WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Images

Post Maine August 2016 Rangeley-to-Caratunk

Maine August 2016 Rangeley-to-Caratunk

I am planning to return to Maine in August, where I left off last September, at Rangeley, Maine, and hike for a little less than two weeks, to Caratunk. I would love any feedback, input, suggestions, hints, or constructive criticism of our plans. Feel free to post here or PM or email me. As things stand now, there are two of us, but I anticipate perhaps one or two others will sign up. If anyone here on WhiteBlaze is interested in joining us for this hike or any portion of it, or just meeting in town for dinner, please don't hesitate to speak up.

This is a very tentative schedule so far--

8/21 Sun - fly from Nashville to Boston (stay with family)
    8/22 Mon - afternoon bus to Gorham, stay at White Mountains Lodge & Hostel (we love that place!)
    8/23 Tue - 3.6 miles Hwy 4 (Rangeley) to Eddy Pond (after shuttle from Gorham)
    8/24 Wed - 7.1 mi from Eddy Pond to Poplar Ridge Lean-to
    8/25 Thu - 8.0 mi from Poplar Ridge LT to Spaulding Mtn LT
    8/26 Fri - 6.2 mi from Spaulding Mtn LT to Crocker Cirque Campsite
    8/27 Sat - 7.3 mi from Crocker Cirque CS to Hwy 27 (Stratton)
    Subtotal - 32.2 miles

8/28 SUNDAY - ZERO day in Stratton (if needed)

8/29 Mon - 5.1 mi Hwy 27 (Stratton) to Horns Pond LT
    8/30 Tue - 5.3 mi Horns Pond LT to Safford Notch Campsite
    8/31 Wed - 4.9 mi Safford Notch CS to Little Bigelow LT
    9/1 Thu - 7.7 mi Little Bigelow LT to West Carry Pond LT
    9/2 Fri - 10 mi from West Carry Pond LT to Harrison's Pierce Pond Camp
    9/3 Sat - 4 mi from Harrison's Pierce Pond Camp to US Hwy 201 (Caratunk), shuttle and/or bus back to Boston
    Subtotal - 37.0 miles
    TOTAL - 69.2 MILES in 10 actual hiking days
    9/4 Sun - Fly Home from Boston to Nashville

If any of those days during the first half prove too difficult for us, we'll shorten them, then either skip the ZERO in Stratton or double-up on two days toward the end of our hike, when the days should be much easier.

And, not to be morbid, but I acknowledge we will be going right by where Inchworm (who lived just a few miles down the road from me here in Nashville) went missing.

We have Bruce Feige lined up to shuttle us to Rangeley, but nothing arranged yet to get from Caratunk to Boston. Suggestions? Our flight home from Boston is mid-day Sunday, September 4th, the day before Labor Day.

Thanks in advance of all suggestions and critique! The AT community is awesome!

Last edited by Rain Man; 06-22-2016 at 13:23.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I ended a section hike at Caratunk with no plans for how to get back to Boston (where I was heading, too). We got a ride up to Northern Outdoors. As soon as I got there, I asked at the front desk about rides. They asked around, and it turned out that one of the women working there was driving down to Waterville the next morning. I think that they said it was pretty regular for people who work there to be driving down to Waterville. We arrived in Waterville too late for the daily Greyhound to Boston, so we crashed at a hotel near the bus station/airport and caught the bus the next morning.

If I were you, I would absolutely leave an extra day to get back to Boston. Even if you arrange a ride with a shuttler to get to Waterville or even to Boston, things have a way of falling through, and you wouldn't want to miss your flight.

BTW, it looks like you can rent a car in Waterville and take it to Boston. That might be an option, too.

Yeah, it's pretty remote territory and a long way back to Boston.

If weather cooperates, you're in for an incredible hike. I'm jealous!

You could probably make it from rt27 to Avery campsite in the Col between Avery and West Peak, easy enough, then go from West Peak to Little Bigelow shelter. Unless you want to stay at Horns pond. Its a nice place. Horns pond to Safford brook is pretty tough. South Horn is a pretty steep climb and its a pretty steep descent down to Safford brook campsite, with those two 4kers in between. My gf and I did the Bigelows last year, starting around noon on the first day and stayed at Horns pond. Next day, we finished at Safford brook campsite. In comparison, a group of thru hikers started at rt 27, hungover, at noon and camped at Safford brook with us, that same day.

If you start ealier in the day from 27, you would have more time to climb up South Horn and West Peak. From Horns Pond to Avery is like 2 more miles, I think. But, your plan for the Bigelows was exactly what my gf and I did on a long weekend ladt year. We have no regrets.

We haven't forgotten you Rainman. I'm trying to pin down our schedule to see if we can't either elimiate that bus ride out of Boston or provide your ride back to it! I'll be getting back to you soon with when/where we can get together!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Bruce Feige is Golden Waldo, right? He shuttled my son and me from Gorham to the Dartmouth lodge to the east of Mt. Moosilauke in 2005. Interesting guy. There aren't all that many Louisiana natives living in northern New Hampshire.

One of these years, Rainman, I'll try to catch up with you. I hope to be in Gorham sometime the week of Aug. 21, heading to Caratunk. But I'm not a big miles person, especially on that chunk of trail.

Its funny, last year I missed him at Bald Pate shelter by two days. This year, I'll miss him by about two days in Caratunk.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Bruce Feige is Golden Waldo, right? He shuttled my son and me from Gorham to the Dartmouth lodge to the east of Mt. Moosilauke in 2005. Interesting guy. There aren't all that many Louisiana natives living in northern New Hampshire.

One of these years, Rainman, I'll try to catch up with you. I hope to be in Gorham sometime the week of Aug. 21, heading to Caratunk. But I'm not a big miles person, especially on that chunk of trail.
    Tiptoe,

Maybe we can arrange something where the two of us meet the Rainman and hike with him for an abbreviated stretch. PM me if you're interested!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I am interested, Teacher, but neither of us has pinned down dates yet. I'll pm you when I figure out my plans, and maybe you could pm me when you and Rainman settle on a plan.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Its funny, last year I missed him at Bald Pate shelter by two days. This year, I'll miss him by about two days in Caratunk.
    Then what's wrong with you?! Git on the ball!!! ~wink~
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    We haven't forgotten you Rain Man. I'm trying to pin down our schedule to see if we can't either elimiate that bus ride out of Boston or provide your ride back to it! I'll be getting back to you soon with when/where we can get together!
    Either would be GREAT, but all things equal, it's the way back to Boston that I've got to work on. But sure wouldn't run down a ride to Gorham or Rangeley instead of the bus.

Here's hoping something works out! Thanks, Teacher!

Images

Louisiana? My hike partner, Mama Bear, is a Louisiana native!

One of these years, Rain Man, I'll try to catch up with you. I hope to be in Gorham sometime the week of Aug. 21, heading to Caratunk. But I'm not a big miles person, especially on that chunk of trail.
    You did notice all my 5-mile days, didn't you?! Learned my lesson. About a 6 mpd average is all I'm good for up there.

Yes, if I can do 6 or 7 mpd up there, I'll be more than pleased.

You should make good time between Flagstaff Lake and Caratunk. No big climbs in that stretch, all pretty level.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Then what's wrong with you?! Git on the ball!!! ~wink~
    I'm traveling South from Daicey Pond starting on the 20th. It will be iffy if we can Make Caratunk by the time you leave it, but if we do, I'll look out for the couple that talk "funny" ;-)

Yes, if I can do 6 or 7 mpd up there, I'll be more than pleased.
    (choke)....that many?

8/22 Mon - afternoon bus to Gorham, stay at White Mountains Lodge & Hostel (we love that place!)
    8/23 Tue - 3.6 miles Hwy 4 (Rangeley) to Eddy Pond (after shuttle from Gorham)

Ok Rainman, I've got your bus rides covered, and if I can get a ride back to my car from Eddy Pond then I'd love to join you for the 3.6 (is there a road access?)

9/3 Sat - 4 mi from Harrison's Pierce Pond Camp to US Hwy 201 (Caratunk), shuttle and/or bus back to Boston

I've got this one too. If possible I'll meet you at Pierce Pond and hike the finale (maybe with Tiptoe?) but either way I'll get you back to Boston. Of course the cannoli at Mike's are on you!!!!

Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 06-25-2016 at 13:24.

Images

Ok Rain Man, I've got your bus rides covered, and if I can get a ride back to my car from Eddy Pond then I'd love to join you for the 3.6 (is there a road access?)
    No idea about road access to Eddy Pond, but am sure we can find out!

9/3 Sat - 4 mi from Harrison's Pierce Pond Camp to US Hwy 201 (Caratunk), shuttle and/or bus back to Boston. I've got this one too. If possible I'll meet you at Pierce Pond and hike the finale (maybe with Tiptoe?) but either way I'll get you back to Boston. Of course the cannoli at Mike's are on you!!!!
    Wow! Well worth the cannolis at Mike's (what have I gotten myself into?!)!!

THANK SO MUCH, Teacher! I sure look forward to seeing you again and muchly appreciate your kind generosity/trail magic!!!

Will be in touch via text also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    No idea about road access to Eddy Pond, but am sure we can find out!
    I've been giving this some thought. It would be easy enough for me to just accompany you from Rangeley 4 to the Piazza Rock Lean-To and then turn back to my car. There doesn't appear to be an easy approach to Eddy Pond....at least not one that wouldn't cost megabucks for a shuttle. A there-and-back would give you a respectable send-off and me some Maine miles
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 06-26-2016 at 23:59.

No road access to Eddy Pond. Its not that far from Piazza Rock. Grace, the caretaker at Piazza rock, knows of a quicker way to the top of Saddleback, that, I think, uses an access road to the ski resort. We hiked that section a couple years ago and met Grace walking up to the campsite at Piazza Rock. We talked to her a bit and climbed Saddleback and there she was building scree walls to keep hikers on the trail and off the alpine vegetation. We hiked back down the mountain, and she was back at the campsite again. She never passed us but she was always ahead of us. It was kinda spooky.

Images

I've been giving this some thought. It would be easy enough for me to just accompany you from Rangeley 4 to the Piazza Rock Lean-To and then turn back to my car. There doesn't appear to be an easy approach to Eddy Pond....at least not one that wouldn't cost megabucks for a shuttle. A there-and-back would give you a respectable send-off and me some Maine miles
    Sounds good! And you could carry my pack for me! LOLOL!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++