WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Great Smoky Mountain Permits

Has anyone had any problem securing a permit to hike the AT through Great Smoky Mountains National Park during leaf peeping season in the fall? I was not sure if they had a quota for section hikers as opposed to thru-hikers. I know in popular national parks like the Grand Canyon or Yosemite, some people have to apply a year in advance for permits. I understand if you start your hike over 100 miles from the park's borders, the rules are a little different. If anyone can answer this and jot down a brief tutorial of how to get a permit, including how far in advance, I would appreciate it. Thanks--Turk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    Has anyone had any problem securing a permit to hike the AT through Great Smoky Mountains National Park during leaf peeping season in the fall? I was not sure if they had a quota for section hikers as opposed to thru-hikers. I know in popular national parks like the Grand Canyon or Yosemite, some people have to apply a year in advance for permits. I understand if you start your hike over 100 miles from the park's borders, the rules are a little different. If anyone can answer this and jot down a brief tutorial of how to get a permit, including how far in advance, I would appreciate it. Thanks--Turk
    The rule is 50 miles, not 100. There's no quota, except that when shelters are full, you can't reserve space. Shelter space can only be reserved during a 30-day window prior to your trip. Generally leaf peepers stay in their cars and don't impact the AT very much. The link TNHiker provided is your best source of information.

Journal Entries

You are really not getting permit to hike.
    You are getting permit to sleep, it is regulating sleeping priveleges.
    Leaf season is definitely a popular hiking time.

If you have any questions about any National Park, go to the source.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here's a quick summary:

Thru:
    If you are starting and ending your hike 50 miles beyond the GSMNP boundary, you qualify for the Thru-Hiker Permit.
    This permit has a flat $20 fee, doesn't require reservations, and restricts you to shelters/campsites along the AT.
    At shelters, you must stay in the shelter unless it is full, in which case you may camp in the general vicinity of the shelter.
    You must exit the park within 8 days of entering the park.

General:
    If you do not quality for a Thru Hiker Permit, you must obtain a General Backcounty Permit.
    This permit has a $4/night fee and requires a reservation for each specific shelter/campsite for a specific night you plan to camp there.
    At shelters, you must stay in the shelter (those with reservations take priority over AT Thru Hikers).
    Reservations for the entire trip may be obtained up-to 30 days in advance of the start of your trip.
    (Actually, the way the website does it, 'today' counts as day 1, so you can really only reserve 29 days in advance).

++ New Posts ++