WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

She made some good points. Hacking away at living trees violates the LNT ethos supported by most outdoors people. No need to do chop up trees. If you want to hack at trees, join a trail maintaining club and do some good and build trail karma.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    Yet another article written by a bark-chewing left wing activist who is obviously educated far beyond her intelligence. The article was void of logic and obviously directed toward an audience void of the same. She uses the same fraudulent assumptions that ignorant anti-gunners use in their senseless rant to disarm law abiding citizens.

Yes, I always carry a knife and (sometimes) a lightweight hatchet on my hiking excursions. Both I have found useful, practical and, on many occasions, essential. Also, (now everyone run to your safe-zones) I am almost always armed with a firearm. ALWAYS, I am respectful of nature and the beautiful natural life that surrounds me, and which provides me solace from the idiocy of urban society.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    where's that dang <like> button
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Yet another article written by a bark-chewing left wing activist who is obviously educated far beyond her intelligence. The article was void of logic and obviously directed toward an audience void of the same. She uses the same fraudulent assumptions that ignorant anti-gunners use in their senseless rant to disarm law abiding citizens.

Yes, I always carry a knife and (sometimes) a lightweight hatchet on my hiking excursions. Both I have found useful, practical and, on many occasions, essential. Also, (now everyone run to your safe-zones) I am almost always armed with a firearm. ALWAYS, I am respectful of nature and the beautiful natural life that surrounds me, and which provides me solace from the idiocy of urban society.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    It would be more productive, useful and simpler to say why you carry the tools rather than the political rant you just did. Contrast AK's thoughtful post with your screed. Also note Cosmo and the author of the original article were applying these lesson for very heavily traveled corridors versus more isolated areas.

And finally, guns were never mentioned.

Let's keep it that way.
    Last edited by Mags; 06-23-2016 at 20:50.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by greentick View Post
    where's that dang <like> button
    where's the block or "ignore" feature?

How much damage like she describes in the article has anyone seen? I've never encountered anyone killing live trees. Those were fresh cuts on large trees. Does that seemed staged? I think the kind of people who would do that are probably the same ones who would trash up a site or damage a shelter. Few and far between. I am not impressed with the article. I don't like being "lectured" for using tools appropriately just because someone might abuse them.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    How much damage like she describes in the article has anyone seen? I've never encountered anyone killing live trees. Those were fresh cuts on large trees. Does that seemed staged? I think the kind of people who would do that are probably the same ones who would trash up a site or damage a shelter. Few and far between. I am not impressed with the article. I don't like being "lectured" for using tools appropriately just because someone might abuse them.
    If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, no reason to be offended. You seriously think the author cut down trees for the photos in that article?

Cosmo is one of the good guys. He's done more for the AT than most folks here can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, no reason to be offended. You seriously think the author cut down trees for the photos in that article?

Cosmo is one of the good guys. He's done more for the AT than most folks here can imagine.
    Did Cosmo write the linked article? A lot of stuff like this on the internet is staged. It pays to be skeptical. Why write an article telling people how to live when they are very likely not causing the problems. If someone doesn't want a saw or hatchet no reason to tell te rest of us not to bring them.

Did Cosmo write the linked article? A lot of stuff like this on the internet is staged. It pays to be skeptical. Why write an article telling people how to live when they are very likely not causing the problems. If someone doesn't want a saw or hatchet no reason to tell te rest of us not to bring them.
    Thou doth protest too much, methinks.

How much damage like she describes in the article has anyone seen?
    A fair amount, unfortunately. Usually at dispersed camping areas in addition to places not too far up from popular trailheads.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

In the first 237 miles of the AT, as well as other places I've been hiking in FL, I have seen plenty of damage and destruction to living trees, shelters - erosion from rocks intentionally pulled up from the trail, trash left in fire pits or just anywhere in the woods, etc. The reading material people are supposed to read before paying for their backcountry camping permit in the smokies clearly states several rules; such as not to collect fallen wood larger than your wrist, yet how often are there thigh sized logs half burned around the fire pits? Why would you carry a saw, hatchet, or axe when the only wood you should be gathering can be broken by hand, knee, or foot?

Sure, responsible hikers understand why the need for preservation is important - but there are clearly a LOT of hikers who don't yet know or understand the need to think of the larger picture, or why they should resist the urge to go all caveman or survival show on every piece of wilderness they pass... so any way to spread the word or teach the reasoning for LNT is, to me, just fine.

Unless you are Ranger/Police you really don't need a gun. Unless you are doing trail maintenance you really don't need an axe, saw or such. My pack is too heavy now, I don't need that kinda silly stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Unless you are Ranger/Police you really don't need a gun. Unless you are doing trail maintenance you really don't need an axe, saw or such. My pack is too heavy now, I don't need that kinda silly stuff.
    Some people dont think you need a tent or stove, either ;-) he has to carry that chunk of iron, I dont, but im not one to tell him he cant have it. Its one of those protected, freedom of choice things, that'sin the Constitution.

Journal Entries
    Images

(emphasis mine)

You're projecting YOUR lack of needs on to someone else's experience. If you don't think you need something, who are you to say no one else needs them? Example- You don't need to carry such a heavy pack, you should go lighter. I go as light as possible. See how that works?

It's irksome when people say someone doesn't need something thay they themselves don't like to use/carry. That's like saying nobody NEEDS to have a vehicle that goes faster than 70 mph, but they all do.

HYOH.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Images

blah, blah, blah.... Yes, I always carry a knife and (sometimes) a lightweight hatchet on my hiking excursions. Both I have found useful, practical and, on many occasions, essential.
    Please, pray tell, in what way were any of these items practical let alone essential? I'm just aching to know. 50 years of backpacking, tens of thousands of miles hiked and I've personally never, ever needed anything more than a little knife. WHAT have I been missing?

No it's not in the Constitution. Unless you are part of the National Guard or other military "Militia" you have no right for a personal firearm. Do your homework. I have said my piece and will not further respond. Can you quote the 2nd amendment?? I can.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Funny, the opening post Makes no mention of guns. Post 23, does mention them but it's the moderator reminding us that this thread isn't a discussion about them...
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 06-24-2016 at 18:03.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Define militia

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Define militia
    It's what hipsters name their daughters because "Melissa" isn't cool enough for them.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

No it's not in the Constitution. Unless you are part of the National Guard or other military "Militia" you have no right for a personal firearm. Do your homework. I have said my piece and will not further respond. Can you quote the 2nd amendment?? I can.
    As someone who swore an oath to defend the Constitution, your reading of the Federalist papers and the intentions of the framers of the Bill of Rights is obviously flawed. Militia is the "entirety of the people". Well regulated, means "equipped as well as a regular" Army. Obviously, Stalin, Mao and Hitler approves of your warping of historical context. Bravo!

We went from a nice article on perhaps it is best not to play Paul Bunyan in the woods on our popular trails. And maybe do some volunteer work instead.

To discussing firearms and 2nd amendment rights, Hitler, Mao and Stalin.

In the words of my mother "What a bunch of chooches"

For the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, please consider something more productive with your time.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/volunteer
    http://www.pcta.org/volunteer/
    http://continentaldividetrail.org/vo...with-the-cdtc/

You'll get to play with big tools. And there is often beer at the end.
    Last edited by Mags; 06-24-2016 at 18:29.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++