WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Definitely a solid plan. Let me ask: think a Zpacks 20 degree solo bag will do well for this hike?
    To each his own. I will be using my WM Alpinlite in the San Juan mountains. I bought it specifically for trips like the one I have planned. Any later and I would use my WM Antelope for near winter trips. My friend who is going with me has a ZPacks 20. We'll see if it works as well.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    How about the Benton MacKaye Trail? Similar territory to the AT, but much quieter.
    That's a great suggestion but I guess I should've mentioned my goal is to be out on a trail for 60 days. 300 miles would probably not be too suitable for this. But good suggestion nonetheless!

You're showing little effort researching appropriate hikes for your agenda that many have suggested. Here again you're getting caught up in only a named trail/named hike. With marginal research effort one would quickly realize trails like the BMT can be incorporated in whole or in part with other trails. For example the BMT/AT loop is 520+ miles. Another example is thru-hiking the Pinhoti Tr to the BMT junction and doing the BMT to Springer Mt or to GSMNP on the AT for a much longer than 300 mile hike. So many long legged lollipop type hikes to pick from. Good time to experience hiking these trails between Sept-Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    How about the Benton MacKaye Trail? Similar territory to the AT, but much quieter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    You might consider putting together 60-days hike on the Pacific Northwest Trail..
    They have trail section GPS and there is a PNT forum.
    Tell your preferences: little or no road-walk, availability of water, scenic.
    NO WAY would I be suggesting 60 days on the PNT for Rybir in Sept-Nov. This is one of the most difficult route finding LD trails in the U.S. in some of it's sections. Plus MUCH of it's REMOTE.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    A first-timer on the AZT should count on spending substantial extra time, money and effort on logistics, mainly placing water caches by car--preferably with high clearance and AWD. If you don't or can't do this, you should be experienced in desert hiking, including up to 40-mile water carries.

Travel to the termini is more difficult/expensive than with some other trails.

That is the perfect time frame for a SOBO AZT hike, and the solitude quotient is very high most of the way.

And, dare I submit, that's not likely to happen in the OP's situation. Rybir can get everything he/she wants much closer to home for his/her first LD hike attempt. Besides, he's still all over the place having yet not narrowed it down to even a region of the U.S. he will hike. Seems much more still in the let's talk about it phase rather than making more exact plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    And, dare I submit, that's not likely to happen in the OP's situation. Rybir can get everything he/she wants much closer to home for his/her first LD hike attempt. Besides, he's still all over the place having yet not narrowed it down to even a region of the U.S. he will hike. Seems much more still in the let's talk about it phase rather than making more exact plans.
    I see where you're coming from. Especially because it was only touched upon briefly. But I just had a suprise 3rd surgery on my hand resulting from a pretty bad car accident last December. Recovery keeps getting pushed back as Im in a purgatorial medical case kinda thing. I 100 percent was settled on Tahoe to Crater Lake with a late July start. But things change and I have had to remain flexible through all the planning phases.

My goals are still all consistent:

1. 60 days
    2. Solitude is high priority
    3. Not the Eastcoast. I have an opportunity to see a landscape I have never experienced in the PCT, AZT, or other Western trails.

The hiking part is easy. You have a viable window in September and October assuming you're smart about the section and direction you choose.
    The tricky bits are transportation to/from the hike. You really need to know how to get to the trail and back. Another potential hike ruining possibility is seasonal closings of critical resupply locations. Know where you will need food and fuel and verify with the vendors that they will be there when you get there.
    Every day in September that you aren't hiking could bite you in October.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The hiking part is easy. You have a viable window in September and October assuming you're smart about the section and direction you choose.
    The tricky bits are transportation to/from the hike. You really need to know how to get to the trail and back. Another potential hike ruining possibility is seasonal closings of critical resupply locations. Know where you will need food and fuel and verify with the vendors that they will be there when you get there.
    Every day in September that you aren't hiking could bite you in October.
    Wayne

Anyone have knowledge of availability of resupply towns in the Sierras in October?

Anyone have knowledge of availability of resupply towns in the Sierras in October?
    The results of about 10 seconds searching the web:
    http://planyourhike.com/planning/resupplypoints.php
    Time for you to do some homework.
    Wayne

The results of about 10 seconds searching the web:
    http://planyourhike.com/planning/resupplypoints.php
    Time for you to do some homework.
    Wayne

Awesome. Thank you

You're welcome.
    You should be looking for and finding this type of information. "pct resupply" is all it took. I'm surprised you haven't looked at the PCT planning information.
    Wayne

You're welcome.
    You should be looking for and finding this type of information. "pct resupply" is all it took. I'm surprised you haven't looked at the PCT planning information.
    Wayne

I've done a lot on craigs pct planner in the beginning stages. But then hit this setback and was faced with a wave of discouragement. Now moving out of that. This hike will be that much better with all that has gone down before it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++