WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyBluer View Post
    Enjoy your hike, but with a child you really should camel up with water before you start up Sassafras, down the other side and then up Justus Mtn. Very rugged up and down there that will have you repeatedly calling out God's name. Once past Justus Mtn things get much better terrain wise.

I should probably clarify that this is not a small child, but a 5' tall 11 year old who can carry his own water (mine too if I'm lucky!!! ) But point taken on the camel-up suggestion.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Don't be afraid to stop and smell the roses, especially with your child. Sticking to a rigid schedule can make hiking an undesirable chore rather than a refreshing adventure in nature.

I just learned this lesson myself. Setting off up to the top of blood mountain, then to Unicoi gap. Should have been a nice 2.5 day 26 mile refreshing hike. Instead, I was late starting (should have skipped Blood mtn) and only made it just past Neels gap by night fall. Then a nice hike to low gap (10 miles). Should have stayed here, but I was on a self imposed schedule. After a break, I went on. There was no water, so went another 8 miles to blue mountain shelter. Long day, my knees were killing me. Not refreshing or relaxing. The short hike the next morning also not fun because I was so sore.

Moral of the story, forget the schedule one you start. Enjoy the time in nature. There are plenty of places to stop and camp where you are going. Just be aware of the water situation before you go.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    How have you been Fatman and will I get to meet you this October?
    Do you have your dates set? My calendar is filling up. :lol

If I'm here your group should consider staying at my home at Grassy Gap instead of Wolfpen Hostel. You could walk-in at Grassy Gap or I could come get you at Woody.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Do you have your dates set? My calendar is filling up. :lol

If I'm here your group should consider staying at my home at Grassy Gap instead of Wolfpen Hostel. You could walk-in at Grassy Gap or I could come get you at Woody.
    Yes, the dates are set and I'll pm them to you, and I believe that's an offer too good to refuse! Here's hoping we can get together! Thanks
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by floid View Post
    Don't be afraid to stop and smell the roses, especially with your child. Sticking to a rigid schedule can make hiking an undesirable chore rather than a refreshing adventure in nature.

I just learned this lesson myself. Setting off up to the top of blood mountain, then to Unicoi gap. Should have been a nice 2.5 day 26 mile refreshing hike. Instead, I was late starting (should have skipped Blood mtn) and only made it just past Neels gap by night fall. Then a nice hike to low gap (10 miles). Should have stayed here, but I was on a self imposed schedule. After a break, I went on. There was no water, so went another 8 miles to blue mountain shelter. Long day, my knees were killing me. Not refreshing or relaxing. The short hike the next morning also not fun because I was so sore.

Moral of the story, forget the schedule one you start. Enjoy the time in nature. There are plenty of places to stop and camp where you are going. Just be aware of the water situation before you go.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    I have a very carefully planned schedule that I fully intend to toss at a moment's notice. The exercise of scheduling is simply entertainment value and to prove that what I want to do can be done in a reasonable fashion. Once the first step is taken, it's all about fun.

Leonidas

Wood's Hole shows 0.2 on AWOL but .5 miles is definitely more like it. We kept thinking we had missed a turn. Water was completely dry there last week.

Journal Entries
    Images

AWOL Guide will help you a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++