WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Snakes Question

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Kill it, skin it, grille it, eat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    +1 if it is a rattlesnake.
    Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Leave rattlesnakes alone. They eat mice. Mice spread Lyme Disease. Karma will give you Lyme disease on your hike.
    Yeah, leave them alone, especially rattlesnakes as they are legally protected in the TN/NC mountains where I go backpacking. I put snake killers up there with clearcut loggers and howling camp drunks who build giant bonfires.

I just got back from a 19 day backpacking trip into the Citico wilderness and saw two fine timber rattlers on two separate trails. One was named Jimmy and I sat with him for an hour and we talked. He told me he's proud of his rattle and told me he thinks he's King of the Citico and I told him he certainly is king.

I will post this trip report here as soon as I download the pics.

Rattlesnakes are like grizzlies and black bears and are the symbols of wilderness. They keep you humble and observant and respectful. NEVER kill any snake when in their territory. Karma will get you snake bit on your next trip.

If you're overly paranoid and want to hike thru the hottest summer months, invest in a pair of these snake gaiters---Turtleskins. Not cheap but only 6oz each.

Leonidas

Saw a guy wearing gaiters just like those today. Also found a foot and a half long copperhead, left him be as he was in what was left of the stream catching some breakfast. Forgot to take a pic, went back to snap one and he was gone.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    NEVER kill any snake when in their territory. Karma will get you snake bit on your next trip.

If you're overly paranoid and want to hike thru the hottest summer months, invest in a pair of these snake gaiters---Turtleskins. Not cheap but only 6oz each.
    LOL, yeah that would be pretty paranoid. I think I'll stick with my socks. I too like snakes, I used to catch them when I was a kid, but of course they weren't rattlers, just the common ribbon snake / garter snake that's everywhere up in Wisconsin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++