WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 7 day section hike GA/NC recommendations

I'm planning on doing a section hike of GA/NC and while I had been planning on doing a one-way, I don't think I can logistically arrange that and I know shuttles are possible, but I am trying to save as much money as I can for a trip to Europe next summer. So, instead, I'm going to try an out and back. Any suggestions on sections? I'd like to stay within 3 hours of Athens, GA. I'm thinking I'll park at Standing Indian Campground (because I've heard that we can pay a $2/night and my car will be safe, obviously a big requirement) and hiking out to Deep Gap and on to Sassafrass and back. Don't know if I'll make that hike in 7 days, but I'll see how far I make it in 3.5 days out. I plan to restock about halfway at Nantahala Outdoor Center, mile 137.2. Does this plan sound crazy or solid? Are there any other sections you would recommend where I could leave my car safely for a week and that would be a pretty/fun hike? Thanks y'all!

Most of the GA trailheads seem to be reasonably safe to leave a car at. I have left mine at Unicoi Gap for a week without issues, and nearly a week at Neel. I do know Winding Stair Gap has had very recent vandalism and break ins so I would avoid that area.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Most of the GA trailheads seem to be reasonably safe to leave a car at. I have left mine at Unicoi Gap for a week without issues, and nearly a week at Neel. I do know Winding Stair Gap has had very recent vandalism and break ins so I would avoid that area.
    Do you have any recent information about the acts of vandalism at WSG? I park there often and have heard of no recent acts. There have been posts here on White Blaze noting about acts of vandalism years ago, but no mention of recent activity. Thanks.

Honestly don't remember if it was posted here or on one of the Facebook groups. Basically 2 cars got broken into and someone drove by shooting at stuff. Local sheriff told the person that posted that they were having some issues with vandalism and breaking in cars there by the locals. This was within the last month as far as I'm aware.

++ New Posts ++