WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintheforest View Post
    Just came across this thread I started again, so thought I'd update on my experience in case anyone else asks the same question. I did end up bringing a tent, and I'm glad that I did. I did, however, meet several people who didn't bring tents or hammocks and slept only in shelters. And they all survived, and at least 2 of those people finished an E2E hike. I only had one night with a full shelter where people were turned away due to space limitations.

I would say you can go without a tent and you'll probably be fine, as I met several people who did this. But if you reach a full shelter at 7pm, you'll have to ask someone else in the shelter to leave, because they were prepared and brought a tent and you didn't, and that' a real ******* move.
    ROFLMAO if I was set up in a shelter and some dick came in at 7pm and asked someone else who had a tent to move out there is NO WAY IN HELL I WOULD MOVE OUT OF THE SHELTER. And I always carry a tent and I don't use shelters unless forced to.

Now, if it meant the difference between someone living or dying, that's different. But just because you wanted to shave weight? Hell no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

Of course, your not special.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    ROFLMAO if I was set up in a shelter and some dick came in at 7pm and asked someone else who had a tent to move out there is NO WAY IN HELL I WOULD MOVE OUT OF THE SHELTER. And I always carry a tent and I don't use shelters unless forced to.

Now, if it meant the difference between someone living or dying, that's different. But just because you wanted to shave weight? Hell no.

My thoughts exactly.
    Im no fan of shelters, but if it wasnt raining , ie life threatening, Id expect everyone in shelter to tell somebody who demanded room just what they should go do to themself.

If it was raining someone should say " here, use my tarp. I need it back at 7am"
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-05-2017 at 19:09.

I just did 117 miles and slept in shelters all but one night. Some shelters cost 5 bucks to stay in and most in the south section below Killington are really nice. Take a tent as precaution.

Many of the shelters are overrun in anything but way off season. Some charge. Many stink, many are overrun with rodents. Rain and crowds happen, bring a tent.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++