WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Tragedy at West Glacier

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/06/29...-west-glacier/

Ranger lost after bike ride encounters bear.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Sad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/07/02...er-park-winds/

This matches what I've heard through the grapevine as well--that the cyclist actually ran into the bear, which is why they have been saying that it was not a predatory act. It also answers the question how this could have happened to a law enforcement ranger--it was essentially a freak traffic accident more than a bear attack.

As far as I know, it hasn't been determined yet whether it was a grizzly or a black bear.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries

Wildlife response team investigator Brian Sommers says he believes Treat was riding at a high rate of speed on a narrow trail when he collided with the bear that then attacked him. A family member who was biking with Treat was not attacked and was able to summon help.
    “Sight visibility at the location of the collision is very limited and the collision was unavoidable,” FWP officials said in a press release Saturday. “The bear reacted which led to the attack.”

Riding with limited visibility at a high rate of speed .....would seem to be something that could have been avoided, despite the officials statement.

Yes, sad.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-03-2016 at 15:00.

Wow didn't realize he actually ran into the bear! Damn that's bad luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you can't see the trail, because there are curves or trees and foliage, it is not a trail for "gonzo" downhill riding.. I live here and I know of no designated trails for mountain bikes and so he could have just as readily run into a hiker.

It is possible, however, that was a designated mountain bike trail, because there is a KOA reasonably nearby.

I don't know.

It is all so tragic.. a young man, like that.

It isn't actually West Glacier, I think, because West Glacier is a village in Glacier National Park, MT.

He was in Flathead National Forest west of Glacier National Park.

Sad and scary! I just got back from bike riding in northern Wisconsin National Forest and we scared up a black bear right in front us as we were cruising down the forest road. Those things can run fast! Second one I saw this year. Lots of bears out there!

Images

Riding on the Camas Rd. inside GNP yesterday a large bear ran speedily across the road a few hundred feet in front of us. On a paved road at bike speed (especially grinding along uphill, as we were then) you're not likely to hit one, or be hit. But I see more bears while riding than I ever do while hiking, and I spend more time hiking than biking. There's something about the speed and quietness of a bike that allows you to sneak up on wildlife.

Yesterday we also saw a road-killed pine marten, and live deer and a black mink crossing the road.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

++ New Posts ++