WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pack Weight...

Images

Question Pack Weight...

ArmyRuckSack.jpg
    Greetings all.

Question about ideal pack weight.

All this is for a week hike.

I have an army rucksack.
    Not sure how big, but I am guessing 50L-70L (adding picture, if anyone has an idea).
    It might weigh a bit more than one from LL Bean, but a) I'm section hiking, so a week at most and b) IT WAS FREE.
    You get what you pay for, I know, but still...

In it, I have an LL Bean tent (Microlight UL 2-Person which fits perfectly in one of the outside pockets) and tent pad.
    I also have an Esbit 5 piece stove, with 8 oz fuel.
    Also, a netted hammock.

So, I am looking at about 6# for the sack, 2# for the tent, 2 for the stove and 2 for the hammock.
    12# so far.

I plan to have a week's worth of freeze dried food, so 16 X 5 oz = 80 oz or 5# (carry 2 extra).

Now at 17#.

I'll have 2 1-qt canteens (on sack), a water filter, spare clothing, rain cover, TP / toiletries, rain gear and miscellaneous odds and ends.
    ? another 13#?

So, I am GUESSING about 30#.

What weight should I be shooing for and what should I look at adding / taking away?

I hope to get thorough MD in October, NJ and / or CT in spring, and MAYBE the 100 mile wilderness in August-September.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Alex

A lot of this depends on your physical condition and how far you plan to travel each day. For example, it's entirely possible to easily carry that gear with no training, for a half mile per day. It's unrealistic for someone out of shape and never hiked to think that they can haul all that 20+ miles per day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    A lot of this depends on your physical condition and how far you plan to travel each day. For example, it's entirely possible to easily carry that gear with no training, for a half mile per day. It's unrealistic for someone out of shape and never hiked to think that they can haul all that 20+ miles per day.
    Well, I would have to admit being closer to the latter than the former.
    But I plan to spend the summer getting ready (gym and hitting the AT for a few miles at a clip, or even overnight), and following up in winter.
    In terms of hiking, I am fairly new, but I know I can still hump a ruck for at least 10 miles.
    I just have to make sure I can do that over a 4 day period (a pace that should at least get me through MD in October).

Thanks for the reply

Alex

Right off, I'm left wondering why you are carrying a tent and a hammock? You could knock a couple of pounds off your load by choosing one or the other.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by iio View Post
    Right off, I'm left wondering why you are carrying a tent and a hammock? You could knock a couple of pounds off your load by choosing one or the other.
    Basically, options.

I agree with you 100%, but I figured if a 1.5# hammock is what breaks me, I went wrong somewhere else.

Thanks

Alex

You lighten your pack load the most by leaving something home. Pick one and commit to either tenting, or hammocking, but not both.

do you realize how much money someone would need to spend to lighten their packs by 1.5 pounds?

What is a tent pad? Sleep pad? Or ground cloth?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    What is a tent pad? Sleep pad? Or ground cloth?
    Actually both.
    Ground cloth for the tent and a PT mat for sleeping on.

Journal Entries

It really doesnt matter. Are you happy? Can you hike the miles you want? Thats all that matters

Anything under 40 is OK really. Anything under 50 is rough, but do-able.

Not enough food, unless you are an extremely light eater. Think twice as much, at least.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

are you sure 7 days of food 5 lbs ? no snacks and stuff?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

If you're planning to be in Maine in September you're going to need a good sleeping bag. I didn't see one mentioned.
    Because I found a home in haunts which others scorned, the partial wood-gods granted me the freedom of their state, and chiefest prize found I true liberty, the home of homes plain dealing Nature gave

Images

Sorry for the confusion.
    Under "miscellaneous" I put sleeping bag, snacks, first aid kit, etc.
    The food was one pack lunch and one dinner, or 2 for dinner and jerky and trail mix for lunch.
    My breakfast is usually instant coffee and maybe a power bar.

For sleeping, I have the 'army sleep system' of which I was planning to just bring the warm-weather sack.
    It's good to 40 degrees (I believe).
    Quite a bit of that will depend on the weather.
    I'm not a big rain or hot weather person, so if I can have 60s in the day and 40s at night, I will LOVE it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Alex

Journal Entries
    Images

My packs at 29 with 6# of food 4 liters of water a tent and a hammock. Its very doable

I tend to eat 2-2.5lbs per day...I also like Gatorade which is heavy but Wirth it too me...ditch hammock or tent...less is better..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

For a week hike you're looking at around 12 pounds of food if you can get enough calorie dense meals. Trust me, after day 3 your body is going to want sustenance. I'm a section hiker and day two or three is when the hunger hits me. If you're relying solely on freeze dried meals, better to bring some olive oil in a small bottle to supplement.

Speaking of, only relying on freeze dried meals is CRAZY expensive. You need snacks, like GORP, Snickers bars, dried fruit, honeybuns, Kashi bars, honey, packages of sliced pepperoni, etc. That's not even considering the FUEL it's going to take to boil water for all those meals.

Tent & hammock? Choose one or the other. Do a few shakedown hikes with each to see how you like them, then pick ONE.

Also, categorizing a sleeping bag as "miscellaneous" is a crime worthy of being tarred and feathered here. As 1/3 of your "Big Three", next to the pack and shelter system, it's a major piece of equipment.

I have the lightweight patrol bag as well. It's rated to 40 degrees if you're wearing the Polartec Baselayers. Heavy, but a decent bag if you already have it.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    You lighten your pack load the most by leaving something home. Pick one and commit to either tenting, or hammocking, but not both.

do you realize how much money someone would need to spend to lighten their packs by 1.5 pounds?
    At least $600.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Far ahead to get on the trail for a night or two with what you have and see what works for you. It is such a personal preference! I average about 35-40 pounds for my week long section hikes and I'm OK with that, for now. I like to have certain things, personal preference. And it is different for different times of the year. After 20 + years hiking I am still figuring out what works best, what to leave home, and what to take. I have 4 packs, 2 stoves, and a lot of other gear I am constantly trying. My point is it will take some miles to figure out what works for you and what doesn't. Every hike I do I change it up and make it better. Have a great hike!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    At least $600.
    Good for me. I managed to do it for $425 including NC sales tax and my granddaughter is using the sleeping bag that I replaced. We both win!
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Don't go out for a whole week without doing a good shakedown hike, overnight. Then correct based on your experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++