WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Zaleski Backpack trail in South Eastern Ohio

My Brother and I have picked this trail for his first backpacking trip. I am 56 he is 64. It seems pretty easy. Then we will probably do a week this fall from Caldonia SP to Virginia. Anyone have a good source of information on the trail? we are going to do 3 days I think and do about 6-8 miles a day to hit the camping areas.

I see the water marked on the trail near camping areas, but are there other streams that we can filter water from or do we need to carry all our waters for the day from one water source until the next?

Jeremiah had a horse Buttcrack Johnson's Avatar

Don't drink the local groundwater it is contaminated from the hundred year old slurry from the mining in the area. You will notice the creekbeds are orange and black. Water at the campsites is stored in underground tanks brought in on service roads. The locusts should be gone by now. What a surreal sound that was!!!

Jeremiah had a horse Buttcrack Johnson's Avatar

Stop at the ranger station one mile before the loop trailhead, they have freebie maps. And follow the Orange blazes. Blue blazes all over the place.

2 nights, 3 days is a good plan. If you hike the loop counter-clockwise, the very last section has lots of stream crossings which can be a pain when there has been recent heavy rains. If it's been dry, no worries. Best water is the stored cistern water at the designated campsites.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Thanks for the information. Being this is cistern water, We should plan to filter it?

Cisterns are filled by water trucks using treated city water, as far as I know. I have used it on multiple hikes without treating.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Beware that the camps are in the same location and contain the same cisterns of water; however, they have been re-lettered on new maps. When you self register at the kiosk, it can be a little confusing. I will know better after I hike it next week. Planning on starting counterclockwise on the South loop Tuesday Morning and spending Tuesday night in old Camp D. Your 6-8 mile amount. However, I may do 12 miles and end up in old Camp H. This will allow me to hike the Small Loop that I have never previously hiked and return Wednesday night to Camp H. Another Option would be to Hike from Old Camp D to Camp H and hike that loop for a big day on Wednesday. A final choice is to Use Camp H on Wednesday night but skip the loop (as I have alway's done in the past). Thursday is an easy hike from either Camp back to the Backpacking Trail Head if you don't want a big mile day. Old Camp H back to Letter A, as well as Old Camp D back to Letter A are not major hikes. If you want miles, the Northern Loop traveling counterclockwise back to the trail head will give the Miles's to you. I have never stepped foot on that trail or crossed the road, always staying on the East side. I have never filtered the water from the cisterns, just filling my bottles directly from the spickets. Have never carried massive amounts of water either. Simply one Smart Bottle from Cistern to Cistern and have never ran out. I do carry a filter (don't ask me why, lol) but have never used it in Zaleski. This is my favorite Backbacking trail in Ohio (during the week). Some weekends it can get very busy. Hope you enjoy!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Would love to hear about your trip after you return. We are planning to hike week of July 25. Not sure exactly sure what section we will be doing, but was looking at northern loop, but having looked at a few videos, it sounds like that does not get used as much and you may have to push your way through bushes at times. So maybe the Southern loop is the way to go.

Also, from the videos, I do not see anyone hanging bear bags. Are there no bears in this part of Ohio. Do we just keep our food in our tents?

I use a hammock, so I don't really "sleep" with food. However, I have clipped the food sack to the suspension on the tree. I try to pct hang just for the practice, but finding a quality tree in these constantly used designated campgrounds is difficult. As for bears, I have never heard of any in that specific area, nor have I seen any signs of them. I really believe the bigger issue is coyotes, racoons and oppossum. Since you mentioned watching vids, here is a picture video of a south loop trip from last year: http://youtu.be/ufdJC0OiIAY
    I really do enjoy the south loop and return to it constantly. If you are going during the week, usage drops off, especially Monday through Thursday during the Summer Months. Hocking Hills just north of there, gets all the vacationers versus Backpackers.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

[QUOTE=SkeeterPee;2081091]Would love to hear about your trip after you return. We are planning to hike week of July 25. Not sure exactly sure what section we will be doing, but was looking at northern loop, but having looked at a few videos, it sounds like that does not get used as much and you may have to push your way through bushes at times. So maybe the Southern loop is the way to go[re/QUOTE]

Trip was great, HOT but great. I suggest downloading a new map to I-Books on a Phone if able to. There is a new Kiosk and start to the Backback Loop. They are calling it the "Main Backpacking Trailhead" Letter A and it is located with the Hope School House; with the turn off of 278 by the Lake Dam. The other trailhead is subject to flooding, heavy traffic, and can be a muddy - eroded start to the trail. It is now Letter Z. The New start is 1.9 and intersects the South Loop between Letter Y and Camp 1 at Letter B on the Map. (The other way is 1.6 miles but in constant use.) Turn right to do the South Loop Counterclockwise, the way it is intended. Even though the South Loop is the busiest... I wouldn't skip it. Good Views, climbs have a reason to them and it's a good 1st day distance that allows you the option to stop early and enjoy Camp 2 or push on to Camp 3. Of course there is still the one climb up from the pond that people underestimate. At 56 years old, I seem to alway's stop in Camp 2 for the afternoon and night.

Camp 2 to Camp 3 was a great hike, although the heat got to me. There are no detours anymore, the logging is done, and the trail is marked with new signage, removing the main review complaints 3 to 5 years ago. There is the great climb to another view before you arrive at Camp. This camp has beautiful spots, (More Hammock Trees) and was not nearly as busy as Camp 2. I set up camp around 1:30 in the afternoon and decided against hiking the entire North Loop. I did a mile of the start and then did a mile of the ending from the campsite. It is well mark but did have some overgrowth problems. The only other hikers in camp where two college age brothers that set up camp like I did, but then hike the entire North Loop with a daypack. They also reported some overgrown trails throughout the loop but did the loop in about 3 1/2 hours without packs.

I hiked=back the way I came, to New Letter K (Old Letter F) and skipped crossing the road and doing the West Side of the Middle Loop. I just can't skip the Connector trail that has a beautiful Gorge Feel with Rock outcroppings and recesses. This will bring you to Letter Y and then you head up to the left and Letter B to head back to the main trail head. It is only a 3 1/2 to 4 hour hike out using that connector trail. You could always hike from Letter Y back to the old trailhead through a soft pine forrest trail and then loop back via the Old Hollow Trail (going past the pioneer grave site) back to Letter Y; that would allow you add a mile or so to your hike out.

I love the changes and new signage. I love Zaleski. So I hope you enjoy your trip and would love to hear what you thought after you return.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

++ New Posts ++