WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Party Hostel

Voters
33. This poll is closed
  • Party

0 0%
  • No Party

33 100.00%
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Party Hostel, or Not?

Undoubtedly we all have enjoyed getting together and having a party somewhere someplace. The hiking community is no exception, there are countless hikers coming together along the trail or in town from time to time and having get together's that sometimes turns into being a party.

Are you drawn to hostels that allow a party atmosphere and the why's or why not's?

Back when I was out there on the trail I was always wary of going into a place where the party was. Back then I enjoyed drinking and even a few hard drugs but my big concern mostly was I did not want to be someplace where the law could get called any minute because of bad behavior or open illegal activity.

So party hostel where most everything is allowed or not folks?

If and when I get to hike when I stay at a hostel it will likely be to have a clean dry safe comfortable place to sleep.

If your place is too rowdy ill still stop by and meet you but probably won't stay the night unless I did a work for stay.

Ive read alot about you and your hostel here and in trail journals. Id like to meet you one day.

I voted no...too old to "party" like that. I do enjoy getting together with pleasant, fun people. If I drink a beer or two in the process, so be it. Just not into roudiness anymore.

Images

The 'Party Hostels' have probably destroyed more thru hikes than anything else.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Journal Entries

too much dumbassery goes along

this is your second post on this subject. do not allow alcohol. period

I voted yes to your poll about alcohol and no to this one. It's great to have the opportunity to responsibly enjoy a few beverages at a hostel. But in my experience the word about "anything goes" accommodations spreads very fast among those who seek them, and those people tend to stay put for multiple days at a time leaving a path of destruction and sour feelings for everyone following behind to deal with. Many of the notable incidents of people behaving badly last year happened at such places.

0-14 for no party so far (I'm one of them).

Looks like all the partiers are still nursing hangovers.

Journal Entries
    Images

No thanks for the "party hostel" environment. That's what towns and bars are for. When I get to a hostel I'm more concerned with getting organized, resupply, laundry, and a good night's sleep.

Images

when i look at the guide for a hostel i never take the cheapest. has worked great to avoid the rif-raf.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    when i look at the guide for a hostel i never take the cheapest. has worked great to avoid the rif-raf.
    yup. all the low-lifes usta flock to the "Place" cuz it was a "free" hostel. break all the rules cuz they were special. i usta call cops on the special ones. now it has a wonderful in-house caretaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    this is your second post on this subject. do not allow alcohol. period
    I might start another one too. At this point this is not about me, I ain't doing away with the alcohol already decided that. But I am going to be writing an article about it

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mattjv89 View Post
    I voted yes to your poll about alcohol and no to this one. It's great to have the opportunity to responsibly enjoy a few beverages at a hostel. But in my experience the word about "anything goes" accommodations spreads very fast among those who seek them, and those people tend to stay put for multiple days at a time leaving a path of destruction and sour feelings for everyone following behind to deal with. Many of the notable incidents of people behaving badly last year happened at such places.
    Good analysis. I have personally dealt with folks as such.........

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    I've stayed in some great hostels real cheap that make B&B's look like Disneyland. But I get your point

If your place was out in the woods it wouldn't matter much what went on. But your right on a busy street with close neighbors, so I'd think you'd want to keep it low key and not draw too much attention to your place, which is hard to do if you have a bunch of loud drunks on the porch, throwing up in the bushes and pissing on the lawn every night.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

What is there to be categorized by party, what isn't by allowing alcohol? If your worried about even allowing alcohol, then "partying" I would assume, would automatically be out of the question.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I said yea to allowing alcohol as long as there are some basic rules to follow, but absolutely no to being known as a party place where anything goes. Every single one I've been to that doesn't have a basic set of common courtesy rules ends up trashed, people hungover, and the ones that don't drink don't get a good nights sleep. I enjoy a few brews here and there, but I guess as I'm getting older, I'd be pretty upset if I woke up to a trashed up place with no sleep, knowing I have to press on for another how many miles.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Branding can be a problem, which can also be reputation. Sometimes the business owner gets to choose the branding of the business, sometimes customers or neighbors brand it. Being branded a party place is not going to attract many outside the loud, party crowd. That reputation will precede the business and people who do not want to be involved, exposed, or have to deal with that kind of environment will avoid it like a restaurant that keeps getting a D on their Health Department Inspections.

There is another issue of business citizenship in the town you are in. Good relationships with neighbors and businesses that can serve your clientele are very important. You want to be able to get referrals from them to your place and vice versa, but if the reputation is poor, so goes the referrals.

To cover the business climate issue, I would have some signs around that don't allow booze in common areas (or at all) so people will be more discreet about drinking and gives you more legal muscle to remove unruly drunks. To the outside community looking it, its a sign you run a decent place and anyone they send to you will likely fare well.

Closed per #4 of the user agreement.
    4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++