WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Walking a snail's pace?

So, I'm looking at my Awol Nobo guide book and I have figured that on day eleven I would reach Bly Gap in NC. That's about 7 miles per day of hiking. Also, I would resupply twice ( Neel Gap & Dick's Creek Gap) and visit one town of Hiawassee, Georgia. Does this sound reasonable or is 11 days to the NC state line walking at a snail's pace?

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    So, I'm looking at my Awol Nobo guide book and I have figured that on day eleven I would reach Bly Gap in NC. That's about 7 miles per day of hiking. Also, I would resupply twice ( Neel Gap & Dick's Creek Gap) and visit one town of Hiawassee, Georgia. Does this sound reasonable or is 11 days to the NC state line walking at a snail's pace?
    It could be both. Depends on your goals.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

7 mpd is very slow...truly depends on you...are you a hiker or camper....that's allot of time sitting at camp which would drive me nuts...most folks avg at least 1.5 mph...do the math. If your a newbie I wouldn't even try to set a mpd schedule until you spend a few days out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I add this... For the successful thru hikers, How many days did it take you to hike from Springer to the NC state line? Thanks.

I guess that's what I'm asking. I am a newbie and many folks on this page warn to begin slow. Looking at the guide book, not really trying to pick daily mileage, but rather when and where to tent and resupply. I'm sure my plans will be useless once I begin walking.

I do a couple of week long hikes a year. I consider myself in good shape, my daily goals second and third days out is 10 miles with a max of 2000' elevation gain. By day 5 or 6 I can do 12 to 14 miles. For getting in shape I climb the capital stairs, 22 floors, 3 or 4 trips.

Images

Can I add this... For the successful thru hikers, How many days did it take you to hike from Springer to the NC state line? Thanks.
    Map Man has crunched all the numbers: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/cont...ion-by-Section
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Most people can do GA in 7 days. I would not worry about it and just walk.

If you are shuttling, get the shuttle at the beginning of the trip and walk back to your car. That way you do not have to worry about keeping schedule for a shuttle.

Where do you plan on getting off at? Deep Gap? Winding Stair?

The "average" completing NOBO thru-hiker takes eight days to get to the GA/NC border. More details are at the article SteelCut links to.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Journal Entries
    Images

78.5 miles to Bly Gap from Springer. 11 days is doable at 7 miles/day if everything goes as planned (it rarely does) and you take no zeros. Most hikers attempting a thru are putting in at least 10 miles/day through GA. I made it there in 9 days with an average of 8 miles/day and a zero or two.

I'm thinking of taking my first zero day in Franklin. Getting off at Winding stair. The guide book says a shuttle bus picks up at Winding Stairs 3 times daily.

Rush> I know all my plans will be useless once I hit the trail. You are very close to what I have planned, except not planning first zero until Franklin.

Images

I left on 1/1 and got to border on the 10th and I was slow. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=260073
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

... Also, I would resupply twice ( Neel Gap & Dick's Creek Gap) and visit one town of Hiawassee, Georgia.
    I'm confused. Is Dick's Creek Gap the road crossing to go into Hiawassee? So, the second resupply, Dick's Creek Gap & Hiawassee are all the same thing? More less.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I'm confused. Is Dick's Creek Gap the road crossing to go into Hiawassee? So, the second resupply, Dick's Creek Gap & Hiawassee are all the same thing? More less.

Wayne
    You can get to Hiawassee from either Dicks Creek gap or Unicoi gap. You can resupply either in town or at top of Georgia hostel at Dicks Creek gap.

OK. Going into Hiawassee is optional unless you want to shop at a real super market, do a load of clothes and maybe get a burger, fries & a $5.00 shake.
    Thanks.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Does this sound reasonable or is 11 days to the NC state line walking at a snail's pace?
    Personally I think the idea of walking at a snail's pace to be perfectly reasonable
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

sounds very reasonable. you doin' a thru-hike?

Yepper, this coming April.

Yepper, this coming April.
    don't let your walk become about the destination like most

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++