WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default (Un)common Issues

Did a quick search, so hopefully I didn't miss it if there is one. But I'm going to gather a list of common and uncommon issues that one can realistically prepare for, or simply avoid, in general.

I'm starting to think about my emergency kit at the moment so I'd like to know what I should be packing, or at least think about packing.

I'll start, and hopefully those of you with more (any) experience will chime in.

I'd like to compile a list like so:
    (Issue - how common or easy to encounter - causes - fixes)

1. Twisted Ankle - 6/10 (fairly common) - Causes: not watching where your going, going too fast, weak ankles, pack too heavy - Fixes: with ankle brace or ace bandage.

2. Dehydration - 4/10 - Causes: not planning water accordingly, more common in dry summers - Fixes: research water sources, ask passing hikers, carry an extra liter.

3. Bears - 2/10 - Causes: leaving food out at camp, improper hanging technique, previous hikers not packing out everything they brought, sometimes seen out near the trail during the day - Fixes: conceal all food at night and hang food bag properly (PCT method?), don't sleep with food, if encountered near trail, avoid and hike around.

Those were easy ones of course, not that they're 100% correct. Feel free to comment or alter according to your findings.

Some issues I'd be interested in hearing about from other, more knowledgeable, hikers are:

Rashes
    Blisters
    Ticks
    Bug Bites
    Shin Splints
    Giardia
    Ripped Pack/Bag/Tent
    Snakes
    Etc.

I understand there are some threads that may pertain to a single issue, but I'd like to see a one-stop-shop for these types of things so that I can reference them easier. Links that fit the bill are certainly welcome.

Feel free to contribute!

Items lost or forgotten

Images

You did mention bug bites, I found them to be severe, I used a product called after bite, itlooks like a marker an contains a base something like sodium hydroxide. I used it often, bee stings, spider bites, fly bites. I am a bit sensitive bites and they would swell up to fist size bumps. I say spider bites but I do not really know what bites you at night in the shelters, it got so bad I'm had to use a tent.

Ah, definitely need to make sure I keep my stuff together and create a routine so that I don't forget anything anywhere. I suppose marking things with basic info would be a great idea. Didn't think about that. Nice!

@1234 - Sounds like a handy thing to have, good to know. Something that's all-purpose to many various bugs would be ideal. I also read the thread about treating clothing and items in pertherin(sp?) as a preventative. Both I plan to do.

Garlic
    Images

The first four items in your secondary list are all skin issues. Your skin is your largest organ, and skin problems are what put a lot of people off the trail. Add sunburn, poison plants, boils, fungus, burns from cooking, frostbite. Your kit should concentrate on skin problems, and specifically the skin problems you have. I hardly ever get blisters, so my kit is very light on blister care, but I do get athlete's foot sometimes so I carry an antifungal.

If you're prone to digestive problems, carry stuff for that. If you're not, don't. Same with headaches and joint pain.

Preventive care is of course more important than first aid care.

Much major first aid can be supported with common pack items. A trekking pole and bandanna can be used to splint and bandage. Your sleeping bag and shelter can be used to treat hypothermia and shock. And of course there's duct tape.

Training, experience and good judgment are the best things we can carry, and are far more important than what's in a kit.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Getting lost and falling are things that will happen to you, sooner or later.

Images

Just wanted to address #2 9pun sort of intended as you'll see in a minute) on your list. There are many ways to get dehydrated. One of the most obvious is not enough water. But another that people tend to overlook is vomiting and/or diarrhea. If you get either of these, remember that your demand for water could double. Carrying some pepto tablets might be a solution (ask a doctor, which I am not), or taking a zero day until the 'issue' passes (again, pun intended, sort of). If you have nay of these conditions for more than a few days, you need to find a doctor or clinic ASAP. Could e a sign of a more serious condition. Also, don't forget that dehydration (as well as heat stroke, etc.) is not only a hot-weather issue. When warm-weather folks get out in the cold, they [sometimes] tend to over dress. Then, they lose a liter + just in sweat. Not to mention being at risk for a heat injury as they basically bundle themselves into a walking pressure cooker. And as far as NVD (nausea, vomiting and diarrhea), don't forget it could take a week to develop. So if you didn't feel like filtering or treating the water 2 days ago, and you're still ok, you may not be out of the woods just yet, so if you're heading for a place where water may be scarce, keep that in mind.

Safe hiking.

Alex

Oh! Before I forget, thank you Garlic08 for reminding me. I definitely wanted input on athletes foot and even jock itch. Not sure how common those issues are, along with preventative and preferred methods treatment out on the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Uh just get out there and hike... then get back to the group....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Uh just get out there and hike... then get back to the group....
    What? I'm afraid I don't follow.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodwin View Post
    What? I'm afraid I don't follow.
    After you see a 300 lb bear run from you like a little girl
    And hike/limp 20 miles to town with a sprained ankle
    And maybe walk 10 miles with no water
    Or a day with no food

Youll discover that most of you worries are just not founded. Your way over-analyzing things.

I carried a lot of gear to help others: ankle air-cast, air splint, shoulder immobilization sling, double-weight mountain rescue rope, rock climbing gear, portable sports oxygen, and etc. I never needed it. Not once.

One time, I was glad I had the smallest butterfly bandages (laceration on a young woman's face) and one time I was glad I had xeroform bandages (great for a motorcyclist's road rash).

Everything else: the knowledge I had.

I like that insect bite stuff; it was in the .7 Adventure Medical Kit. I still have the smallest butterfly bandages and the xeroform bandages. I added the O'Tom big and little tick remover. I carry a small non-leak container of 3% hydrogen peroxide.

I used to carry a Claritan and an Excedrine in those individual envelopes. Not any more. Never used it.

I might take 4 mg 24-hr generic antihistimine. Maybe not.

Nowadays, I just don't have more than a one ziploc bag 1st aid kit.

Images

One thing I have never seen mentioned - but unfortunately very common for those folks like me whose teeth are in expensive process of "going south" (i.e., old fillings decaying, losing crowns) - is "teeth emergencies." Two items I never travel without are Anbusol (gum-numbing gel) and Fixodent (glue to re-fix a crown).

Another thought, and I have also seen this on the trail, is eye infection. Boy these can be debilitating. If you have a tiny tube of eye antibiotics, maybe pop that in as well.

Jane

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
    One thing I have never seen mentioned - but unfortunately very common for those folks like me whose teeth are in expensive process of "going south" (i.e., old fillings decaying, losing crowns) - is "teeth emergencies." Two items I never travel without are Anbusol (gum-numbing gel) and Fixodent (glue to re-fix a crown

Jane
    Unfortunately, we are programmed to die. Teeth problems start occurring with age that are uncommon in young people.

An inflamed or dieing tooth nerve is...extremely painful. Same class as a kidney stone.
    Both are good reason to carry a few oxycodone or such type painkillers if have them, and a bunch of ibuprofen.

I have a small FAK that will help with cuts, burns, and sprains. It has:

small tube of neosporin
    12 - 200mg ibuprofen
    10 - butterfly closures
    6 - regular bandaids
    1 pr surgical gloves
    6 - alcohol prep pads
    3 ft - duct tape (wrapped around a tongue depressor)
    tweezers
    tape
    gauze pads

I keep all of this in a Plano 3440 waterproof box. Will add to this as needed.
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Youll discover that most of you worries are just not founded. Your way over-analyzing things.
    Totally agree with this. I was always worrying about something - water, or my blisters, or whether there would be a campsite for us. Our first long hike cured me of all of those things.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

1: Watch where you are going, no matter how tired you are!!! I hike with the thought always in my mind: "PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN FLAT! WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING!!" Sometimes I even add "Dumba**" If I'm being extra stupid / careless. IF you have the room, can afford the weight cost, sure, take a Ace or 2 with you. I suggest a Multi purpose wrap instead of a fitted (knee, ankle, etc) one so you can use it no matter what body part you mess up....
    2: Drink every chance you get! That's: DRINK EVERY CHANCE YOU GET!!! "cameling up" works for some, It did NOT work for me this year!! I spend day 3 in a motel with MAJOR leg pain from cramps I got on Day 1. What is "extra"? in some places you cross water every 1/2 miles, in a few places in Virginia, it's 10 miles between Water sources. I can usually get 4 miles with what I carry, or about 3 - 4 Ltrs. YMMV!
    3: Hang your food every time you camp!! Do not RUN from the bears. That is unless you can outrun,,,, your hiking partner! Camp with others (safety in numbers & all that, I do it in the hopes that the bear will eat someone else. LOL). Sorry, the first 2 of #3 are valid, the rest, well,,,,
    Blisters, yep, there is a good chance you will get them. Get a Hot spot (a somewhat painful spot on a body part) TREAT IT NOW! TREAT IT AT THE FIRST STEP YOU FEEL IT!! DO NOT WAIT! I like Duct tape over Moleskin, but I carry both.
    Bug Bites, get bug spray, use it, it does help.
    Rashes: Gold Bond for chaffing, hydrocortisone for the other stuff.
    Giardia: Treat all of your water,,,, or don't. I go both ways, with not treat being my method of choice, but it's your call. Seek medical help ASAP if you feel like everything is flying through you &/or you are in pain.
    Shin Splints: Hiking poles, & watch how you walk.
    Stuff WILL break, tear, wear out, etc. Duct tape, Super glue, sewing kit, etc. AND: Know how to use the stuff you carry!
    Snakes,,,, sorry, I don't see that as a problem. So: ?????

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodwin View Post
    Did a quick search, so hopefully I didn't miss it if there is one. But I'm going to gather a list of common and uncommon issues that one can realistically prepare for, or simply avoid, in general.

I'm starting to think about my emergency kit at the moment so I'd like to know what I should be packing, or at least think about packing.

I'll start, and hopefully those of you with more (any) experience will chime in.

I'd like to compile a list like so:
    (Issue - how common or easy to encounter - causes - fixes)

1. Twisted Ankle - 6/10 (fairly common) - Causes: not watching where your going, going too fast, weak ankles, pack too heavy - Fixes: with ankle brace or ace bandage.

2. Dehydration - 4/10 - Causes: not planning water accordingly, more common in dry summers - Fixes: research water sources, ask passing hikers, carry an extra liter.

3. Bears - 2/10 - Causes: leaving food out at camp, improper hanging technique, previous hikers not packing out everything they brought, sometimes seen out near the trail during the day - Fixes: conceal all food at night and hang food bag properly (PCT method?), don't sleep with food, if encountered near trail, avoid and hike around.

Those were easy ones of course, not that they're 100% correct. Feel free to comment or alter according to your findings.

Some issues I'd be interested in hearing about from other, more knowledgeable, hikers are:

Rashes
    Blisters
    Ticks
    Bug Bites
    Shin Splints
    Giardia
    Ripped Pack/Bag/Tent
    Snakes
    Etc.

I understand there are some threads that may pertain to a single issue, but I'd like to see a one-stop-shop for these types of things so that I can reference them easier. Links that fit the bill are certainly welcome.

Feel free to contribute!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Top ten uncommon issues that I don't worry about.
    1) Cannibals other than really hunger hikers.
    2) meteor strikes
    3) Magnetic Polarity shifts.
    4) Being knock out by huge pine cones. (Well, I did worry about that once.)
    5) Evil trail builders that make a circular trail.
    6) Falling into a sink hole.
    7) Tidal waves.
    8) Waking up and finding my shoes stolen.
    9) Finding a shelter full. I don't stay in shelters.
    10) Waking up and deciding I no longer want to walk.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

"3. Bears - 2/10 - Causes: leaving food out at camp, improper hanging technique, previous hikers not packing out everything they brought, sometimes seen out near the trail during the day - Fixes: conceal all food at night and hang food bag properly (PCT method?), don't sleep with food, if encountered near trail, avoid and hike around."

The issues you list aren't real issues or even correct solutions. Hanging your food bag is debatable and likely to fail. I'll argue that sleeping with the food is a much more effective technique but that's just a personal issue that you'll have to learn. I suggest that you focus more about how to learn from the hike and how to resolve issues that to think you can compile a list of solvable issues as you'll soon find one that you haven't listed. So HYOH, and enjoy.

Journal Entries

Do worry about mice when sleep in shelters
    Spend enough nights in them, and sooner or later, the little bastards will nibble on your favorite gear.
    Even tenting near them in late spring after weeks of high use can be hazardous. They get conditioned, seriously.

Ticks are legitimate too from va north. Permethrin and frequent checks.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-08-2016 at 04:07.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++