WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question Silver lining...

Silly question here.
    A while back I saw some show (probably Discovery channel or something) that had "strange fact" on it.
    One was about British commando undies that lasted a year without having to be washed.

I looked them up online and found that there really was such a thing.
    They were issued in a 4-pack, and were silver-impregnated.
    The silver acted as an anti-microbial negating the need to launder them for quite some time.

I was wondering if anyone has any 'experience' with anything like this.

Tanx.

Alex

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea - I dont own any - but its an internet thing... Silver is used in water purifiers. It prevents bacteria and algae from building up in filters. The catalytic action of silver, in concert with oxygen, sanitizes water and eliminates the need for chlorine. Silver ions are also added to water purification systems in hospitals, community water systems, pools and spas, displacing chlorine.

The medical uses of silver include its incorporation into wound dressings, and its use as an antibiotic coating in medical devices. Wound dressings containing silver sulfadiazine or silver nanomaterials may be used to treat external infections. Silver is also used in some medical applications, such as urinary catheters and endotracheal breathing tubes, where there is tentative evidence that it is effective in reducing catheter-related urinary tract infections and ventilator-associated pneumonia respectively.[44][45] The silver ion (Ag
    +
    ) is bioactive and in sufficient concentration readily kills bacteria in vitro. Silver and silver nanoparticles are used as an antimicrobial in a variety of industrial, healthcare and domestic applications.[46]
    So feel free to do your own tests...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

WOO, I know I've used sivadine on burn patients, and silver catheters on long term catheter patients, but I never really heard anything about it in the "undergarment" application. I saw some on Ebay, but it's not something I think I would try myself. I have a bit of the 'thunder-thigh' issue, and I found (in my days of humping a ruck) that boxer-length spandex is a miracle for me. No chaffing, and light as can be. Besides, I am a section-type, so 2 weeks out at most. I was wondering if there were any folks from 'across the pond' who might have some insight.

We use socks designed for diabetics that have silver threads woven in.
    I can wear these for many weeks without serious odor problems.

Images

I never even thought about other garments.
    True enough, socks would work as well.
    Interesting stuff.

Images

I used to work for a company that makes laundry additives and the R&D folks gave me a silver based wash to test prior to my PCT thru hike. I smelled like a hiker from day 2 so I am not convinced that this can keep hiker stench away.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've worn some silver-impregnated t-shirts, and it definitely helped reduce the funk level. I'm not sure anything could handle a 2-week hiker crotch, but every little bit helps. It might make a few days more tolerable.

"I smelled like a hiker from day 2"
    On a positive note, you did not smell like a hiker for a full day.

I had silver threads or silver ions in bicycle socks once.

I don't especially have much foot odor, nevertheless those socks did seem to stay free of odor.

At the time, I thought, maybe the material in the threads used to make the socks made the difference?

I purchased a nice bicycling jersey, once, with silver threads or silver ion treatment. It never took on an odor.

Those are the only products I have tried.

Maybe it was silver nanoparticles: Pearl Izumi bicycle socks and Campagnolo bicycle jersey.

I like bicycle jerseys for backpacking: I like the long zipper-front and the long shirt tail worn outside pants, so no gap, and the fabric. Now, we have more shirts made like that for hiking.

I had a lab coat, once, that had good "soil release" and perhaps "stain release".

Seriously, I purchased it from a supplier in Seattle. my step-brother got his mechanics overalls there. I think the name was Overall Linen Supply. Maybe not. It was a lab coat. It kept up to the reputation.

I wish I could purchase "undies" that would take as many washings and do as well.

I only found longjohns, at eBay.

I did find bamboo (fiber) underwear. Maybe..
    Last edited by Connie; 07-10-2016 at 08:39.

www.wrightsock.com Wrightsocks offers a Silver thread sock called the Silver Stride.
    Double layer, blister free, and silver.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

++ New Posts ++