WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water in northern half of PA and NJ?

Thinking of heading to these areas in a couple of weeks and am wondering how the water is flowing. Anyone been there lately?

Images

When I was up there last week the first 2 springs closest to the Leroy Smith shelter were dry but walk further down to spring #3 and it's flowing.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

From 2 weeks ago about 0.1M NoBo (downhill) of George W. Outerbridge Shelter (Lehigh Gorge, PA: 40.782489972, -75.618317351)...

WP_20160626_14_41_16_Pro.jpgWP_20160626_15_05_13_Pro.jpg

Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images

NJ has been in a drought for a few weeks. I was up near Vernon today and Pochuck and Waywanda Creeks are flowing, but pretty much as braided streams due to low water levels. I spoke to some thrus today and the water is OK at the bigger streams, but the smaller ones were dry (at least from DWG to Vernon). You'll be able to get reliable (tap) water at High Point where the trail crosses Route 23 at the park office and near the Waywayanda shelter, where the water supply is a tap on the outside of the park office near the bathroom door.

Two hikers I spoke to today wound up going to get medical attention yesterday due to heat/dehydration issues. They spent last night a a motel not too far from the trail and wanted to take another zero there, but the place was booked. They found a place about 20 miles north. (I offered to drive them, but another lowly day hiker had already offered a ride, so they were set). The hiker trying to make reservations told me the heat wave with high humidity over the last couple of days and the strong storms forecast for just about now made for a lot of unplanned zeros amdmpo motel availability. Good news is that the heat and humidity will be gone with the passing storm front. Not sure if a few thunderstorms will help the water situation, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    NJ has been in a drought for a few weeks. I was up near Vernon today and Pochuck and Waywanda Creeks are flowing, but pretty much as braided streams due to low water levels. I spoke to some thrus today and the water is OK at the bigger streams, but the smaller ones were dry (at least from DWG to Vernon). You'll be able to get reliable (tap) water at High Point where the trail crosses Route 23 at the park office and near the Waywayanda shelter, where the water supply is a tap on the outside of the park office near the bathroom door.

Two hikers I spoke to today wound up going to get medical attention yesterday due to heat/dehydration issues. They spent last night a a motel not too far from the trail and wanted to take another zero there, but the place was booked. They found a place about 20 miles north. (I offered to drive them, but another lowly day hiker had already offered a ride, so they were set). The hiker trying to make reservations told me the heat wave with high humidity over the last couple of days and the strong storms forecast for just about now made for a lot of unplanned zeros amdmpo motel availability. Good news is that the heat and humidity will be gone with the passing storm front. Not sure if a few thunderstorms will help the water situation, though.
    "...and no motel..."

++ New Posts ++