WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I fly out September 18th head to Leadville start hiking the 19th and plan on finishing midday the 10th day pick up the rental car by 4 in Leadville and drive back to Elbert trailhead, then hike that evening up the tree line camp. Next morning summit then return to car. If time permits I'll stop back by the Leadville hostel or campground for shower then drive to Denver. Plan to be driving to Denver by 12:30 for 6pm flight Thursday evening flight.......what are your thoughts on leaving some gear at tree line campsite while I summitt? I.e. Tent, quilt sleepwear etc??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cool, all sounds good.

I leave gear (but never food) in a tent all the time on climbs, never personally had any problems.

Occasionally one hears of a marmot (or Pika) chewing through a tent to get at stuff inside the tent; they really like chewing up stuff with body salts on them. In very heavily used areas where there tend to be tons of marmots, I occasionally empty the tent, put sleeping bag, mattress and other "chewables" in a sack and hang it from a nearby tree branch. I also leave the tent door open and tied back so the critters can get in and see there's nothing of interest (vs. chewing through to find out!). I would definitely not leave any food in the tent, of course. Since you're not spending a 2nd night, why not just pack up and hang all your overnight gear and extra food.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    cool, all sounds good.

I leave gear (but never food) in a tent all the time on climbs, never personally had any problems.

Occasionally one hears of a marmot (or Pika) chewing through a tent to get at stuff inside the tent; they really like chewing up stuff with body salts on them. In very heavily used areas where there tend to be tons of marmots, I occasionally empty the tent, put sleeping bag, mattress and other "chewables" in a sack and hang it from a nearby tree branch. I also leave the tent door open and tied back so the critters can get in and see there's nothing of interest (vs. chewing through to find out!). I would definitely not leave any food in the tent, of course. Since you're not spending a 2nd night, why not just pack up and hang all your overnight gear and extra food.
    Yep that's what I'm thinking...my tent is supported by my poles which I'll be using so I'll hang it with everything else not need for the summit. I will not be leaving any food behind. I'm more worried about the 2 legged critters.....damn marmots are curious!!

Images

I would not worry about the 2-legged critters. In nearly 50 years of backpacking, 37 of which were in Colorado, I've never ever had anything stolen from a tent/campsite (or even trailhead, for that matter).

I have had numerous critter-encounters, chewed pole handles, chewed insulated cup, chewed packs, etc.

I once had a backpack shoulder strap chewed clean through; that particular hike was 8 miles in carrying a TON of technical gear (ropes, pro, etc), probably 50-55 pound pack. carrying it out with essentially one strap was, er, challenging.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Don't doubt the capabilities of a 2WD RENTAL CAR!!!. Thx for all the great info!!!

It will get you a little further up the path, but theres no way a 2wd rental will make it the whole way. We speak from experience
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I went right up from the highway to the south. No trail necessary. Didn't take long, just a steep hike. Bring xtra O2.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    It will get you a little further up the path, but theres no way a 2wd rental will make it the whole way. We speak from experience
    I'm hoping to get small suv for return rental...can't imagine rental suv in Co would be 2 wheel drive.....worst case I'll push a few more miles...no big deal...ill see how much juice is left after the loop....

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    And yes I'll get the full coverage!!!! Last summer I lost the front fender and bumper on a rental in Costa Rica after I hit a BIG pothole and a rickety bridge....thank god for duct tape and zip ties!!!!! Full coverage is with the $$$$$$!!!!

Good plan! Hike up to treeline, camp, summit and descend, easy to make before noon using this scheme.

Excellent campsites along the east ridge route. None that I can think of along the NE ridge (what you call the northern route, I think), but there have to be some.

I can provide you an exact camp spot position and elevation on the East ridge; we use this every winter for our annual CO mountain club Elbert climb (25+ years running, I've led it for about 12 years now). Please consider doing the east ridge vs. the NE ridge, it's a much nicer route.

Rob
    What is the elevation for this recommended camp site near tree line off east ridge route. I will not be carrying gps only map and smartphone app so don't need gps coordinates.
    Thx!!!

it is estimated that Mt. Elbert. Is 1.7 billion years old. It will be there for a few more years. (You don't have to do it now) I think it is iffy to try to summit a 14'r in the morning and fly out of Denver the same afternoon. You better bring your credit card, because you might need it.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 09-02-2016 at 23:51.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    it is estimated that Mt. Elbert. Is 1.7 billion years old. It will be there for a few more years. (You don't have to do it now) I think it is iffy to try to summit a 14'r in the morning and fly out of Denver the same afternoon. You better bring your credit card, because you might need it.
    I hear ya.....ill play it by ear. Only way I'll attempt is if I finish the loop by noon giving me plenty of time to get rental in Leadville and get back to Elbert trail for 2-3 hours of hiking time to get to tree line. Obviously only if weather forecast is very favorable....probably is a long shot but why not.....thx for the great info.

Images

Rob
    What is the elevation for this recommended camp site near tree line off east ridge route. I will not be carrying gps only map and smartphone app so don't need gps coordinates.
    Thx!!!

About 11,700. 2.5 hours up to summit from camp, 2 back to camp, call it 5 total, then 2.5 back to car, so 7.5 grand total camp to car via summit.

About 11,700. 2.5 hours up to summit from camp, 2 back to camp, call it 5 total, then 2.5 back to car, so 7.5 grand total camp to car via summit.
    Perfect thx

Agree with Bearcreek. That's a long day with important times to be in important places for important reasons with little time leftover for any unforeseen events.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Agree with Bearcreek. That's a long day with important times to be in important places for important reasons with little time leftover for any unforeseen events.
    Also a possibility of finishing loop in 9 days hike on late day 9 and camp near south Elbert trail summit day 10. Get rental car by 4 in Leadville day 10....not sure about getting to Leadville from south Elbert trail/CT....ill keep my options open....if it happens it happens....

I don't have the CT guide with me only the Guthhook loop app so can't see mileage past twin lakes can anyone tell me how much further it is to s Elbert trail off CT?

"..it is estimated that Mt. Elbert. Is 1.7 billion years old. It will be there for a few more years"

Sorry, but that is a gross misstatement of the geology of the area. The age of the rock is different from the age of the landscape, which dates largely from the Pleistocene.

I regret that we live in the age of easy information access, but so little understanding...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++