Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
I fly out September 18th head to Leadville start hiking the 19th and plan on finishing midday the 10th day pick up the rental car by 4 in Leadville and drive back to Elbert trailhead, then hike that evening up the tree line camp. Next morning summit then return to car. If time permits I'll stop back by the Leadville hostel or campground for shower then drive to Denver. Plan to be driving to Denver by 12:30 for 6pm flight Thursday evening flight.......what are your thoughts on leaving some gear at tree line campsite while I summitt? I.e. Tent, quilt sleepwear etc??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cool, all sounds good.

I leave gear (but never food) in a tent all the time on climbs, never personally had any problems.

Occasionally one hears of a marmot (or Pika) chewing through a tent to get at stuff inside the tent; they really like chewing up stuff with body salts on them. In very heavily used areas where there tend to be tons of marmots, I occasionally empty the tent, put sleeping bag, mattress and other "chewables" in a sack and hang it from a nearby tree branch. I also leave the tent door open and tied back so the critters can get in and see there's nothing of interest (vs. chewing through to find out!). I would definitely not leave any food in the tent, of course. Since you're not spending a 2nd night, why not just pack up and hang all your overnight gear and extra food.