WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default BA Fly Creek Tents and Dogs? Does the tent hold up?

I've got a BA Fly Creek tent that I love, and that I'd like to keep in one piece. Getting ready to plan a trip for me and my pup (week or so out), and I was wondering if anyone had experience using the BA Fly Creek tents with their dogs. Online reviews are pretty mixed about whether or not they hold up to a dog's nails. My guy doesn't move around too much once he's comfortable (minimal pacing, doesn't usually try to charge at the door, etc), if anything, it's just to get closer to me and to re-position.

Any insight would be much appreciated as I don't want an expensive tent torn up, but buying a new one also seems a little excessive.. Thanks!

Images

I don't have a dog but I have a fly creek...

the stuff sack is the same material as the tent---and I have ripped a few stuff sacks pretty easily.....

personally if I valued my tent---I wouldn't trust a dog around it...

i think the floor would get ripped pretty easily...

Not sure how big the dog is but my 20 jack Russell has spent plenty a night in my light weight LHG Solong 6 with no issues. I run him on the asphalt year round so his nails stay filed down. We usually hike longer days so by the time the tent is up he's looking for his bed. I use a neoair xlite and he gets my cut down zlite for a bed. I keep my quilt or bag over my pad because it's a lot more fragile than the tent floor. His pad goes just inside the door covered by a down bag I made from a cheap light weight Costco down vest which keeps him mostly contained when zipped up. I wouldn't sweat it..if your that concerned put a sheet of tyvek on the inside over the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

That's a good lookin' pup! My guy is a 40lb blue heeler. I'm hoping he'll do the same and just tuck away for the night. Didn't have any issues with my old tent (an REI Half Dome) and my other dog, but it was a more robust fabric, so just trying to put feelers out on the durability of the Fly Creek models.

Thanks for the input! Much appreciated!

Images

It will all depend on your dog and how your dog behaves in a tent. If your dog feels the need to paw at the mesh, or dig on the floor...then you might have problems. Then again not many tents will hold up to that. If you are worried about the floor you can always carry a piece of Tyvek to put down inside the tent. That should eliminate any concerns regarding the floor.

With that, I have had my BA Fly Creek UL2 for 4 years now and it has held its own against my 2 lab-golden retriever mix pooches. It's time for me to replace my tent, but not due to any dog-related issues. I keep their nails short and smooth. I also started out training my pups there was no roughhousing in/near the tent. They know that tent time means bedtime. They treat it like it is a big dog crate.

Thanks! He gets restless and starts to paw around a bit (though mostly at me) when it's time to get up. I think he'll be just fine based on feedback I've gotten here

I have a fly creek ul2 platinum, well...A un used one. BUT I have had one that I used in the past, and I don't think I would let my lab inside of it(DUE TO LACK OF DURABLE MATERIALS). I have let him inside of the TT StratoSpire 2 (FLOOR IS MORE DURABLE), but on top of his zrest. My first pick for my dog is for him to stay in the vestibule. He doesn't mind, he lays on his foam pad and sleeps just the same.

Have a dog exert explosive diarrhea in your tent during a thunderstorm and it'll be about the last time he sleeps in the nest.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 07-12-2016 at 14:22. Reason: IN CAPS
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thanks... That's what I'm concerned about. Thankfully he doesn't move around much. I'd love to hear from someone who's had a dog in their's too!

I find he's actually worse in the vestibule (ideally that's where I'd have him). I think he hears too much going on and thinks he can get after something if he's out of the tent. Surprisingly in our 2 person REI tent, he settles right out as long as he's inside with us. Really wondering more about the toughness of the fabric than overall dog behavior.

Hadn't considered the diarrhea factor though- hopefully that wasn't posted from experience, yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I have a fly creek ul2 platinum, well...A un used one. BUT I have had one that I used in the past, and I don't think I would let my lab inside of it. I have let him inside of the TT StratoSpire 2, but on top of his zrest. My first pick for my dog is for him to stay in the vestibule. He doesn't mind, he lays on his foam pad and sleeps just the same.

Have a dog exert explosive diarrhea in your tent during a thunderstorm and it'll be about the last time he sleeps in the nest.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
    Thanks... That's what I'm concerned about. Thankfully he doesn't move around much. I'd love to hear from someone who's had a dog in their's too!
    My post yesterday included feedback regarding often having my 2 dogs in my BA Fly Creek UL2. Though, that comment might not have been directed at me...I thought I would say something in case you had skimmed over that part of my post.

No problems due to dog-related issues. I also included info as to how to a potential (inexpensive) solution if you are worried about the floor of the tent vs. toenails.

BA tents are pretty delicate. I've had two. I feel like I kinda traded durability (not quality, they are good quality) for an ultra lightweight tent. I'm now using an MSR.
    Last edited by Gonecampn; 07-12-2016 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    My post yesterday included feedback regarding often having my 2 dogs in my BA Fly Creek UL2. Though, that comment might not have been directed at me...I thought I would say something in case you had skimmed over that part of my post.

No problems due to dog-related issues. I also included info as to how to a potential (inexpensive) solution if you are worried about the floor of the tent vs. toenails.
    I did actually read that, but it must've fallen out of my head when I responded to the other poster.
    Yes, that's great to hear! And I think a 40lb blue heeler is probably less wear and tear (at least as far as numbers of paws and claws and weight go) than 2 lab/retriever mixes.

Thanks for the follow-up!

One thing to consider is to never let your dog inside your tent. Have him sleep nearby or in the tent vestibule.

I went on hundreds of trip with my old dog named Shunka and only once did he come inside my tent and I have a picture of the event:

The only reason this happened was because I was camped in a high gap at 5,000 feet and it was -10F and the trees were popping from the cold like gunshots and it freaked him out. He hated being in my tent more than the gunshots so right after this pic was taken he bailed.

Some dogs are always in Patrol Mode and need to be alert and watching everything in camp. Such was old Shunka. No in-tent lounging for him.

A pic of the tent the morning after a very cold night.

Yeah, I tried training him to sleep in the vestibule of our 2P tent, but he just wasn't having it. That's when his patrol mode kicks in. As soon as he's in the tent with us, he settles in and sleeps peacefully unless there's a person or something walking very close to the tent.

That's a handsome dog there... Sounds like you had some good adventures together

Images

I use a cheap lightweight blanket on the floor plus a pad for my 100lb Lab, The first year camping with him it was a PITA but now he sleeps inside without any issues.

Only way to know is to try it out...get him good and tired also use the tyvek...don't see any issues...diarrhea on the other hand......time for a new tent...I say that is truly a shi$&@ tent!!!

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    I use a cheap lightweight blanket on the floor plus a pad for my 100lb Lab, The first year camping with him it was a PITA but now he sleeps inside without any issues.

He will definitely have his own bed. Right now in our 2P (which we basically use for car camping trips) he sleeps on a pile of clothes/gear and seems content. He's got a more "formal" bed for when he goes backpacking with just me. Gonna try to keep him next to my head/the opening of the tent , so hopefully he won't be moving around too much. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Only way to know is to try it out...get him good and tired also use the tyvek...don't see any issues...diarrhea on the other hand......time for a new tent...I say that is truly a shi$&@ tent!!!

Agreed. I think I've gotten a good feel for other people's experiences. Generally I feel pretty ok using a fly creek with him in it, but wanted to make sure it wasn't a consistent problem of the floor getting torn up with a cooperative and quiet dog. Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

Uh OK I am stumped - how about trimming the nails prior to the hike?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++