WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need 1 person tent, that also fits dog

Hi, I am looking to buy my first tent for backpacking. I'm 6ft tall, and I currently have a 60lb shepherd lab mix dog that I want to go backpacking with. I scoped out a few tents already and searched threads, but a lot of threads I found were older. I am looking for some recommendations for tents. Here's some I'm considering right now.

SMD Lunar Solo (I heard it's too short for tall people)
    Lightheart Solong 6
    Tarptent Stratospire1
    Tarpment Double Rainbow
    Tarptent Moment DW

Right now I am learning towards the Solong 6, but I still want to explore possible options. Weight is a concern, I would prefer something lighter. I also have no trekking poles, so I would be buying any aluminum poles required to set it up. Thoughts? I would also be getting a ground cloth if they provide it, and a seam sealing service. Any recommendations would be great, thanks!

I don't know about the tall person thing but the SMD Lunar Solo fit me plus two 40lb dogs and my gear. I don't remember how the length was.

I have heard good things about the LHG SoLong for one person and a dog.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I have the TT Double Rainbow for myself and my 55lb pointer and it fits the bill well and is more than enough space, I'm 5'11' and there is more than enough room for someone who is 6'.
    I have heard very good things about the SoLong 6 as well, but I don't personally know anyone who uses it with a dog, so I can't give too much feedback.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I have owned or slept in every tent you listed in your opening post. Of the tents you listed, only the Double Rainbow would work. For you and a 60lb dog, the only shelter I could recommend with full confidence is the Zpacks Duplex.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I have owned or slept in every tent you listed in your opening post. Of the tents you listed, only the Double Rainbow would work. For you and a 60lb dog, the only shelter I could recommend with full confidence is the Zpacks Duplex.
    I love my Duplex and it fits me and two dogs pretty well, plus all my gear. I don't let them inside much because of the CF and the cost. If you do go that route I would recommend picking up a cheap and light Thermarest pad that covers the floor area you aren't sleeping on so that claws don't mess with the integrity of the CF floor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I love my Duplex and it fits me and two dogs pretty well, plus all my gear. I don't let them inside much because of the CF and the cost. If you do go that route I would recommend picking up a cheap and light Thermarest pad that covers the floor area you aren't sleeping on so that claws don't mess with the integrity of the CF floor.
    I have always wondered how the typical tent floor holds up to a dogs claws. It is doubtful I'll ever get to take our two monsters out on the AT, they are Jack Russels and live up to the breeds reputation for being high energy and loud barkers. I wouldn't subject other hikers to these guys, but maybe a few secluded overnights along the FT would be doable.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

The TT Moment can work for a medium size dog if you shift the inner to one side (the floor slides to the position you want) but it would be too tight for a largish dog (I think...)
    The SS1 has two very large vestibules (I can sit inside either) and you can also widen the floor to take a second 20" mat so that should be more than enough for a dog.
    You should be able to see that in this photo of mine :
    SS1-two-mats_zps60852481.jpg
    The Double Rainbow takes 2x25"x77" mats, no need for a photo with that one.
    franco@tarptent

I use the Solong6 with my jack russell often. There's plenty of room for me, my 60 lb son,and 20 lb Jack. I use a large xlite, my son and dog use cut down zlite ccf pads.....very versatile shelter @ around 2lbs....vestibule/awning are huge....I've had mine several years now worked great out west but mainly used on southern AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I have always wondered how the typical tent floor holds up to a dogs claws. It is doubtful I'll ever get to take our two monsters out on the AT, they are Jack Russels and live up to the breeds reputation for being high energy and loud barkers. I wouldn't subject other hikers to these guys, but maybe a few secluded overnights along the FT would be doable.
    My crazy jack has been my hiking buddy since he was about 6 months old..now 4....he's flying out to Co to do the collegiate loop and Elbert with me next month......

how tall are you?

I don't know about the tall person thing but the SMD Lunar Solo fit me plus two 40lb dogs and my gear. I don't remember how the length was.

I have heard good things about the LHG SoLong for one person and a dog.
    how tall are you? I heard people say the Lunar Solo can be short for taller people since the sides are angled.

Quote Originally Posted by r0wdy View Post
    how tall are you? I heard people say the Lunar Solo can be short for taller people since the sides are angled.
    The length is fine, but when you sit up you'll rub your head against the wall. Not a problem unless there is condensation, which of course is often the case. The foot of my bag would often touch the wall because of the acute angle and sag when the fabric gets wet. There is a tie out to lift/pull out the sides a little, but there is often nothing to tie it off too.

There might be enough room for both you and the dog, but little else and the dog will end up on top of you. You really want a two person tent if you want any elbow room.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Short...5'5"

Short...5'5"
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The length is fine, but when you sit up you'll rub your head against the wall. Not a problem unless there is condensation, which of course is often the case. The foot of my bag would often touch the wall because of the acute angle and sag when the fabric gets wet. There is a tie out to lift/pull out the sides a little, but there is often nothing to tie it off too.

There might be enough room for both you and the dog, but little else and the dog will end up on top of you. You really want a two person tent if you want any elbow room.
    I think I'll avoid the lunar solo then. It looks great and I like it a lot but I don't think it will work for my height. Solong 6 looks pretty good right now

how tall are you?
    I'm 5'11" @ 210...

+1 Duplex

My 65lb dog in the Duplex, and still plenty of space for gear and moving around.Cyrus in the tent.jpg

For what it's worth... I've been humpin the AT for the past 10 years have used two tents... a coleman exponent and a Golite ( out of business) Emogene two person. I wouldn't want to sleep with a dog in neither and they are probably the same if not larger that those listed above. Now... I say all this because there is another option....there is a company MY TRAIL COMPANY that is run by some(?) of the people from Golite... they offer similar (really the same) equipment that Golite had. That being said.... check out their 3 Person teepee tent... I just bought their Pyramid 4 which is really big for backpacking but when broken down and divided by two people.... we have a hotel room. After many years I don't know why more hikers are not using Teepee style tents... the room, especially the head room is just wonderful. Happy Trails.... grunt

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    +1 Duplex

My 65lb dog in the Duplex, and still plenty of space for gear and moving around.Cyrus in the tent.jpg
    Duplex looks great but it's a but pricey, I think it's out of my budget unfortunately

My daughter and I also use the Solong 6 as a two person tent.
    I am 5'-11"/220, she is 4'-4"/55 lbs.
    I use a large pad, she uses a woman's specific pad.
    Tight width wise but the extra length allows us to bring packs inside with us.

Duplex looks great but it's a but pricey, I think it's out of my budget unfortunately
    True, they're not cheap... I winced when I bought mine and spent the next 8 weeks wondering if I did the right thing, lol.

Fortunately, after a fair amount of use, zero regrets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++