WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: 2017 Nobo folks

Default 2017 Nobo folks

I'm getting things all sorted out slowly and I don't think others enjoy my enthusiasm with all that goes into the planning. I'm looking for someone who is also in the same sort of situation to communicate with (email, text, phone). I'm driving everyone else nuts about it because I am nuts about it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ha. My dad gives me 60 days and I'll quit. It's all the more reason to finish. I just completed 134.6 miles. Neels Gap to Fontana Dam. It was my second shake down hike for my 2017 thru hike. I'm by no means an expert. I just know what works for me now. My main concern is BPW, and it's down to about 14 lbs. would still like it lower and I think I can do it. If you need any advise from me just ask away. I'll do my best to try and help.

Journal Entries
    Images

Planning is ok. Not a big deal. Logistics are what you need. Don't ever plan on saying. "I'll be at a certain point at a certain time". It will take the fun out of it. Most people think it's all sunshine and butterflies. I can tell you this- my June shake down hike I was never dry. 11.5 days and the only time I was dry was at night after I changed into my camp clothes. The daily temps were high 70s to mid 80s but the humidity was 100% plus.

When i said planning I didn't mean for it to come off as I need help. Far from that. Just looking for people to bs about stuff. I have everything but some of it could use updating. My plans go as far as to sometime in mid March start and go as I go.

Pay your bills, pack your bag, and start hiking.

Planning for the AT is quite simple

Images

You're in good company. I am in the midst of planning as well. The hardest part for me is working out logistics and things that tie you down to life back home. I have to worry about bills, taxes, car payment, insurance, and heaven forbid actually saving the 5k+ I will probably need all before I can leave for the trail. Some people have everything fall into place... others have to push through and flip their life upside down just to get to the first step. In my opinion that makes things even more worthwhile in the end.

Right there in the boat with you, family and friends are already sick of my planning and I've only been at it a couple months! Here's the Spring 2017

Images

I was discussing the logistics of preparing with a friend who also dreams of hiking the trail one day. When I mentioned things like prepaying the electric bill and how to deal with the need for car insurance (in Florida they suspend your lisence if you are uninsured), he admitted he hadn't ever thought of any of those issues. If you don't have someone to watch the house for you, there are many things to think about besides getting to the trail and starting to hike.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I've been a weekend backpacker for the past 3 or 4 years and I've really become obsessed recently with the idea of thru hiking 2017. I've hardly planned anything, I've just been consuming every piece of information about the trail that I can get my hands on. I'm single and I have the money saved so it's hard to find a reason to not go.

At the risk of speaking to soon...I count myself among you. Thinking of a mid March start date

I'M excited also...maybe a little obsessive. I'm planning to start March 17 and can't wait. I can be reached [email protected]'s chat...lol

I am planning on hitting the falls the 3rd to check out the kickoff event at the falls and then begin the trail. I am from Chicago and have the same issue with nobody to plan with. Cheers!

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm stuck waiting on my EE quilt. I hate waiting! I am planning 2018 and waiting a whole year is gonna suck. But I amgoing to Colorado next summer for a few shakedown hikes.

Is it lame i got all excited to see another Chicago?

Images

2017 will be my second through hike of the AT. I did a sobo in 2014. Of you need Antoine to geek out with gear, planning, details, advice, etc feel free to contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Pay your bills, pack your bag, and start hiking.

Planning for the AT is quite simple
    Ok with this but need to add fly to Atlanta from Australia, buy some food and get to the start. The rest is off the cuff.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Shoot there's a kickoff event?

i didn't know that, details?

I'm very excited about the possibility as well, but my problem is that I'm still employed full-time and could never manage it until I can retire. There's some small possibility that I will be retired by March of 2017, in which case I'll start on a NOBO thru-hike in April. In the meantime, I can only tentatively plan and the odds are actually rather slim that I'll make it (maybe 10-20% tops), so it's a bit frustrating. I am fortunate that I'll have a "support staff" at home that will probably help a lot, and that finances shouldn't be a huge issue for me when and if I can actually start a hike.

I am always up for talking about hiking the AT. I am planning to start 3/3. My wife is about over the discussion and it's still 6 months out. Shoot me an email! [email protected]

Just starting to plan a thru hike. I will be NOBO early March . Working on getting some weight off myself and my pack. I will be planning mail drops along the way. Let me know if I can help .

++ New Posts ++