WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail Condition Between Hampton, TN, and Damascus

Jim at Boots of Hostel told me via telephone of the big storm last week that resulted in many trees down, especially between Hampton, Tenn. and Tenn. Highway 91. He said there are hundreds down but that volunteers are at work. He doesn't know how much progress can be made.

Me and my two 20-something boys are doing that stretch late this week. Any up-to-date info on trail conditions and water are most welcome. I've already gotten some information from a related post, but this is more specific. Bear with me if I've asking questions that have recently been asked and answered. I didn't see any related posts.

I was in the storm at Hampton. Expect a lot of blowdowns; trail maintenance crews will have quite a bit of work to deal with, I'd imagine.

Water was low last weekend and I don't know that it would change that much in a week; it's still the middle of summer. Then again, my section ended at Hampton.

I only carry 2 liters but would probably have preferred a third on my section. I don't always fill up my second liter. YMMV on your section, but I do remember the 20 miles south of Damascus not having great water even several months ago (as in there weren't many water sources and one of them trashy and low-flowing).

Some damage. Redhead for scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

That's the last stretch I need to finish my big section. I suppose it will make it interesting at the very least. Maybe some good folks are noting the location of the blowdowns. If not, I will when I get back out there. I walked through the crazy blowdowns after the Halloween storm in/near the Smokies back in Nov 2014. Talk about an obstacle course, but at least it broke up the monotony. Until I almost broke my leg that is. Tread lightly.

I had to navigate a blowdown on trail 20 miles S of Hampton last week. Stay safe.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post

I had to navigate a blowdown on trail 20 miles S of Hampton last week. Stay safe.
    I think you're talking about this one:

Which was enough of a pain for me to take a picture of it Friday morning headed NOBO to Hampton, but by the time I got back there on Sunday (I did 19E to Dennis cove Friday, then broke the SOBO trip up over the next 2 days) it seemed easier. Better placement than some of the tree tops that are super difficult to get through, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Contact Kincora/Black Bear. From what I heard from the news and Mtn Squid who is around the area, it was strong straight line winds. With Pond Mtn and Iron Mtn being in wilderness areas, it may be heavy job to clear.

http://wjhl.com/2016/07/11/watauga-l...orm-on-camera/

http://www.wcyb.com/weather/stormtra...night/40437084
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Same thing happened to me 2 years ago in that section. Strong winds on top of the ridge knocked over many trees. At one point I had to scurry under a tree that had broken in half and the top half was swinging about 5 feet above the trail. Scary stuff. Stopped at Abington Gap Shelter for the night, then had a short, easy day into Damascus so went slow and spent a lot of time clearing branches from the trail on the way down.
    It's all good in the woods.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ah, I was in a different storm. This was right before midnight on July 4th, near Mountaineer shelter. The winds were pretty fierce, then it just absolutely DUMPED on us. The downed tree was maybe 100 yards from where I camped.

I left Mountain Harbour & headed back east Friday- looks like it was right on time, or I would have been out there as well. Geez, RIP to the two campers who lost their lives.

Me and my boys hiked northbound from Dennis Cove Road to Damascus from Thursday through Sunday. This included the stretch with the epidemic downfalls from July 8.

East Tennessee Trail Maintainers have already cleared the deadfalls between Dennis Cove Road and Wilburn Lake Road (with the exception of a few minor nuisances by Watauga Lake). They've done a great job.

As we finished up Pond Mountain on Thursday, we encountered a ETTM crew at Shook Branch Road. They told us it was absolutely impassible beyond Wilbur Lake Road. We heard similar reports from Bob Peoples and from Jim at the new Boots Off hostel. Word was that two Marines hiking southbound (the easier way, for it's downhill) said it was nearly impossible. Another hiker described it as "breaking his spirit." The reports were discouraging, but there wasn't a good alternative - a road hike under the July sun was not viable. And slackpacking southbound from Tennessee Hwy. 91 meant 20 miles with the blowdown region near the end. So we decided to proceed north with full packs; to give it a good faith effort; then, if we couldn't make it, we'd turn back and skip the section.

North of Wilburn Lake Road, the trail ascends steeply up Iron Mountain for 0.75 miles. The vast majority of the blowdown "nests" are concentrated in this region. According to two southbound backpackers who were just finishing as we began, there are a total of about 45 "nests." By "nest," I mean that multiple trees and treetops blocked the trail in many locations, making it challenging to find a way through. Many times, we diverted up the mountainside to bypass these "nests." Enough hikers had preceded us that there are now discernible trails around most of the obstacles.

Of that 0.75-mile stretch, not the entire length is blocked. The nests are occasional, so that there is open walking part of the way.

You'll clear the blowdown area just before topping out on that steep climb. From there, the walking is better because you're on the crest of the mountain, meaning there are usually easy routes around most of the rest of the blowdowns. But there were two more areas that were tough: (1) there's a low area with a boulder-choked spring a bit south of Vandeventer Shelter. Just upstream from the spring there are many large trees down with the tops blocking the trail. This obstacle take just a few minutes to clear. (2) there's another series of challenges north of Vendeventer - perhaps ten or so deadfalls that require bushwhacking a bit uphill or downhill. These aren't as bad as they 0.75-mile stretch but will slow a tired hiker.

Overall, we made the four miles from Wilbur Lake Road to Vandeventer Shelter in four hours, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on a sultry July day. My boys could've made it in three hours. So the going is difficult but by no means as bad as some folks are making it out to be.

As for water, there was good water at Vandeventer, Iron Mountain, Double Springs, and Abingdon Gap shelters. In between, several springs (in particular, the rocky one south of Vandeventer and the one a mile or two south of Abingdon Gap) had water.

Good luck!

Journal Entries
    Images

Great info, thanks!

Hi guys, I'm heading out to do this section next weekend. Are things mostly back to "normal"?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Yes, Ive hiked Erwin to Damascus since the first week of August and the trail is fine.

How is the water flowing? I have understood it has been dry. Has it improved?

++ New Posts ++