WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Atmosphere is most Hostels?

My wife and I are planning a SOBO thru hike in 2017 and while we are fairly experienced, we've only stayed in one hostel. That was during the off season and we had the place to ourselves. Given the party atmosphere I've heard about at many of the hostels, is this typical or something more commonly associated with the NOBO bubble? Is there usually any privacy to be had?

We would like to cut costs by avoiding motels when possible...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I have not had a bad experience in a hostel...For the most part. I have stayed in some that are not so nice, and I've spent some time in others that are really nice. I would suggest looking at the hostel and where'd you would be staying, and if it doesn't suit your fancy most all hostels allow tenting.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

We've stayed in several hostels, avoiding any that have a party reputation, and not had any issues. I tend to agree with your suspicion that the NOBO bubble is where most of the problems are.

Images

Yeah, truly, my hostels stays while in the bubble were completely different than my "off-season" hostel stays. It really does make a difference when in or around that darn "bubble", so going SOBO should be much better in this respect, even when you reach the NOBO's, they are so thinned out by then, it should no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yeah, truly, my hostels stays while in the bubble were completely different than my "off-season" hostel stays. It really does make a difference when in or around that darn "bubble", so going SOBO should be much better in this respect, even when you reach the NOBO's, they are so thinned out by then, it should no issue.
    I COULD be wrong, as I have not followed a bubble to Maine, but I would imagine 99% the party scene that would be a disturbance has either quit hiking, or quit their habits by somewhere in southern half of VA.

Images

Thanks to everyone for the info. It's kind of funny, we're not anti-social and in fact we enjoy the company of other hikers...just on our terms. :-)
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Privacy????? You might get lucky. Think of the worst motel that you have decided not to stay at. Then imagine that the room hasn't been cleaned in a while. Then imagine that you have to share the room with dirty, farting hikers. Then imagine there's a party going on. Then try not to be paranoid about the Nora Virus. I guess if I had blisters, shin splints, sore knees, I smelled like a donkeys butt, it was raining really hard, or it was really cold out, I would stay at one again. But not with my girlfriend.

Default ooopps

I know there are some great hostels

Typically, the atmosphere is quite stinky.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
    Privacy????? You might get lucky. Think of the worst motel that you have decided not to stay at. Then imagine that the room hasn't been cleaned in a while. Then imagine that you have to share the room with dirty, farting hikers. Then imagine there's a party going on. Then try not to be paranoid about the Nora Virus. I guess if I had blisters, shin splints, sore knees, I smelled like a donkeys butt, it was raining really hard, or it was really cold out, I would stay at one again. But not with my girlfriend.
    IMO this is inaccurate and should be taken with a grain of salt. Most all hostels I have stayed at are cleaned daily, have private rooms, singular shower bathrooms(privacy), do not smell, fresh sheets, some sort of warm breakfast and complimentary shuttle to town at least twice a day.

My husband and I hiked northbound last year and only stayed at a couple of hostels so I cant comment on the atmosphere in most hostels. We found that the cost of a hostel for two people was close enough to the cost of a cheap motel that we were willing to pay a bit more (or less) for some privacy. That being said, we started our hike at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega and have stayed there a couple of times for short hikes and that place is awesome.

I've stayed at many hostels, too, and not had problems. But I planned my Southern sections to avoid the bubble, and hiked southbound.

I have only stayed in a few, and they were all relatively clean, quiet and friendly. I caught the tail end of the bubble in Gorham NH in September while staying at the White Mountain Lodge and Hostel. I thought it was outstanding, as did my 19 year old daughter. It was a mix of thrus, section hikers, and even a few peak baggers. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

I've only stayed at a hostel on one night. It was a "donations accepted" kind of place that was very rustic. It was in central VA and not during the thru hiker season. That night a "hiker" with a drinking problem threw a temper tantrum after being evicted for staying a few nights longer than he was welcome. However, I look forward to future stays at other hostels as I assume my first and only experience to date was an exception rather than the rule. I wonder if hostels that charge a set fee are less prone to attracting problem hikers than the "donations accepted" hostels.

Images

The trail grapevine is very strong and mostly accurate. You will quickly learn where to stay and where to avoid.

Most hostels, motels and restaurants work hard to maintain a good reputation but the ultimate judge are the hikers we serve.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries

You can never tell, a lot depends on fellow travelers.

ONE sketchy person can ruin it and make you wish youd just sprung the extra for motel.

The nicer place, better kept, stricter rules, the better chances of a good stay.

My hostel experience: stinky, no privacy, very little sleep, stolen gear, stolen food, "party people".

The one good experience: the Ft. Mason, San Francisco hostel had a separate accomodation for handicapped, and I was in a wheelchair.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    My wife and I are planning a SOBO thru hike in 2017 and while we are fairly experienced, we've only stayed in one hostel. That was during the off season and we had the place to ourselves. Given the party atmosphere I've heard about at many of the hostels, is this typical or something more commonly associated with the NOBO bubble? Is there usually any privacy to be had?

We would like to cut costs by avoiding motels when possible...
    There are sobo's that party just as much as the nobo's but for the most part the bad apples have been weeded out. I own a hostel, I don't drink but I allow it. Back when I was hiking, I drank back then too, I would avoid hostels that had a party atmosphere because the law could get called anytime was my reasoning and I did not want to get caught up anything. But if I were to go out there today and if I had the money I would not avoid any of it, I'd check it out because I might have one of the best experiences I ever had. If your warning signal goes off listen to it and get out of there. Remember this, especially if you run into a hiker telling you such and such hostel is not good or this place is better than that place and so forth, just have your own opinion and check it out because what you are getting is the advice based on their experience only. Who knows they may have did something to bring about the bad experience. If you hear a good many hikers talking crap about someplace, could be some truth to it but there again check it out.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The trail grapevine is very strong and mostly accurate. You will quickly learn where to stay and where to avoid.

Most hostels, motels and restaurants work hard to maintain a good reputation but the ultimate judge are the hikers we serve.
    I agree with you somewhat on this. With that said every year there is some kind of drama either with a business along the trail or a hiker. And when the rumors begin there will be more crap and lies tacked to the truth of the matter that makes you want to avoid that person or business altogether. I know first hand about this kind of slandering. For the most part I have had a good run so far, no complaints there. But I have been drug through the mud not only once but a few times because I had a disagreement with some hiker that everyone listens too.

Like I suggested to the original poster, be alert but have your own opinion on what you hear, don't just listen to every bit of gossip there is about someplace because more often than not you are getting a story that has been passed around and added to

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the info. It's kind of funny, we're not anti-social and in fact we enjoy the company of other hikers...just on our terms. :-)
    Exactly..............................

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++