WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Meal Planning

Default Meal Planning

Getting ready to head to Oregon for a month, during which I will backpack in the Columbia River Gorge, Mount Hood, Mount Jefferson, and Eagle Cap Wilderness. I only have two more dishes to cook and dehydrate, and I am set. I always eat like a king while on the trail. Here is my meal plan for Eagle Cap.

Meal Plan - Eagle Cap_1.jpg
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Wow, people actually use spreadsheets to plan these things? Our method is:

1) Go to grocery store.

2) Fill up cart with junk food until it looks like we have enough food for the trip.

3) Go hike.

Most of the time we end up with enough food, though not always.

(Seriously, though, that looks like a great menu. What are applesauce rolls?)

What is a Niagra bar or peanut butter jerky?

What is a vegan sloppy joe? or did I misunderstand?

I recently found my energy is better if I leave out wheat and milk, so I am not a vegan, but it is surprising to find out I have much more energy by using some "alternative" food items.

Cucina & Amore brand has prepared quinoa and pesto in two lightweight plastic containers, also a quinoa meal of artichoke and roasted peppers and I have become a big fan of hummus on bean crackers or with bean chips seen in the grocery store.
    Last edited by Connie; 07-14-2016 at 03:42.

mostly the same stuff every day? have some backup options if you're going to be there a month or you might get pretty tired of the same food!

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Wow, people actually use spreadsheets to plan these things? Our method is:

1) Go to grocery store.

2) Fill up cart with junk food until it looks like we have enough food for the trip.

3) Go hike.

Most of the time we end up with enough food, though not always.

(Seriously, though, that looks like a great menu. What are applesauce rolls?)
    I met a guy once who was going to miss the bus so had only 5 minutes to shop. He ended up just getting a giant jar of circus peanuts and ate those all week.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I met a guy once who was going to miss the bus so had only 5 minutes to shop. He ended up just getting a giant jar of circus peanuts and ate those all week.
    On the PCT, a few hikers were doing the "one-food challenge": do an entire trail section (like 4-5 days) eating only a single food. One guy I met was doing it with peanut M&M's. IIRC, he had some crazy cravings for salt by the end of the section.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    What are applesauce rolls?
    The Applesauce Rolls are great because they are actually two things in one. You can eat them as is, and enjoy a great fruit roll that tastes like cinnamon-ginger applesauce, or you can rehydrate them with hot water for warm applesauce with a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    What is a Niagra bar
    That one is a recipe from Laurie Marsh that I got from Another Fork in the Trail, I believe, though I can't remember if that was the source. Since it is copyright protected material, I haven't made a video of it, but it is an oatmeal and brown sugar tasting bar that it super easy to make.

BTW, since you mentioned liking hummus, I also make what is on the menu planner as "Greek Red Pepper Dip," but is actually lime and garlic flavored hummus with roasted red pepper. That's another Another Fork in the Trail recipe, and it is fantastic. Only takes some cold water to rehydrate it.

or peanut butter jerky?
    Another dish of my own creation. Think of a chewy cross between a caramel candy bar and a peanut butter powdered doughnut. It has tofu in it, but don't let that scare you. I have served this to a number of people that aren't vegan, and not a single person didn't love it. You will never know that it has tofu in it; I promise!

What is a vegan sloppy joe?
    I have shot most of the video for how to make this, but I won't likely have the time to post it before September, when I get back from Oregon. Really great stuff. Texturized Vegetable Protein based, and it comes out just like a hamburger based meal. Super high in protein. Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel, Vegan Packer, so that you can see how to make it, when it posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    mostly the same stuff every day? have some backup options if you're going to be there a month or you might get pretty tired of the same food!
    This could be an issue for some, and I get that. However, I am a creature of habit for most of my meals, especially breakfast. I did this on purpose.

Lunch is one that I will eventually vary, but I love my lunch recipe so much that I have never tired of it, plus it is a real meal instead of just jamming something down that helps me to keep moving. It only takes cold water and about three minutes to rehydrate, and it is super leightweight. I sometimes vary the bread product on which I serve it, but that is about it.

Dinner is the one meal that I vary often. Current items for the main course alternate between: Pad Thai (video on that will come out later), Cheezburger Tacos (so good that I could eat those every night, so I often have them more than once on a given trip leg); Sloppy Joes (video to come out in September or so); and a vegan chicken/turkey dish that I have yet to film.

"Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

++ New Posts ++