WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Another option would be for you to carry a light weight single shelter and hubby carry the two person when he joins you. That way you aren't lugging the extra weight the entire way.
    I'd go with this option. If financially feasible, find another 1-person tent that is lighter. If not, carry the 1-person tent that you have. Happy trails!
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I'd go with this option. If financially feasible, find another 1-person tent that is lighter. If not, carry the 1-person tent that you have. Happy trails!
    Great suggestion. Hubby is capable of carrying more weight too!

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Another option would be for you to carry a light weight single shelter and hubby carry the two person when he joins you. That way you aren't lugging the extra weight the entire way.
    Malto- Thanks, that's a great option. I never thought about that.

I just weighed one stake and it's 0.35 oz, not too bad. I'll pack them all.

Thanks everyone!

My sister carries a two person Big Agnes Fly Creek for just her.

Two person is only 4 oz more than the one person and both are under 2lbs.
    Fly Creek HB UL1: $350 at REI, 1 lb, 11 oz.
    Fly Creek HV UL2: $390 at REI, 1 lb, 15 oz

Or what Judy said about LightHeart tent.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFeather View Post
    I am in the very early planning stages for my 2017 NOBO hike and could use some advice from seasoned thru hikers.

I just purchased a 2 person tent (MSR Hubba Hubba NX). About 60-70% of the time I will be hiking solo, and my hubby will be joining me on his days off from work (he works 7 days on, 7 days off).

I'm mainly concerned carrying the extra weight of a 2 person tent if I'm going to be hiking solo most of the time. It's 1 lbs of difference between the one person and the two person tents:

1 person: 2 lbs, 7 oz
    2 person: 3 lbs, 7 oz

Since my weights are starting to add up, I'm a bit worried. The alternatives would be both cramming into a single tent when the hubs hikes with me, having him carry a separate tent when he joins me, or somehow dropping off the 2 person tent and switching it out for a single every other week (doesn't seem within the realm of practicality).

Thanks in advance!
    I have hiked well over 1000 miles and have almost always used a 2 person tent. Reason being, the times I really want a tent are the days of bad weather. If you decide to hang out for a couple extra hours (or even a whole day) to let the weather pass, you want to be comfortable and have some elbow room. With a 2 person tent you have room to roll out your sleeping bag on one side and lay out all of your clothing and gear on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Egilbe : The SoLong 6 and the Duo were designed to fit a 6'8" guy - at 6'3" - you would certainly fit with room to spare.
    Judy - LightHeart Gear

Ooohhh....good to know

Another vote for getting a lightweight two person tent. I switched from a single SMD Trekker to a ZPacks Duplex. I was fine in the Trekker, but the Duplex may have just been my best investment of all of my equipment. I keep all of my gear inside with me, which has been great and still allows me plenty of room.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    Another vote for getting a lightweight two person tent. I switched from a single SMD Trekker to a ZPacks Duplex. I was fine in the Trekker, but the Duplex may have just been my best investment of all of my equipment. I keep all of my gear inside with me, which has been great and still allows me plenty of room.
    I LOVE my Duplex...quite the cost investment, but I think it was money very well spent!

Registered User allmebloominlife's Avatar

Have you looked at the new Tarptent Motrail? It will hold 2 large pads and only weighs 36oz. It does require trekking poles though. I've used the TT Stratospire 2p and it's downright palatial but a bit heavier.

Zpacks Duplex. 20 ounces and plenty for two when he joins you. Keep an eye on the various buy/sell forums across the interweb. This is around the time that attempted thru hikers who never made it past Neel Gap will be selling their gear. I've seen Duplex's sell for the price of a MSR 2 person tent.

I have the LightHeart Duo and I absolutely love it! I will be carrying it for my solo thru hike next year (2017).

I'm planning a solo thru hike in 2018. Bought a 1 person tent (Big Agnes) but quickly realized a two person has many benefits for a solo hiker. And the thread here has been helpful with the comments about a rain day, which I didn't consider.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I have been hiking on the AT since 1969 and have gone to lightweight gear for almost everything I carry. The one exception is my tent. I use a full size 2 person tent that weights about 3.5 lbs. Saving one pound to be in a body condom is just not worth it. I can move around, easily get at my gear, and that 16 hours I spent in a driving rainstorm in my tent was a vacation vs. 30 days in the hole. My pocket knife has evolved from a K-bar, to a Swiss army knife, to the smallest single blade buck knife on the market (well under an ounce), but my tent stopped evolving about 20 years ago.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Journal Entries

I am a big person, so I carry a 2 person tent just for me all the time because I like my own space for my stuff and to stretch out. My husband hammocks, but one night he couldn't get warm, so he slept with me and it was snug in there, as he is no size small himself, but it was warm and toasty and we slept pretty well. I carry a TT Double Moment and I truly like it. I am about 5'8" and heavier than most men that post on here and this tent is just perfect for me in size and capability. The pitch can be tricky sometimes but it has kept me warm and dry when outside it was cold and wet and I sleep really well in there and it's pretty lightweight. I also slept with my 17 year old daughter a couple of night in it too. She is tall like me but half my girth. We were quite comfortable. I will say that I am now strongly leaning toward hammocking now, but not because there is anything wrong with my tent.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

Oh and also, another thing to consider... condensation WILL happen. If you are centered in your tent and not touching any of the walls at all, it will increase your chances of not getting at all wet by like 80% or more. Another reason I like a 2 person tent for just me. I like to get dead center so I touch no walls at all.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

I hike with 3.3 lb 2 person free standing tent. and it's gloriously easy, cheap and big
    You'll be able to send your husband home with cold weather stuff as soon as you're done and spend your money on keeping all your other items light. Plus, if you're getting frequent visits, you can get away with not having much portable phone charging, etc, and some of that stuff ads up.
    Carrying the 2 person tent will add a bit... but if you play it right, then having him along can save you some weight on other aspects. ie: he can carry the stove/tent, etc, when he's there

Images

I bought a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2, two person tent, many years ago with the assumption that I would eventually get my wife into backpacking. That never happened, but I sure do enjoy having my pack inside, and still having plenty of room, when the weather turns nasty. Not sure what I will do when it comes time to replace it - probably another two person tent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++