WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rehydrating meals

Has any of you tried mixing some unheated water with your dehydrated dinner items around lunchtime to give them a head start on rehydrating? I hear complaints about some things that don't rehydrate easily (ground beef, corn, peas) and it seems like giving them a few hours head start on rehydrating would help. Of course it would require an extra container, but a pint-sized plastic mayo jar doesn't weigh much. Too much hassle? Good idea? Thoughts?
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Images

I would think carrying extra fluid in an extra container defeats the purpose of going dehydrated in the first place. I FBC for weight savings and quick cleanup.

Images

I find that a pot cozy really takes care of rehydrating a dehydrateded meal. A cozy saves on fuel consumption while allowiing plenty of time for rehydrating and keeping the meal hot.

A container to rehydrate during the day is just one more things to carry, and personally I would hate to have something happen that it opened up and spilled into my pack.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I used North Bay Trading Co. freeze and air dried veggies (love their hot veggie blend). I mix them with pasta and then boil everything together. They rehydrate nicely. I then strain it, mix in some olive oil, garlic powder, black pepper and parmesan. My favorite trail meal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am actually curious about this since I want to make pasta salad type meals for dinner...no cooking. I hate cooking after hiking but want something substantial. Rehydrated pasta then add shelf-stable things at camp. I can't find anywhere that explains if this is even possible...how long does it take to rehydrate regular pasta with cold water?

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I am actually curious about this since I want to make pasta salad type meals for dinner...no cooking. I hate cooking after hiking but want something substantial. Rehydrated pasta then add shelf-stable things at camp. I can't find anywhere that explains if this is even possible...how long does it take to rehydrate regular pasta with cold water?
    Open the box of pasta salad. Put the pasta in a ziplock bag and cover with water. Close the bag. Check in 6 hours. Add water if needed. Try eating the pasta in 10 hours which should approximate a day on the trail. Tell us how it worked.
    You don't need to be on a trail to test things like this.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Open the box of pasta salad. Put the pasta in a ziplock bag and cover with water. Close the bag. Check in 6 hours. Add water if needed. Try eating the pasta in 10 hours which should approximate a day on the trail. Tell us how it worked.
    You don't need to be on a trail to test things like this.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    They make pre-boxed pasta salad? Hmm, will have to check that out. I will do some testing and let you know...I'm laid up with an achilles tendon strain so need to fill my time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Has any of you tried mixing some unheated water with your dehydrated dinner items around lunchtime to give them a head start on rehydrating? I hear complaints about some things that don't rehydrate easily (ground beef, corn, peas) and it seems like giving them a few hours head start on rehydrating would help. Of course it would require an extra container, but a pint-sized plastic mayo jar doesn't weigh much. Too much hassle? Good idea? Thoughts?
    I have gotten a head start in camp (with cold water in my pot) while setting up my shelter or just hanging if I get in early. Prefer not to carry the extra water weight on trail. I also use a cozy after heating water to avoid bottom burning during simmering, to avoid cooling off of my food, and to avoid incomplete rehydration of food.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Looks like the only suitable pasta for rehydrating with cold water will be Ramen (since it is pre-cooked). Apparently others have tried this and it doesn't work...the starch needs cooking to be edible.

I have taken many stove-less pasta meals. I have not had luck re-hydrating dry, "raw" pasta from the package, including ramen. I have experimented with mac and cheese, and angel hair and ramen. It all turns to disgusting, unappetizing goo. People have said that you can rehydrate ramen in cold water... but it was gross, to me.

However, I have had good success with Minute (Brown) Rice (for making a rice salad or just cold rice and beans). I have also have great success cooking pasta and dehydrating it at home. Couscous would probably work, but I don't like it. I don't know why. I should like it. It is just tiny pasta bits. Oh well.

Minute rice and home dehydrated pasta re-hydrate just fine in cold water. It depends on the water temp and the air temp... but angle hair pasta or rice generally take 1/2 to 3 hours to re-hydrate. I have not had a problem with it over-hydrating. The only brand I've used is Barrilla Plus Angel Hair Pasta. YMMV with a different brand or a different shape pasta.

To the original poster: I have also pre-hydrated food to be cooked on a stove, as I hate the crunchy crumbles.

Usually, 30-90 minutes is enough - depending on the crunchy bits in the meal and how cold/warm the water is and how cold/warm the weather is.

I had to add more water before heating to prevent the food from burning and sticking to the pot. This probably depends on on your pot and stove.

I didn't take an extra container. I used a pot with the lid held on by a rubber-band in a couple of Ziploc bags. Put it in a side pocket. It isn't leakproof, but if you are sorta careful, it it will stay upright.
    Last edited by DLP; 07-15-2016 at 14:15.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    I have taken many stove-less pasta meals. I have not had luck re-hydrating dry, "raw" pasta from the package. It turns to disgusting, unappetizing goo. I have not had luck with any pasta straight from the package, including ramen. People have said that you can rehydrate ramen in cold water... but I didn't like it at all.

However, I have had good success with Minute (Brown) Rice (for making a rice salad or just cold rice and beans). I have also had great success cooking pasta and dehydrating it at home.

Minute rice and home dehydrated pasta re-hydrate just fine in cold water, for me. It depends on the water temp and the air temp... but angle hair pasta generally takes 30-90 minutes to re-hydrate. I have not had a problem with it over-hydrating. The only brand I've used is Barrilla Plus Angel Hair Pasta. YMMV with a different brand or a different shape pasta.

To the original poster: I have pre-hydrated food as I hate the crunchy crumbles. The extra water doesn't weigh that much.

Usually, 30-90 minutes is enough - depending on the crunchy bits in the meal and how cold/warm the water is and how cold/warm the weather is.

I had to add more water to prevent the food from burning and sticking to the pot. This probably depends on on your pot and stove.

I didn't take an extra container. I used a pot with the lid held on by a rubber-band in a couple of Ziploc bags. Put it in a size pocket. It isn't leakproof, but if you are sorta careful, it it will stay upright.
    Thanks for this. I have been looking at buying a dehydrator...looks like this is the incentive I need.

I rehydrate veggies at lunch time. Only takes half a cup of water or so. At supper I add my rehydrated veggies to whatever im cooking that night, pasta, rice, potatoes, instant soup, or whatever. On a three or four day trip, the extra four ounces of water weight isnt going to kill me.

Thanks, everyone. FYI, I wish we could edit posts. Now I have a permanent record of a grammatical error in my OP.

Thanks for this. I have been looking at buying a dehydrator...looks like this is the incentive I need.
    I've been dehydrating it outside in the sun. I'm in CA most of the time and the humidly is low and the sun is hot. I'm thinking of buying a dehydrator but sort of hate the thought of another appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Thanks, everyone. FYI, I wish we could edit posts. Now I have a permanent record of a grammatical error in my OP.
    Donate to the site. Then you can edit.

Donate to the site. Then you can edit.
    Good to know. The information I've gotten on here is worth it for sure.

I have taken many stove-less pasta meals. I have not had luck re-hydrating dry, "raw" pasta from the package, including ramen. I have experimented with mac and cheese, and angel hair and ramen. It all turns to disgusting, unappetizing goo. People have said that you can rehydrate ramen in cold water... but it was gross, to me.

However, I have had good success with Minute (Brown) Rice (for making a rice salad or just cold rice and beans). I have also have great success cooking pasta and dehydrating it at home. Couscous would probably work, but I don't like it. I don't know why. I should like it. It is just tiny pasta bits. Oh well.

Minute rice and home dehydrated pasta re-hydrate just fine in cold water. It depends on the water temp and the air temp... but angle hair pasta or rice generally take 1/2 to 3 hours to re-hydrate. I have not had a problem with it over-hydrating. The only brand I've used is Barrilla Plus Angel Hair Pasta. YMMV with a different brand or a different shape pasta.

To the original poster: I have also pre-hydrated food to be cooked on a stove, as I hate the crunchy crumbles.

I had to add more water before heating to prevent the food from burning and sticking to the pot. This probably depends on on your pot and stove.

I didn't take an extra container. I used a pot with the lid held on by a rubber-band in a couple of Ziploc bags. Put it in a side pocket. It isn't leakproof, but if you are sorta careful, it it will stay upright.
    I also wonder if the pasta #10 cans from Mountain House would be the appropriate kind of dehydrated pasta. I'll have to email them and find out as I do have some.

My experience with re-hydrated pre-cooked pasta coincides with DLP's comments above.

I have found that couscous actually re-hydrates quite well in cold water, unlike all other noodle options I've tried, including ramen that re-hydrates sorta okay in cold water.

I've found brown minute-rice to re-hydrate okay in cold water, but it continues to maintain a bit of crunchiness.

Instant mashed potatoes re-hydrate great in cold water. I actually don't think there is a difference (other than maybe a minute of time) between hot and cold in instant mashed potato re-hydration.

It's easy and cheap enough to buy a few packages of the above mentioned starches and just experiment at home some afternoon. That way you can also get a handle on how much time each needs to reach what you consider acceptable levels of re-hydration. Except dried veggies and/or meat, most foods take significantly less than an hour to re-hydrate, even in cold water.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I've been dehydrating it outside in the sun. I'm in CA most of the time and the humidly is low and the sun is hot. I'm thinking of buying a dehydrator but sort of hate the thought of another appliance.
    Good to hear...Wyoming...hot, sunny and very low humidity. I might try that next week when the temps are expected to be 90. Can you PM me with how you do it, or even post it here if you think it's of interest to others in the thread.

I presoak dehydrated meals in camp before boiling to lessen rehydration time. I do this when I first get to camp and if I have enough water to do so. (I generally do.) I don't usually do this if the meal has dehydrated pasta in it. I find that the dehydrated pasta gets gooey if I do that as the pasta is easy to rehydrate.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++