WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CT Section 6 Question

Hi Folks,

Planning on Section 6 this Wednesday hiking East from Breckenridge to kenosha Pass. Haven't hiked in a while and trying to determine if I should do it over 2 1/2 days or 3 1/2 days. I would prefer a 8 mile per day pace to have time to work on my amateur photography, but I'm noticing the first 13 miles in that direction are at elevation. Anyone know if this stretch has any good places to camp and/or escape from storms or if I should push it 13 miles the first day to avoid exposure to the elements and find a safer place to camp for the first night. Thanks

Garlic
    Images

You just have to hike a mile or so exposed over Georgia Pass. The approach from Breck to the pass is all below tree line, rolling terrain, and there are good campsites just off trail. There's some private property and one major dog kennel operation. You may have to carry water for a dry camp. You can camp along the Swan River, but it's crowded and buggy, by CT standards. Have a good hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++