Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Registered User ggreaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-13-2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    53
    Posts
    190

    Default Are there Pokemons on Katahdin?

    Any summit pics with monsters all over the sign?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-27-2003
    Location
    northern whites
    Posts
    4,279

    Default

    I expect you asking rhetorically, but no electronic devices in the park and therefore the virtual monsters are protected along with all the other real animals in the park.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I expect you asking rhetorically, but no electronic devices in the park and therefore the virtual monsters are protected along with all the other real animals in the park.

    what about all of those summit photos that everyone takes? i suppose an old school full manual film camera isnt electronic but i doubt thats what people are using.

  4. #4

    Default

    I think Peakbagger means no cell service in the park so no virtual monsters. Unless there is a mode in the app to operate off line with just GPS.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

  5. #5

    Default

    Those monsters are all (sub)urban. My son didn't see a single one while helping me cut weeds in Tray Mountain wilderness last week.

  6. #6
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,057
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I expect you asking rhetorically, but no electronic devices in the park and therefore the virtual monsters are protected along with all the other real animals in the park.
    Electronic devices (with some exceptions, like metal detectors) are absolutely permitted in Baxter State Park.

    The regulations simply state that you may not use them in any way that impairs other people's enjoyment of the park (edit: or in a way harasses wildlife).

    Happy to be corrected on this by anyone who can provide a cite to the contrary.
    Last edited by rickb; 07-17-2016 at 11:05.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Untitled.png

    says it all

  8. #8

    Default

    Why would anyone poke a mom while she's driving???

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-27-2003
    Location
    northern whites
    Posts
    4,279

    Default

    Since the street corner lawyers have decided to participate Section 4.8 "The use of electronic devices in any way that impairs the enjoyment of the Park by others is prohibited".

    Traditionally the park staff enforces the rule by limiting the use of devices in public in manner that potentially disturbs others. Radios/tape decks can be used as long as they are not audible outside of the boundaries of campsite. What many folks don't realize is that it is quite rare to see a park employee and enforcing rules aggressively is not their primary job. They would much rather educate the public. Using a cell phone like a camera is most likely not impairing the preponderance of those on the summit. On the other hand someone with cell phone yacking to their friends with the conference function speaker cranked up probably would impair the enjoyment of others. Having not seen anyone actually playing the game I don't know if they would be actively impairing the enjoyment of others. I guess I would consider someone playing a cell phone game on top of Mt Katahdin as someone who seriously need to get a life.

  10. #10
    Registered User egilbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-18-2014
    Location
    Lewiston and Biddeford, Maine
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Since the street corner lawyers have decided to participate Section 4.8 "The use of electronic devices in any way that impairs the enjoyment of the Park by others is prohibited".

    Traditionally the park staff enforces the rule by limiting the use of devices in public in manner that potentially disturbs others. Radios/tape decks can be used as long as they are not audible outside of the boundaries of campsite. What many folks don't realize is that it is quite rare to see a park employee and enforcing rules aggressively is not their primary job. They would much rather educate the public. Using a cell phone like a camera is most likely not impairing the preponderance of those on the summit. On the other hand someone with cell phone yacking to their friends with the conference function speaker cranked up probably would impair the enjoyment of others. Having not seen anyone actually playing the game I don't know if they would be actively impairing the enjoyment of others. I guess I would consider someone playing a cell phone game on top of Mt Katahdin as someone who seriously need to get a life.
    Watching the mindless zombies playing pokemon go, on top of Katahdin, I'd assume they wouldnt have their current life very long

  11. #11
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,057
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Since the street corner lawyers have decided to participate Section 4.8 "The use of electronic devices in any way that impairs the enjoyment of the Park by others is prohibited".
    Exactly.

    But you can't harass wildlife with your electronic devices, either.

    That's in the regulations also.

    Electronic devices (most) are allowed, however.
    Last edited by rickb; 07-17-2016 at 20:50.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-23-2014
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    599
    Journal Entries
    4
    Images
    7

    Default

    What the what?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

  13. #13
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,057
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    What the what?
    While I would not expect BSP to follow the lead of the National Park Service, it is rather facinating that its director has already seen fit to speak out on Pokemon Go:

    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...video.php&_rdr

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Using a cell phone like a camera is most likely not impairing the preponderance of those on the summit.

    i wasnt referring merely to taking pictures with a cell phone. all cameras that have a functionality dependent upon batteries to operate, ie all digital cameras attached to a phone or not, and most (overwhelmingly so) film cameras are "electronic devices" and if there were such a rule would not be allowed in baxter state park.

    now clearly thats just a completely silly thing to suggest that such a rule exists. yet suggest it you did. that was my point.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    Any summit pics with monsters all over the sign?
    they can't be on Katahdin, cause everywhere I went today said they had em!

  16. #16
    In the shadows AfterParty's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-11-2016
    Location
    Norton, Kansas
    Age
    40
    Posts
    490
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    12

    Default

    What's a a Pokémon? Like Facebook

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-27-2003
    Location
    northern whites
    Posts
    4,279

    Default

    They have liberalized the rules in recent years to be far less restrictive so I will apologize for not checking the latest version of the rules.

  18. #18
    Registered User greenpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2016
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    62
    Posts
    97

    Default

    What the hell's a Pokemon? Is that like a Pac-Man?

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    They have liberalized the rules in recent years to be far less restrictive so I will apologize for not checking the latest version of the rules.
    so once upon a time cameras that required batteries to operate (auto focusing ones, whether film or digital) were not permitted in baxter state park? they are most certainly "electronic devices"

  20. #20
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,057
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    so once upon a time cameras that required batteries to operate (auto focusing ones, whether film or digital) were not permitted in baxter state park? they are most certainly "electronic devices"

    I am am not sure about that, but the BSP rules used to be much harsher.

    Not so long ago, they were written such that you would have been in violation for simply walking down the trail while listening to Air Supply on your headphones:


    25. AUDIO DEVICES: Audio devices such as radios, televisions, cassette players, or cellular telephones may not be operated within the Park.


    While that may quite rightly seem to be a crime even today, the way the rules are written now suggests it is not -- so long as you are not bothering wildlife, or other park users.
    Last edited by rickb; 07-18-2016 at 12:44.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •