WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Frogg Toggs or other options

Started to look at Froggy Togg options and I'm not sure of the differences. Ultra, pro, etc.

What's the popular choice? I'm an average sized guy, 5'10 180lbs, looking for a fairly lightweight and very compact rain suit that breathes well. One thing I didn't see, hopefully I missed our, is an option to cover my pack. Maybe like a cape option that surrounds it? What am I looking for exactly?

Look up Packa's. They cover the pack and act like a poncho. I've got a Frog Toggs jacket I use. While it's very light and fairly cheap, it doesn't seem to breath well. Hope that helps.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Every thoughtful opinion/post helps! Thank you.

I prefer not to go the poncho method, but it's not really based on anything other than the idea that I believe it provides a little less protection, especially in a sideways rain with some nice winds. Been through plenty of Florida storms, so that's what I anticipate, even if only once throughout my trip.

Not saying I won't go poncho, just haven't thought/heard enough about either concept.

Packas are not ponchos...they are like a rain jacket with a pack cover attached:

Journal Entries
    Images

I got frog togg ul but haven't tried them yet but it is pretty packable.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Packas are not ponchos...they are like a rain jacket with a pack cover attached:

I realized this after my response. Should have looked them up first. Thought I did and saw a poncho. Looks like it might be a winner.

...I sitter hope I'm wrong, but are they only available from their website and for around $100?

If so, what a friggin ripoff! I'm all for entrepreneurship, but screw that.

Journal Entries
    Images

My frog toggs were 20 at dicks

Yeah, the Frogg Toggs are a reasonable sub $20 from what I'm seeing. What do you pair with it to protect your pack?

I walked all morning in the rain. I got wet. No one died. Think of rain protection as something to keep you warm, not dry. You are either going to get wet from your own sweat, or the rain. Pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodwin View Post
    Yeah, the Frogg Toggs are a reasonable sub $20 from what I'm seeing. What do you pair with it to protect your pack?
    so what if your pack gets wet? Take steps to insure the stuff in your pack stays dry. Pack covers are right up there tent foot prints as one of manufactureres way of increasing profit.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    ...Take steps to insure the stuff in your pack stays dry...
    And somehow you don't see this as one of those steps?

And somehow you don't see this as one of those steps?
    Your Pack is going to get wet. Accept that. Now that you understand your pack is going to get wet, what do you need to do to keep the stuff inside it dry. Pack covers only partially work. A packa comes the closest to solving the weakess with pack covers. You still have the problem with back sweat soaking your pack. So, nothing you can do can keep your pack dry.

Buy a pack that doesn't soak up water. Line it with a trash compacter bag. Put your valuables in the trash compactor bag. Much lighter than and better water proofness than a pack cover.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    so what if your pack gets wet? Take steps to insure the stuff in your pack stays dry. Pack covers are right up there tent foot prints as one of manufactureres way of increasing profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally got to use a Frogg Togg jacket at the end of my last hike and it was a marked improvement over the poncho I had been using. A fellow who was leaving the trail gave the jacket to me and it made the next few days much more tolerable, maybe even saved me from hypothermia. The problem with the poncho was it was nearly impossible to get over the back of the pack and set up properly without the help of another person, it wasn't much help with warmth and it didn't keep me very dry.

I was impressed with how well the jacket worked to keep me dry and the inside didn't feel "clammy" after hiking all day in a light to moderate rain. However, the material is pretty flimsy so it's unclear how well it holds up long term. I've seen some which were more duct tape then fabric. OTOH, they are cheap and easy to replace.

As for a pack cover, I prefer to use one. You can get away with a plastic trash bag pack liner, but it can develop tares and the pack will absorb some water which can leak into the liner holes. Of course, after a few days to a week of wet weather, everything is either wet or very damp anyway. But it's good to put off the inevitable as long as possible and a pack cover can help in that regard. It also gives you something to empty the contents of your pack onto when digging down to get the tent and sleeping stuff at the bottom of the pack. You don't want to put stuff down on wet or muddy ground.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I finally got to use a Frogg Togg jacket at the end of my last hike and it was a marked improvement over the poncho I had been using. A fellow who was leaving the trail gave the jacket to me and it made the next few days much more tolerable, maybe even saved me from hypothermia. The problem with the poncho was it was nearly impossible to get over the back of the pack and set up properly without the help of another person, it wasn't much help with warmth and it didn't keep me very dry.

I was impressed with how well the jacket worked to keep me dry and the inside didn't feel "clammy" after hiking all day in a light to moderate rain. However, the material is pretty flimsy so it's unclear how well it holds up long term. I've seen some which were more duct tape then fabric. OTOH, they are cheap and easy to replace.

As for a pack cover, I prefer to use one. You can get away with a plastic trash bag pack liner, but it can develop tares and the pack will absorb some water which can leak into the liner holes. Of course, after a few days to a week of wet weather, everything is either wet or very damp anyway. But it's good to put off the inevitable as long as possible and a pack cover can help in that regard. It also gives you something to empty the contents of your pack onto when digging down to get the tent and sleeping stuff at the bottom of the pack. You don't want to put stuff down on wet or muddy ground.
    take one giant step forward as you launch the back flap of the poncho up over your head, an old timer showed me that move, seems simple and looks funny, but it works.

throw the poncho more up than back.

I'm just about convinced that I can make my own "Packa". It's made from ripstop silnylon right? (https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-1-oz-silnylon)

Journal Entries

I used a cape with hood + rain hat with a brim to cover the pack to good effect of keeping the pack dry, A MYOG project. Cape draped over the pack and wrapped around the shoulders with side clips that I could attach to the pack straps.

Also I have had very good success with a $0.99 emergency poncho, better then the frog toggs, and does add warmth. While the OP mentioned sideways rain, yes some gets in, but frogg toggs do get puddles in the sleeves, lift your arm up (treking pole plant uphill) and get a stream of cold water run down your side. Was considering making a drain hole in them.

Also rain skirt, not rain pants, unless you need then warmth. the skirt will keep you dryer, or ever totally dry, and well ventilated.

Consider that staying dry, or limiting water inside is not a sealing issue, but a water runoff issue. Layer with a rain hat to start, hood under, and think roof shingles having water run from one surface to the next.

I'm just about convinced that I can make my own "Packa". It's made from ripstop silnylon right? (https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-1-oz-silnylon)
    The maker of the Packa had a big sale on seconds recently might be worth contacting....unless you are an experienced seamstress....If it's not made with duct tape its out of my league...id rather buy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campmore has a pretty decent poncho bivvy for under $70 that I found to be adequate as it covers the pack when you put it on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++