WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 20 mile Mt. Greylock Overnight Loop Hike Suggestion?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone could suggest an overnight loop that involves summiting Mt. Greylock in Massachusetts. I'm thinking approx 20 miles total. Where can I park, camp, etc?

Thanks much!

Pete

Images

I climbed Mt. Greylock in May. I remember seeing a parking area in Cheshire at the end of a paved city street. It's about 6 or 8 miles to the top from there, then another 6 or so down to North Adams. I do know there are lots of trails on Greylock, but another will have to tell you about making them into a loop without a shuttle. Migrating Bird will know, I bet. If he doesn't post in this thread, you might PM him?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Park either at summit lot or Stony Ledge Campground. Do a loop of AT over Mt prospect, drop into vally & come up Hopper Trail. Been a while since I did it. Think it's about 18 miles. Campground option is nice if you you want a drive in site for first night. It is A State Park & Campground. I'd check on gate hours & rules.

Park at the end of Hopper Rd west of the mountain. Hike up the Mt Prospect Trail to the AT Southbound. Camp at Wilbur Shelter ( or keep hiking). Continue south on AT over summit to Hopper Trail, which will take you back down to. youe car, eventually.

Cosmo

Thanks guys! Cosmo how many miles is the loop that you suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by pvandall View Post
    Thanks guys! Cosmo how many miles is the loop that you suggested?
    About 14 miles or so. The climb up Mt Prospect is pretty steep, but after that it's not bad. You could shorten it by hiking up the Money Brook trail to Wilbur shelter,but you'd miss a nice viewpoint. See attached map. Or you can PM me for more details.

cosmo
    Attached Files Attached Files

++ New Posts ++