WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Strongly considering Notch, any issues with one?

I am looking to switch from the Squall 2 to the Notch.
    I like the entry, dual vestibules, and that I can sit up inside without having to scoot all the way to the door like I do in my Squall 2. Also, the Notch has a smaller footprint - sometimes finding a spot large enough for the 2 person tent has been a challenge.
    My hiking partner has one, and his experience is that it's perfect. He is but one person - so I'm asking the group:

Have you had any issues with your Tarptent Notch? If so, elaborate please.

The mitten hooks holding the inner net part to the fly were a bugger to remove. Something to think about if you have to take the shelter down one cold, rainy morning and want to stay somewhat dry while doing it. Because of the attached end struts, the shelter was somewhat more difficult to pack up and store in/on my backpack. Just some things I found to be con's with the shelter. With that said, I have given up on any more silnylon shelters. They just seemed to be more difficult to set up and keep taught, especially when there was any significant moisture. I've since went back to a solo double wall shelter which I believe is significantly more robust than and tarp tent product.

I've had few problems with my Notch. I wish itaybe had more floor space. What makes up for that are the generous vestibules. I have a dollar store car windshield sun screen I use as a floor for the vestibule. I also hung a net basket from the peak to keep little things from your pocket from getting lost on the floor. I also cut off a short length of cord from my bear bag. Using that and a mini biner I hang my mostly empty pack in the vestibule from the tent pole. All of these helped free up floor space when sleeping.

I love my Notch. I've used it for 3 years of backpacking adventures.
    I can set it up in under 3 minutes, and get a pretty taut pitch with regularity now. It took some practice.
    The only thing I've really struggled with is using my new poles (pacerpoles) with the notch, as they have non-straight handles. I'm going to work on a fix for that this weekend and see if I can come up with an easy way to flip the poles and have the hand-holds facing upward.
    Twitter: @mkehiker

I will agree with everything said above. Keeping it from sagging is my biggest issue by far, and experimenting with the pitch was the best way to help with it. I still had to tighten it up right before bed once I figured out the best pitch. That was the primary reason I switched to a ZPacks Duplex.

Other issues I noticed were the poles did make it harder to pack up until I got a larger stuff sack for it. Now I can wrap it up as loosely as I want and it still fits easily in the bag.

However, the Notch is still a great tent. It is one of the top 5 tents on the market in my opinion. I would recommend it to anyone.

I find that if I take out the poles and just let the tent drop, I can start at one end rolling the tent around the struts until I get to the other end. Then it stuffs in the bag fairly easily. That packs in the outer pouch of the pack.

The only problems I had with the Notch was when I flattened the tip of one of my trekking poles. I got some wind spray one night when the wind shifted.

I had no problem getting the fabric taut when I bothered to adjust it. Can raise the height of the poles, and move the side stakes outward for more ventilation, alternately can lower the poles and move the side stakes inwards for less ventilation. The adjustability is also important on concave/convex sites. Sets up and takes down quickly in the rain. The bathtub floor is bulletproof, or at least raspberry cane proof. Didn't even bother with a footprint.

The only concern I'd have would be if you're tall. Over 5'10" and you might be bumping your head as you sit up.

"The mitten hooks holding the inner net part to the fly were a bugger to remove"
    The trick is to twist them out.
    <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(235, 235, 235);">
    I shot and posted that video in a very short time (it shows...) just to demonstrate to a member of another forum how it's done.

Hard to believe that mitten hooks stump so many people.

Franco, that video has turned out to be very useful, lol.

I'm 6'0" and can sit up OK.

++ New Posts ++