WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thx tipi
    I'll defiantly add it to my list for this fall or winter...I can usually get away for a few 3-4 day trips over the fall winter and only one extended trip per year....I'm rescheduling my flight for week of Labor Day weekend....something about the Rockies that keep calling...I love the Appalachians I just like mixing it up. I look forward to the days when kids are grown my arse us hitting the road!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags;2082180 [I
    (I know a bunch of IT monkeys are probably going to have polish up their resume I suspect! )
    [/I]
    As an IT monkey I can assure you that sometimes, excrement really does happen, and the backup plan fails. It doesn't happen often, but in an industry like the airlines EVERYTHING gets snowballed exponentially.

You never know, you might end up having a better time in September. Try to find some kind of positive.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    As an IT monkey I can assure you that sometimes, excrement really does happen, and the backup plan fails. It doesn't happen often, but in an industry like the airlines EVERYTHING gets snowballed exponentially.

You never know, you might end up having a better time in September. Try to find some kind of positive.
    I hear ya......now hurry up and wait....

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post

those single point of failures because management was nickle and diming the infrastructure always comes back to bite the backend.

We'll be in SW Colorado (Durango-Silverton neighborhood) for the first 3 weeks of September with vehicles. Holler if we can help. We will be on trails for two 1 week hikes so might not be available.
    Have a great hike.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Boomer, as the French would say. September in CO is the best time anyway, moderate temps, less people, dancing aspens. My daughter was flying up from Huston for her ma mere's birthday celebrations and got caught up in the same ordeal.

I don't think there are any single points of failure in the IT world, but let's face it, today's airline travel is like 5th class, Irish steerage on the Titanic.

Fly around the planet four times yearly and get rewarded with warm food and a hot towel.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post

I don't think there are any single points of failure in the IT world, but let's face it, today's airline travel is like 5th class, Irish steerage on the Titanic.

Fly around the planet four times yearly and get rewarded with warm food and a hot towel.
    American carriers have basically discontinued first class domestically . Some foreign carriers have much cushier classier service.

I fly business class internationally and I likes it. I look forward to it. Stewardesses look like models,(whereas domestic carriers usually have pudgy 50 yr old women these days, recently there was a really fat one on a delta flight that couldnt fit down aisle, rubbed against me every time she passed ) food and service is good. They know your name before you get there and address you by it. Big screen with movies, games, flight tracker. Space and usb ports for phone, laptop, mp3, etc.Seat that reclines flat to lay down. No one ever hassles you about tray or seat not being upright, or your bag not put away. $5000 buys you a lot more than $500. Of course the lounges sre great too while waiting for flights, free food, wine, snacks, wifi in quiet nice environment.

Bottom line is most air service sucks because most people arent willing to pay for it. They can endure being treated like cattle for an hour or two. Then complain. Any way you look at it, when you can get 1000 miles in 3 hrs for $300, as opposed to your next option of two days and same price for gas, youve actually got a screaming deal, and nothing to complain about.

Royal-Jordanian_Boeing-787-Dreamliner_005.jpg

Royal-Jordanian-A319-Main-Course-LFL.jpg

7490386-11548226.jpg

Foreign flight attendants

crew8.jpg

US flight attendants

stddarqtkrqlqn.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-23-2016 at 13:17.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Stewardesses look like models,(whereas domestic carriers usually have pudgy 50 yr old women these days, recently there was a really fat one on a delta flight that couldnt fit down aisle, rubbed against me every time she passed )

7490386-11548226.jpg

Foreign flight attendants

crew8.jpg

US flight attendants

stddarqtkrqlqn.jpg
    This is absolutely disgusting and repulsive and misogynistic. I don't care if you're "joking", there's no reason to post anything like this on a hiking forum.

Do better. I hope I never meet you on the trail and have you look at me. I feel gross and objectified just reading this post.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by la.lindsey View Post
    This is absolutely disgusting and repulsive and misogynistic. I don't care if you're "joking", there's no reason to post anything like this on a hiking forum.

Do better. I hope I never meet you on the trail and have you look at me. I feel gross and objectified just reading this post.

Theres a problem in this country
    Spend time in other countries and its clear as day
    Americans are largely obese, fat, lazy. Both male and female. Its become so common its "ok", no one notices. 35% are OBESE. Not fat.

Airline industry had sruggled with this. Flight attendants have been regulated by weight. Google it.

This is not thw same in other countries and cultures. Women are respected and admired and put on pedestals still. Sometimes even killed by own family if they do things which destroys that respect .

If you dont want people to see you as a fat slob, dont be one. Its a choice. Despite whatever bs people tell themselves. Protecting peoples feelings and egos thru pc is whats whats wrong with things today.
    Need to teach pepple to address issues early on, instead of pretending they are great.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-23-2016 at 14:32.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Theres a problem in this country
    Spend time in other countries and its clear as day
    Americans are largely obese, fat, lazy. Both male and female. Its become so common its "ok", no one notices. 35% are OBESE. Not fat.

Airline industry had sruggled with this. Flight attendants have been regulated by weight. Google it.

This is not thw same in other countries and cultures. Women are respected and admired and put on pedestals still. Sometimes even killed by own family if they do things which destroys that respect .

If you dont want people to see you as a fat slob, dont be one. Its a choice. Despite whatever bs people tell themselves. Protecting peoples feelings and egos thru pc is whats whats wrong with things today.
    Need to teach pepple to address issues early on, instead of pretending they are great.
    I'm not fat. I don't want you looking at me and judging if I'm model-worthy or not. The way you're judging women is gross. There's no need to bring up weight or women or flight attendants in this thread. You clearly have an issue with it.

Journal Entries

I'm not fat. I don't want you looking at me and judging if I'm model-worthy or not. The way you're judging women is gross. There's no need to bring up weight or women or flight attendants in this thread. You clearly have an issue with it.

Your making things up because you have some issue. I only stated facts. A very huge flight attendant on delta repeatedly had to squeeze past me, rubbing herself all over me, while I tried to avoid it. And that foreign airlines make it a point to have much slimmer more attractive attendants. This goes with the higher class of service they provide, as compared to domestic airlines today.

Newsflash....people like beautiful people . Thats the way it is, and has always been. Its programmed into us. Theres a reason my mug isnt all over TV.

If you dont like the real world, thats your problem.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-23-2016 at 15:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    We'll be in SW Colorado (Durango-Silverton neighborhood) for the first 3 weeks of September with vehicles. Holler if we can help. We will be on trails for two 1 week hikes so might not be available.
    Have a great hike.
    Wayne

I'll be there for about the first 3 weeks as well.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

I agree totally with Muddy Waters here.
    Obviously la.lindsey hasn't flown internationally with foreign airlines.
    The difference is like night and day.
    Not only the weight, but the smiles too.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    +2

............sad when my 600 lb life is a top rated series....only in America...

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I have. I lived in France. I do not disagree that obesity is an issue in America and other countries in the world; I take issue with the discussion being directed at *women* specifically and it having nothing to do with their ability to perform their job but merely muddy waters' ability to enjoy looking at them. And, also, sometimes he is touched by fat women and he doesn't like that. If the "model skinny European" flight attendants had brushed against him, I doubt he would have complained. Now, had it been a man...who knows.

The discussion was not about flight attendants; the thread is about Southwest computers. And the picture he posted of "fat Americans" is hardly illustrative. Overweight, yes, but probably not obese. And somehow he only managed to discuss *women* when flight attendants can also be men, and he also equated their looks with their weight when the two are in no way related.

This is behavior that has no place on a hiking forum. I've been looking for the user agreement but can't seem to find it. I would hope that this sort of behavior is at least strongly discouraged but evidently it's not.

I realize I'm probably more of a liberal feminist than most of you are comfortable with, and that's fine, but some moderation would be appreciated.

Do better. The women in your lives would most likely appreciate it.

Journal Entries

I have. I lived in France. I do not disagree that obesity is an issue in America and other countries in the world; I take issue with the discussion being directed at *women* specifically and it having nothing to do with their ability to perform their job but merely muddy waters' ability to enjoy looking at them. And, also, sometimes he is touched by fat women and he doesn't like that. If the "model skinny European" flight attendants had brushed against him, I doubt he would have complained. Now, had it been a man...who knows.

The discussion was not about flight attendants; the thread is about Southwest computers. And the picture he posted of "fat Americans" is hardly illustrative. Overweight, yes, but probably not obese. And somehow he only managed to discuss *women* when flight attendants can also be men, and he also equated their looks with their weight when the two are in no way related.

This is behavior that has no place on a hiking forum. I've been looking for the user agreement but can't seem to find it. I would hope that this sort of behavior is at least strongly discouraged but evidently it's not.

I realize I'm probably more of a liberal feminist than most of you are comfortable with, and that's fine, but some moderation would be appreciated.

Do better. The women in your lives would most likely appreciate it.

you are inventing things again.
    Where did I say I enjoyed looking at anyone?
    I dont want anyone rubbing up against me with their arse .
    But since you bring it up, of course I would prefer it to be a very attractive woman. Everyone would.
    Even other women. All people would prefer to be touched by an attractive person, than a lesser attractive one. Its innate.

No discussion was directed at women.
    It was a comment about a higher class of service that foreign airlines and international business class offer, in response to someone saying airlines were like steerage on the titanic.
    I simply reporting facts. The way things are.
    Heres the thing. In some jobs looks and impressions are part of what a company offers.
    Check out news anchorwomen. Where are the uggos? Wheres the fat ones?
    Even Greta Van Susterern had to have her teeth whitenend and perpetual sneer fixed.

You cant dress up fat people and have them look neat, classy and elegant. It doesnt work.

When you are selling $5000-$10,000 tickets, impressions of class count in many parts of the world. So does attitude and a great smile. All but been abandoned in the US in the name of political correctness and not hurting anyones feelings. Not to mention the width of the average airline aisle is less than many peoples bottom in the US. Its ridiculous to employ people that cant walk down aisle without brushing every passenger. Its a job requirement.

I worked in france some years ago. First place it struck me how sad it was all american teenage girls were fat. Even the ones we think are normal. In france, they look like models. Long thin limbs like girls here look in the 1940s . I was walking down a street in downtown Marseille on day, behind a woman in a sundress and high heels. Slender calfs, shapely body, hair down to waist. I though, this is a hot woman. When I saw her face she was at least 65. Returning to US, I was appalled at how obese everyone was. Just the same I was glad to have access to food between meals again.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-23-2016 at 19:34.

Where are the moderators when you need them?
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

"Here"s the thing. In some jobs looks and impressions are part of what a company offers."

Salty Sack -- That's the rationale that many stores and banks in the U.S. offered back in the 1950s and early 1960s for refusing to hire Blacks to work in customer service jobs. "The sky will fall!", they said. "Our White customers won't like it". Then in 1964 the law changed and much discrimination ended. Enforcement of the 1964 Civil Rights Act also eventually forced airlines to stop refusing to hire men as flight attendants. And, it required them to abandon some some age and physical requirements that they were imposing on "stewardesses". Not permitting employment discrimination matters. It's not about "political correctness".

Flight attendants' most important job duty is not to serve food, but to be able to quickly evacuate passengers from planes in emergency situations. So, at least in the U.S., to be employed all of them (including the female attendant whom you mentioned) have to demonstrate that they are physically capable of accomplishing that critical task.

At age 66 I recently retired. Throughout my schooling and work life I never felt that my career choices were limited because I am a man, nor have I ever felt that was objectified at work because of my gender or body shape. But, if I were a woman my experiences might have been different. From time to time threads are posted here asking, "Why don't more women hike the AT?" Discussions then ensue about women becoming "creeped out" by the behaviors of some men that they encounter on the trail. If I were a woman, I might find this thread's recent drift unsettling.

Women notice how attractive (or not) particular men are, but they manage to do so without conveying disrespect for males who happen to be overweight, aging, or plain looking. And, many men have learned to act respectfully towards women. At crowded campsites and AT shelters civility matters and exercising some "sensitivity" to others' feelings can be helpful.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    "Here"s the thing. In some jobs looks and impressions are part of what a company offers."

Salty Sack -- That's the rationale that many stores and banks in the U.S. offered back in the 1950s and early 1960s for refusing to hire Blacks to work in customer service jobs. "The sky will fall!", they said. "Our White customers won't like it". Then in 1964 the law changed and much discrimination ended. Enforcement of the 1964 Civil Rights Act also eventually forced airlines to stop refusing to hire men as flight attendants. And, it required them to abandon some some age and physical requirements that they were imposing on "stewardesses". Not permitting employment discrimination matters. It's not about "political correctness".

Flight attendants' most important job duty is not to serve food, but to be able to quickly evacuate passengers from planes in emergency situations. So, at least in the U.S., to be employed all of them (including the female attendant whom you mentioned) have to demonstrate that they are physically capable of accomplishing that critical task.

Not US airlines. Other countries and cultures. Whatever you think about US laws, practices, and are used to, dont apply, especially to eastern cultures.

In china, flight attendants must be beautiful, single, under 25, no glasses, no scars or marks. There are restriction on ht, wt, shape. They are display pieces to represent the airline, and China, in addition to their real job functions. They are prestigious jobs.

You can dislike it, that doesnt change it. Stick your head back in sand and pretend US is center of world. It isnt anymore.

People prefer beautiful people. They feel better when they interact with them , which brings customers back. . I didnt make it that way. I just know its so, and its part of many business models.

This goes beyond looks. These people are polite, very serving, smile constantly, tend to your needs, address you by name Mr. X, . Its daylght and night compared to domestic airlines. Making you feel good IS their job.

flight attendants practice "graceful grin" and poise.:

30A7F46A00000578-0-image-a-1_1453975924546.jpg

Shenzen, known for pretty attendants:
    Note the two holding hands in pic..make a heart.

15052212144067.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-24-2016 at 17:54.

Too bad "Hooters Air" didn't make it!! ......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++