WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mother xxxxxxx Southwest Airlines!!!!!

Nothing like a text alert at 4:30 am saying your 9:00am flight is cancelled!!! No flights available for 2 days!!! Looks like this is turning into a September trip..I hope!!....months of planning out the window!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Horrible. In 10 years of flying SW airlines almost exclusively, I've never, ever had any problems with them. So sorry Salty! I wonder what the problem is with them on that flight? Can you drive to, say, Atlanta and fly from there instead?

On the bright side, September is a much better month out here anyway, seriously. We're right smack into the monsoons, my wife and I are taking a Colorado-break, hiking elsewhere for a while.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

They had a massive computer outage. Over 700 flights cancelled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Youngsters these days... Your hiking is far too reliant on technology.

As someone who loves to plan and has a spreadsheet for everything, I do feel your pain. Hopefully you can make another time work.

Did they compensate you for your trouble?

Journal Entries

Arent there other airlines?
    The show must go on, costs be damned

At least you got text. Showing up at airport would have sucked more .shift schedule 2 days and probably pick up $250 one way, then get sw to do your return.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-22-2016 at 09:45.

text at 4:30am (probably when they found out about the problem) is better than no text at all. excrement happens...

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Horrible. In 10 years of flying SW airlines almost exclusively, I've never, ever had any problems with them. So sorry Salty! I wonder what the problem is with them on that flight? Can you drive to, say, Atlanta and fly from there instead?

On the bright side, September is a much better month out here anyway, seriously. We're right smack into the monsoons, my wife and I are taking a Colorado-break, hiking elsewhere for a while.
    September it is...I'm over being mad! Only other flights out of Jax was $1,200.00!!!! Hotlanta is a 6 hr drive from here with my fairly tight schedule would have been difficult.....honestly I prefer cooler weather so sept was my first choice but with the wife and kids out of town this week I figured better take advantage!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    They had a massive computer outage. Over 700 flights cancelled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep I thought they had it fixed as was told yesterday by SW....ship happens....

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Youngsters these days... Your hiking is far too reliant on technology.

As someone who loves to plan and has a spreadsheet for everything, I do feel your pain. Hopefully you can make another time work.

Did they compensate you for your trouble?
    Young!! Ha 42.. Not hardly!!! No spread sheets or scales for me..just throw and go!!!!

Journal Entries

Problem happened wednesday. Still trickle down effects from rescheduling flights, and that planes and crews arent where they were supposed to be. Its not that easy to change employees schedules on spur of moment, they have families and obligations, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Arent there other airlines?
    The show must go on, costs be damned

At least you got text. Showing up at airport would have sucked more .shift schedule 2 days and probably pick up $250 one way, then get sw to do your return.
    I saw the text as I was on way to airport!!! Tried calling kept driving as was on hold the 45 min to airport,45 min in line at ticket counter and another 45 min ride home!! Still no luck....the web site says all flights booked till Monday...wife has commitments day after I return....September was my preference as I prefer cooler temps and less people, just hope I can swing it with kids and wife's schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Problem happened wednesday. Still trickle down effects from rescheduling flights, and that planes and crews arent where they were supposed to be. Its not that easy to change employees schedules on spur of moment, they have families and obligations, etc.
    Yea I totally understand but I called yesterday and was told not to be concerned.....

Journal Entries

Maybe get a dusting of the white fluffy stuff in sept.

Options for early sept I have Labor Day crowds and rental car rates higher vs later September less crowds higher snow chances...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Options for early sept I have Labor Day crowds and rental car rates higher vs later September less crowds higher snow chances...

Book just after labor day, perfect time. Snow should not be any problem, but no absolute guarantees, of course.

BTW, Denver airport a zoo today, I suppose playing ketchup. Off to AZ....

Images

Default Mother xxxxxxx Southwest Airlines!!!!!

Damn, I fly out to denver sept 7-13. Southwest too. Hope you get it all worked out.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not trying to get anywhere to hike, just trying to get home to Pittsburgh after business in CA. Delayed in Sacramento and now Las Vegas for crew. At least flights weren't cancelled like many others.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Sorry to hear about the issues. As Rob said, I've had nothing but good luck with SWA and their customer service. Even the best companies have glitches , though. (I know a bunch of IT monkeys are probably going to have polish up their resume I suspect! )

My own preference for Colorado hiking is the Fall as well. The wildflowers are stunning, but I've always had a soft spot for the majesty of fall.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Sorry to hear about the issues. As Rob said, I've had nothing but good luck with SWA and their customer service. Even the best companies have glitches , though. (I know a bunch of IT monkeys are probably going to have polish up their resume I suspect! )

My own preference for Colorado hiking is the Fall as well. The wildflowers are stunning, but I've always had a soft spot for the majesty of fall.
    I totally get it...no hard feelings with SW I've flew with them several times without issues... happens.....any idea when the elk rut in Co? Hunting season?

It's a 7.5 hour drive from Neptune Beach to Cohutta wilderness in Georgia. Who needs the stinking airlines? You could easily spend a full week backpacking the Cohutta/Big Frog area. Leave now and you'll be on the Conasauga Creek trail by morning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++