Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Wow, writing that is making me realize original plan is very unlikely because being in NW Cali in late November to December probably won't be too friendly weather wise. Thinking the Arizona Trail is actually becoming a major contender. I have all my resupply info for original plan already put together on a Google Sheet ..oh well. haha
    Great problems to have in life haha

Images

Again, bumping my initial response, why not just start in Yosemite and head south on the JMT/PCT ???? If the weather happens to be lousy right when you start, you can reconsider. But good chance you'll have reasonable weather and you can get through the Sierra before real winter hits, then you're "home free", well, better off anyway.

I cannot believe the AZ trail will be nearly as enjoyable, but I'm basing that on 2nd hand information.

I wrote about the same thing as Rob but it got lost in the inter web someplace.
    But. There's always a BUT, hey?
    Resupply and seasonal closing of remote tourist businesses. Coupled with the pesky bear can requirements.
    Since the good weather windows are about to slam shut for 2016, what happens if you wait for 2017?
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Again, bumping my initial response, why not just start in Yosemite and head south on the JMT/PCT ???? If the weather happens to be lousy right when you start, you can reconsider. But good chance you'll have reasonable weather and you can get through the Sierra before real winter hits, then you're "home free", well, better off anyway.

I cannot believe the AZ trail will be nearly as enjoyable, but I'm basing that on 2nd hand information.
    This is a good point. I guess I have dismissed this because I hold the assumption that the AZ Trail will be more beautiful, or the NM section of the CDT will be more beautiful. I may definitely be undermining the desert section of the PCT.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I wrote about the same thing as Rob but it got lost in the inter web someplace.
    But. There's always a BUT, hey?
    Resupply and seasonal closing of remote tourist businesses. Coupled with the pesky bear can requirements.
    Since the good weather windows are about to slam shut for 2016, what happens if you wait for 2017?
    Wayne

That is a good question. Waiting is tough because this I currently have a really specific slice of time where I am transitioning to do this. Basically, the time is now (or whenever I can actually just go do it).

Images

This is a good point. I guess I have dismissed this because I hold the assumption that the AZ Trail will be more beautiful, or the NM section of the CDT will be more beautiful. I may definitely be undermining the desert section of the PCT.
    I'm just of the opinion that the JMT portion through the Sierra is still doable in October, which blows away pretty much everything anywhere in terms of shear beauty.

Venchka makes a good point though about available resupply services... Are we sure every place is closed in late October (reds, VVR, Muir Ranch, etc)?

I'm just of the opinion that the JMT portion through the Sierra is still doable in October, which blows away pretty much everything anywhere in terms of shear beauty.

Venchka makes a good point though about available resupply services... Are we sure every place is closed in late October (reds, VVR, Muir Ranch, etc)?
    In my resupply research, much of them are based on weather and flexible. Reds is fine because I can just hitch its Mammoth Lakes.

In my resupply research, much of them are based on weather and flexible. Reds is fine because I can just hitch its Mammoth Lakes.
    Just emailed Muir Ranch too. VVR claims on their website the last day to pick up a resupply package is October 20th.

Just emailed Muir Ranch too. VVR claims on their website the last day to pick up a resupply package is October 20th.

It is interesting to play with the idea of just exploring much of the High Sierras in October on my own. Not many people. Won't worry too much about distance travelled. Then when the time comes I shoot south.

Muir Trail last resupply is September 17th.

Muir Trail last resupply is September 17th.
    Muir Ranch**

A bump to stay inspired and motivated.

Have you estimated your first food carry south of Yosemite? Or the longest section between food sources?
    Just curious. I'm too old to contemplate such things.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Have you estimated your first food carry south of Yosemite? Or the longest section between food sources?
    Just curious. I'm too old to contemplate such things.
    Wayne

Yes, and do to it being a large food carry I may consider hitching into Lone Pine, Bishop, Independence, etc... I am realizing that to fit anything over 7 days of food into a bear canister may be impossible.

due*******

Yes, and do to it being a large food carry I may consider hitching into Lone Pine, Bishop, Independence, etc... I am realizing that to fit anything over 7 days of food into a bear canister may be impossible.
    Depends on the food and the container. In theory, a Bearikade Expedition should hold more than 7 days + the first day that doesn't need to be in the can. Maybe someone with real world experience will shed light on the capacity of the Expedition.
    Meanwhile, I have what I believe to be a week's worth of food in a bag that is the same dimensions as the Ursack Major with lots of room leftover.
    Someday California may see the light.
    Wayne

Images

Depends on the food and the container. In theory, a Bearikade Expedition should hold more than 7 days + the first day that doesn't need to be in the can. Maybe someone with real world experience will shed light on the capacity of the Expedition.
    I can just fit 8 days in a "standard" 700 ci canister (which the Expedition is, right?), but it takes some dense packing skills... like you have to repackage freeze-dried meals (and lots of other items) in zip locks, etc. For reference, I carry about 1.75 pounds of food a day.

Plus, as Wayne says, your first day doesn't need to be in canister, so if you do it right you can carry 8 days, perhaps even 9 (or 10?) on each resupply leg. Come to think of it, my wife and I shared a canister on a 6-day sierra trip (1st day not in canister), meaning 10-people-days in a canister is possible. But really tight. And you have to pack the first couple of days properly right at the top of the canister, because you don't want to have to re-pack out in the field until you have some free volume.

I can just fit 8 days in a "standard" 700 ci canister (which the Expedition is, right?), but it takes some dense packing skills... like you have to repackage freeze-dried meals (and lots of other items) in zip locks, etc. For reference, I carry about 1.75 pounds of food a day.

Plus, as Wayne says, your first day doesn't need to be in canister, so if you do it right you can carry 8 days, perhaps even 9 (or 10?) on each resupply leg. Come to think of it, my wife and I shared a canister on a 6-day sierra trip (1st day not in canister), meaning 10-people-days in a canister is possible. But really tight. And you have to pack the first couple of days properly right at the top of the canister, because you don't want to have to re-pack out in the field until you have some free volume.
    Really useful and hard to find knowledge. Thank you. Resupply for me is up in the air considering I may be out there in October. I imagine if I depend on food at stores my ability to pack extra strategically a bear canister may decrease.

I am honestly nervous about being out there in October, but really want to be in the Sierras and NW Cali.

I can't post details for a couple of weeks , but it is possible to cram 9 nights of food into large bear cans.

You want want to choose your food carefully. For example, mac and cheese, with all the little air holes, is bad. Spaghetti is good.

Seven nights of (not too obsessively chosen) food in large can ---> image.jpeg

There are also bear boxes scattered in SEKI. It is possible to begin your hike so that you are camping near the boxes the first few nights. Warning: the bear boxes are not mouse proof and my sister lost a few meals on one trip.
    Last edited by DLP; 08-23-2016 at 14:36.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++