Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Oh please.
    I'm clueless about the GET. Perhaps Dogwood will shed some light on the trail.
    Google Colin Fletcher.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Haha, yes, please. Dogwood. We SUMMON YOU!

I did learn that the GET passes by the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument. If the trail is also following the CDT Gila River Alternate route you won't want to be wading the river in November.
    Something to investigate.
    Did you find Mr. Fletcher online?
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I did learn that the GET passes by the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument. If the trail is also following the CDT Gila River Alternate route you won't want to be wading the river in November.
    Something to investigate.
    Did you find Mr. Fletcher online?
    Wayne

Something to look into. I have so much new planning to do it is unreal. And fun.

I did look him up. Inspirational.

You could probably get his books from your library and/or inter library loan.
    Well worth reading.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Anticipate/plan for being out of the High Sierra by mid Oct latest knowing it will be cold(likely below freezing at night) with a rising risk of heavier(not melted away in a day or to, accumulating snow) deeper into Oct one goes. Sept into early Oct is my favorite time to be in the Sierra when prepared for the rising possibilities of cold and snow that doesn't quickly melt. Also, one must account for reduced services into Oct. WHY? They know when to close up shop because of rising risks of snow and cold.

BTW, late Sept through first 3 wks of Oct you should be encountering PCT SOBOers.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    Exactly what Rob said.

If I were to design a trip with TONS of diversity...

Take AMTRAK into Yosemite Valley and get a walk up permit for JMT.

After JMT, head up to Reno and do TRT. (If winter is late in coming).

Head out to coast and spend 3,4 or 5 days at Pt. Reyes. (You'll need reservations and Pt Reyes rangers are not very flexible at all ).
    Maybe a night on Angel Island in SF Bay. AI Rangers are more flexible and will give you group or ADA site, if available.

Head up North and explore Coastal trails and Redwoods and Big Foot.

This is all weather dependent, of course.

I just can't see a 1,000 solo thru from Mid October to mid December, for most anybody. You just don't have the skills nor equipment. But I CAN see an incredible couple months in CA, if you are willing to be flexible.
    There ya go. It's what I'm doing/did this summer and fall. If getting a late start which seems is what is happening with your agenda head to the OR and CA coasts. You can bag the Lost Coast Tr, some Redwood NP stuff, and some OR Coast Tr sites. You'll be by yourself getting the solitude you crave doing most of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Haha, yes, please. Dogwood. We SUMMON YOU!
    The Grand Enchantment Trail is not something I rec for you at this time with your quickly arising GO DATE although you can check at Blisterfree's GET site to check out the lower elev(western segments) involving portions of the Supertstitions and overlapping AZT and possibly CDT segments. In the end you have to pick a hike IF IF you're not going to let this hiking opp pass you by. Much good info and suggestions have been shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The Grand Enchantment Trail is not something I rec for you at this time with your quickly arising GO DATE although you can check at Blisterfree's GET site to check out the lower elev(western segments) involving portions of the Supertstitions and overlapping AZT and possibly CDT segments. In the end you have to pick a hike IF IF you're not going to let this hiking opp pass you by. Much good info and suggestions have been shared.

Good info. My go date may not actually be until mid-October, therefore I was thinking if I start now I can recalibrate and plan properly for AZ Trail and GET.

Maybe what was also being suggested was that the higher elevation on the eastern part of the GET would not be good come November/December. The elevation profile does get gnarly farther east you go on it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++