Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    holy
    smokes.
    Holy smokes WHAT? You'll be 4 weeks into your hike before that first date shown, hopefully you'll be through the Sierra and into lower ground in late October/early November.

I'd go with the layering thing, keep the flash jacket. I currently take a double-layer outer shell in "shoulder seasons" and a lighter down insulating layer than usual. My double layer outer shell is an OR Helium II jacket at 6.5 ounces, coupled with a Dri-Ducks (AKA Frogg Togg) UL rain jacket at 5.5 ounces, total of 12 ounces, the double layer traps an additional layer of air, and those two jackets over a UL down sweater/jacket (and below that, a microfleece over a smartwool base) makes for excellent warmth, down to well below freezing for camp. Very versatile having so many layers.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Holy smokes WHAT? You'll be 4 weeks into your hike before that first date shown, hopefully you'll be through the Sierra and into lower ground in late October/early November.

I'd go with the layering thing, keep the flash jacket. I currently take a double-layer outer shell in "shoulder seasons" and a lighter down insulating layer than usual. My double layer outer shell is an OR Helium II jacket at 6.5 ounces, coupled with a Dri-Ducks (AKA Frogg Togg) UL rain jacket at 5.5 ounces, total of 12 ounces, the double layer traps an additional layer of air, and those two jackets over a UL down sweater/jacket (and below that, a microfleece over a smartwool base) makes for excellent warmth, down to well below freezing for camp. Very versatile having so many layers.
    Holy smokes only at the potential later start date of into mid-October. Yeah, my gut instinct is layering also. Right now I have the Flash Hoody (3 oz 850 down) ... an Icebreaker Aero Half Zip long sleeve (90% merino/10% nylon) and a Feathered Friends Jackorack Windbreaker (3 oz and not too breathable I do not think). All I need to figure out is rain.

Remember. Median date that Tioga Rd, Sonora Pass, and Ebbit Pass close due to snow closures is Nov 10th or 12th. Of course, no way to predict THIS year. Northern CA may be a slow, freezing slog thru the snow or a snow free walk with 60 degree days. No way to tell.

I'm guessing/hoping you will have a blast in early October and get off trail when snow comes.

Oh! And lucky you will be out for hunting season!!!! Wear your orange blaze when you aren't in a National Park.

Really, there's no way you can't wait until next summer?!?!

Images

Holy smokes only at the potential later start date of into mid-October.
    I thought you already stated you were, in fact, starting something in mid October. That temperature chart's earliest date was November 11th, about 4 weeks into your hike. Assuming you're still interested in the Sierra, get started there, get as much done as you can before "winter" conditions hit, then in any case, heading into lower ground as fall progresses. If early "winter" sets up in mid-October, just head immediately lower and enjoy those parts. Seems so very simple, but I'll shut up now, in fact, I probably won't post any more on this thread for reasons stated earlier (over analysis of something very simple, IMHO).

Good luck in you endeavor! I might head out there myself in mid-late October to reconnoiter the Sierra High route which my wife and I want to do next late-summer/early fall, and just because I have a 10-14 day window and I love the Sierra in October and a bunch of Southwest miles to use up (free flights).

Peas!

If you leave Kennedy Meadow on October 20, you should hit the lower and warmer temperatures of Northern California to go skiing with me! Bring that 3 oz puffy! Tahoe November 24, 2015. A balmy 4 degrees!

image.jpeg

Okay. Enough from me, too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    If you leave Kennedy Meadow on October 20, you should hit the lower and warmer temperatures of Northern California to go skiing with me! Bring that 3 oz puffy! Tahoe November 24, 2015. A balmy 4 degrees!

image.jpeg

Okay. Enough from me, too.
    precisely why it is suggested he go southbound through the Sierra, NOT northbound. Starting at Yosemite, or even south of there and going south has a real good chance of getting through the high ground and on to much lower terrain before "winter".

Exactly what Rob said.

If I were to design a trip with TONS of diversity...

Take AMTRAK into Yosemite Valley and get a walk up permit for JMT.

After JMT, head up to Reno and do TRT. (If winter is late in coming).

Head out to coast and spend 3,4 or 5 days at Pt. Reyes. (You'll need reservations and Pt Reyes rangers are not very flexible at all ).
    Maybe a night on Angel Island in SF Bay. AI Rangers are more flexible and will give you group or ADA site, if available.

Head up North and explore Coastal trails and Redwoods and Big Foot.

This is all weather dependent, of course.

I just can't see a 1,000 solo thru from Mid October to mid December, for most anybody. You just don't have the skills nor equipment. But I CAN see an incredible couple months in CA, if you are willing to be flexible.

And throw in a trip to Death Valley, before coming out to the coast.

And you didn't even mention the other two National Parks south of Yosemite.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Yeah, a lot to think about still. But, if I pull off the 1000 solo that would be nice.

I am not necessarily seeking pleasure out there, nor anything, but to just walk.

It might be nice to have trail under your feet, water to drink and a reasonable shot at "1000 solo".
    When Mr. Fletcher embarked upon his 1,000 Mile Summer, he had pieced together a route, cached supplies and most definitely hiked solo. Actually, the whole undertaking was done solo. No internet required.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    It might be nice to have trail under your feet, water to drink and a reasonable shot at "1000 solo".
    When Mr. Fletcher embarked upon his 1,000 Mile Summer, he had pieced together a route, cached supplies and most definitely hiked solo. Actually, the whole undertaking was done solo. No internet required.
    Wayne

Not sure who Mr. Fletcher is. But yeah, I think for a first time hiker a reliable trail and water sources will be helpful. I do think, based on how the Arizona Trail has developed, that it would provide me reliable trail. Also, in their summer newsletter they had a feature on a trail angel. The force seems to be strong out there. Pretty sure the AZ is my official backup plan now. I looked at the Grand Enchantment and it just seems like a lot of logistical work.

Just to note I do have experience travelling solo (biking South Georgia, backpacking San Fran, few days in Barcelona, and Central Turkey)... So that solo compass within is strong haha. But, I do lack the hiking experience, hence my activity on WB to the lead up of the first step on the trail.

My first "solo" hike was on the TRT. I saw 35 people a day. I was so not alone!

Another option: All of the trailhead parking lots in SEKI and Yosemite are ringed with bear boxes. It is often logistically easier to leave X number of days resupply (mouse proofed, labeled, etc) in a bear box in the parking lot. Go out and explore for 10 days and come back get your resupply and go back out (weather permitting) and explore in another direction.

But it seems like you are committed to some sort of thru. Best wishes!
    Last edited by DLP; 08-25-2016 at 18:40.

Thank you!

The more I put thought into it the more I am realizing the desert is the better fit for me considering the circumstances I really am still not sure when I can actually get out there. As things come down to the wire it is actually feeling stressful, almost like I have to get out to the Sierras before this specific date. An unnecessary pressure.

In doing the desert I won't have to race out to the trail prematurely. I won't have to worry about as much high elevation during winter conditions as I would the Sierras. I will have more daylight as I hike with autumn. I won't be so reliant on long hitches into town where I would probably end up spending more time than I'd like in town.

I've been researching this: AZT SOBO starting from Page, AZ (or honestly just the Grand Canyon if logistically and financially it is better)...then switching over to the Grand Enchantment Trail SE of Phoenix and taking it all the way to Albuquerque. It comes out to over 1k miles (parts of the AZT and GET do overlap). This would definitely fulfill my original goal of sixty days.

The main issues would be water and navigation on the GET (the AZ trail released a GPS app last year similar to ones used on the PCT, etc..). I won't rely on the GPS app, but will be comforted in knowing it's in my arsenal.

I am directing this towards Colorado Rob and Venchka since they have been wisely presenting the desert to me so consistently since the start of this thread.

What are the hazards of being out in AZ and NM, say as late into December? I am thinking one hazard would be being on some of the higher passes of 10k feet in NM.

Thank you everybody!

oh, and p.s.

My mind became so attached to the mountains and the original plan that I overlooked the beauty of AZ and NM. It looks sick out there.

oh, and p.s.

AZ and NM. It looks sick out there.
    Oh please.
    I'm clueless about the GET. Perhaps Dogwood will shed some light on the trail.
    Google Colin Fletcher.
    Wayne

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++