WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Open Spot Camping AUG 4-12?

Hey guys, I've decided last minute to flip and am now off the trail and looking to get back on ASAP. I live in NH so can get a ride to Baxter but I've called and they do not have any open camping spots at Abol or KSC for the days I'm looking at.

I was wondering if anyone out there has a reserved spot with space available for me to stay. I, of course, would be willing to split the costs. I talked with both Baxter and the AT Lodge and it seems the best option is to find someone with an open spot. I figured white blaze would be the place to check as I think I've seen these requests before on here.

Please help out an attempting thru-hiker! Also, if anyone else has any alternative options, feel free to suggest.

Thanks, Dexter (NOBO turned FLIP-Flopper)

P.S. Really confused as to which section this should be posted in. I hope This post sees enough traffic.

Journal Entries

You can stay at the AT lodge the night after you summit, as well as before, and you dont even need to stay at BSP

Unless AT lodge is booked. You might be able to stay somewhere else , and theres other shuttles too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-30-2016 at 10:02.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You can stay at the AT lodge the night after you summit, as well as before, and you dont even need to stay at BSP

Unless AT lodge is booked. You might be able to stay somewhere else , and theres other shuttles too.
    i suppose that should work. i talked with the at lodge and they seemed hesitant to offer a shuttle back after the climb due to not being able to comminicate unless with a ranger. ill call around to see options with shuttles.

thank you muddy,
    dexter

Images

The town of Millinocket is not large and the AT Lodge is your best bet (and likely least expensive option) for a shuttle. A taxi (Bull Moose Taxi) would likely be a lot more expensive and would also incur the same issue of pick-up time after your climb. You might try setting a time of 7pm (it takes an average of 8-12 hours for people to climb Katahdin) for the shuttle to meet you at Katahdin Stream Campground. If you are early in getting back to the campground (from your hike) you can always hang out at the picnic area.

Or, you can get a shuttle to Katahdin Stream Campground and then try and hitch to Millinocket. It's a busy time of year and lots of people are making the drive back through Millinocket every day. Or, you can hike out of the park....

++ New Posts ++