WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking in the Wadi Qelt - Israel

I live in Jericho about 5 miles from the Dead Sea. I've been day-hiking 3-4 times per week lately. Today, I did what I consider to be the best summertime day hike ever! I left Ein Mabua with 3 college-age kids at 6:30 this morning and we hiked about 6 hours to Ein Prat (photos and description). What made this hike so awesome? 1. It is extremely likely that Jesus and the disciples walked along these same paths. 2. It follows a stream of nice cool water with nice swimming holes about every half-hour or so (which we used). 3. Lots of awesome caves and big rocks to climb. 4. Very challenging. The hike out of the wadi (valley) to the top was about 800 feet up in full sun and pretty steep.

As we hiked along, we had to cross the stream dozens of times, so our feet basically stayed wet. When we came to a swimming hole, I'd just drop my pack, take off my hat and glasses, and jump in shoes and all. Pretty handy when it's over 100 degrees out. Then we'd hike for another half-hour or so and do it again. Israel is a hiking paradise...trails everywhere. If you ever get a chance, this is a great place for hiking.
    IMG_1224.JPG
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Journal Entries

Ill be at dead sea in 2 weeks. Jordan side though. Been wanting to see Jericho, never made it there yet. can see it from hotel, just a few miles away. Theres some really great stuff in the area. Desert on top, but rivers run in wadis draining into dead sea and create siqs.

Speaking of Jesus, heres the bethany site in Jordan where John the baptist baptized people, and would have baptized Jesus. The place where christianity began. Jordan river no longer flows thru it as course shifted. Remains of ancient churches destroyed by earthquakes and floods.

SAM_0251.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-30-2016 at 15:46.

Beautiful. I love Jordan. Went to Petra at the end of June. It was really amazing. Have also been to Aqaba on the Red Sea, and of course Amman.

I've grown really fond of hiking the wadis. If you ever make it to (or near) Jericho, I can give you some good info on places to hike.

On the Israel side of the Jordan River, there are a couple of baptismal sites that commemorate Jesus' baptism. They are both totally different but I like them both.

Enjoy your trip!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Beautiful. I love Jordan. Went to Petra at the end of June. It was really amazing. Have also been to Aqaba on the Red Sea, and of course Amman.

I've grown really fond of hiking the wadis. If you ever make it to (or near) Jericho, I can give you some good info on places to hike.

On the Israel side of the Jordan River, there are a couple of baptismal sites that commemorate Jesus' baptism. They are both totally different but I like them both.

Enjoy your trip!
    At the jordan river , you have a thatched roof shade platform on the Jordan side.
    Israeli side is modern, concrete and glass, with steps down into water, soldiers with guns

Theres a whole bunch of old churches in the demilitarized zone on Jordan side that cant go to , cause its still landmined.

Bit of a shame, Jordan river used to be 60M wide there. Today its a stagnant slough 15 m wide that doesnt seem to flow at all, all the water siphoned off upstream for people and agriculture. Its the main reason dead sea is dropping 1m per year.

Whats really incredible is in early 1900s amman was 10,000 people. Today its ~7 million. Many came from palestinian territory.

Whole area is extremely historic, human habitation from cavemen to present, and the holy lands as well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-31-2016 at 13:28.

I hiked a wadi somewhere between Tel Aviv and the Dead Sea... can't recall the name, but it was a zillion years ago with my cousin, who's now deceased. What I remember is having to swim across some pools of stagnant icky water. One of those pools had a dead pig floating in it. Easy to see how animals might fall in and never escape.

When we got down to the Dead Sea the water there was anything but refreshing... couldn't wait to get back to the city and clean up.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    When we got down to the Dead Sea the water there was anything but refreshing... couldn't wait to get back to the city and clean up.
    Hey now, people pay good money to rub mud on themselves and float in the sea.
    German health insurance even pays for a trip there per year or such if you have psoriasis I was told.

And its fun, for a little while.
    Till body parts start to burn.

Yeah, the Dead Sea is fun to get in. Once. It's hilarious how people think it is so healthy. Uh yeah, if you like bathing in agricultural runoff.

Journal Entries

Yeah, the Dead Sea is fun to get in. Once. It's hilarious how people think it is so healthy. Uh yeah, if you like bathing in agricultural runoff.
    For the locals, yeah, there isnt much else to do so I can understand inflating it a bit. In Jordan they park along highway on weekend evenings, watch sunset, barbecue, smoke hubbly bubbly.

Europeans and others....not so much...they can go anywhere.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-31-2016 at 13:54.

On the Israel side, there are some pretty nice places to go that are on the Dead Sea. I like hanging by the swimming pool, overlooking the Dead Sea. It is nice to look at.

Funny hearing someone else that knows about hubbly bubbly.

Journal Entries

On the Israel side, there are some pretty nice places to go that are on the Dead Sea. I like hanging by the swimming pool, overlooking the Dead Sea. It is nice to look at.

Funny hearing someone else that knows about hubbly bubbly.
    Well the weather is fantastic, and hanging out by fresh water pool is nice for sure.
    Wallowing it in salty mud....then floating in 30% salt water for 30 minutes till your arse burns...not so much.

At least in Jordan, its the flies I hate the most. September they are really bad because they put manure on the fields.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-31-2016 at 14:18.

We went to Jerusalem today. After touring the Temple Mount, we walked over to the City of David and walked in the water through Hezekiah's tunnel (https://youtu.be/RI3t80ZSg6M). I'm not much of a cave/tunnel kind of guy, but this was pretty cool. I was nervous, even though there was no logical reason to be. Just not a fan of enclosed spaces. Glad I did it though.

Been travelling the Holy Land in the mid-80ties, while basically by motorcycle, I did a good share of desert hikes too.
    Remember the Kidron wadi, which runs from Jerusalem down to the Dead Sea, and of course the famous Nachal Arugot and Nachal David, amongst many others.
    Love Israel, and it basically brought me to my big love of desert hiking.

During my last stay in Sinai last year, I had long discussions with an Israeli adventurer who stated, that many of the open waters in Israel are so badly polluted that its life threatening to get into it.

I live in Jericho about 5 miles from the Dead Sea. I've been day-hiking 3-4 times per week lately. Today, I did what I consider to be the best summertime day hike ever! I left Ein Mabua with 3 college-age kids at 6:30 this morning and we hiked about 6 hours to Ein Prat (photos and description). What made this hike so awesome? 1. It is extremely likely that Jesus and the disciples walked along these same paths. 2. It follows a stream of nice cool water with nice swimming holes about every half-hour or so (which we used). 3. Lots of awesome caves and big rocks to climb. 4. Very challenging. The hike out of the wadi (valley) to the top was about 800 feet up in full sun and pretty steep.

As we hiked along, we had to cross the stream dozens of times, so our feet basically stayed wet. When we came to a swimming hole, I'd just drop my pack, take off my hat and glasses, and jump in shoes and all. Pretty handy when it's over 100 degrees out. Then we'd hike for another half-hour or so and do it again. Israel is a hiking paradise...trails everywhere. If you ever get a chance, this is a great place for hiking.
    IMG_1224.JPG
    Have you hiked the Masada "snake path?" I climbed up the Roman Ramp, then hiked down the "snake path." It is something everyone should do once.
    Shutterbug

i've been to Masada, but I cheated and took the cable car. I do want to go back and hike it pre-sunrise.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Have you hiked the Masada "snake path?" I climbed up the Roman Ramp, then hiked down the "snake path." It is something everyone should do once.
    That's one thing I'd love to do in my life.

One of my dearest friends is Israeli. By coincidence, he has a fellowship in Israel next year. Not only a wonderful academic opportunity for him..but a great way for his children to see part of their heritage for a year or so.

He gave me an open invite to visit him next year. I'd be foolish to NOT take advantage of that invite.

And seeing Masada is very high on the list...among many other places.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++