WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tick situation

Default Tick situation

How are the ticks on the trail this year? I have been hiking the last 3 years, but have not made it out this year yet. Been section hiking NOBO, would be starting from NOC in October. I am terrified of Lyme and other tick borne diseases. They are the only thing that keeps me awake at night.

DEET is your friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

Can't report on the ticks, but clothing treated with Permethrin has been show to work well.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Down south on the Georgia trail the ticks have been the worst we've seen. Be careful and check yourself often. Although the predominence of Lyme Disease historically is passed on by ticks further north of here - THAT IS CHANGING. Numerous reports are being made of Lyme being transmitted on the southern trail now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    Down south on the Georgia trail the ticks have been the worst we've seen. Be careful and check yourself often. Although the predominence of Lyme Disease historically is passed on by ticks further north of here - THAT IS CHANGING. Numerous reports are being made of Lyme being transmitted on the southern trail now.
    The chances of any given tick having Lyme varies significantly depending on where you are. Some rural areas show far higher Lyme cases than others. So is anyone aware of a good source of data? It would be nice to see a heat map of Lyme from ticks that have been tested in different areas.

Im probably asking too much. That would actually be a useful ongoing government study.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Can't report on the ticks, but clothing treated with Permethrin has been show to work well.
    Agreed, I had my shirt, hiking shorts and hat prefessionally permethrin treated by insect shield this year and haven't seen a tick on me since (I usually average 6-12 tick bites a year). At $10 per piece of clothing I think it's a bargain.

http://www.insectshield.com/mobile/P...?ProductId=338
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    The chances of any given tick having Lyme varies significantly depending on where you are. Some rural areas show far higher Lyme cases than others. So is anyone aware of a good source of data? It would be nice to see a heat map of Lyme from ticks that have been tested in different areas.

Im probably asking too much. That would actually be a useful ongoing government study.
    I heard they tried to make a heat map a while back, but the colors kept shifting to form the words "STAY OUT OF CONNECTICUT!"
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Year over year it's going to be similar or likely getting worse... google "Lyme disease map" and you'll get about 2,460,000 hits. This CDC Map shows actual reported cases. Use permethrin on clothes and Deet and you'll be fine. I also use Vectra for my dog and he hasn't gotten Lyme disease... just had his vet check-up and labs last week.

Images

I was hiking in N VA in June and was sitting at a shelter talking to other hikers and they kept finding ticks on their legs, but I never had one. I had sprayed by boots, socks, and pants with Permethrin before I left so maybe that was my shield. I also sprayed it on the door of my tent because I've seen ticks crawling on the netting before.

Quote Originally Posted by mateozzz View Post
    I was hiking in N VA in June and was sitting at a shelter talking to other hikers and they kept finding ticks on their legs, but I never had one. I had sprayed by boots, socks, and pants with Permethrin before I left so maybe that was my shield. I also sprayed it on the door of my tent because I've seen ticks crawling on the netting before.
    We own some property that is a mixture of woods, fields, and ticks. I do a little work out there a few days a month. Permethrin does the job. Without it you will find ticks on you if you brush up against tall grass. Avoid grass like the plague. Do not sit in it as I have seen hikers do. Rodents run through the grass and the ticks crawl up the blades of grass waiting on another animal to brush against it. Parts of the trail that are overgrown with grass are tick traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Havent seen a tick me on me since i started treating my clothes.

++ New Posts ++