WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Seems like the OP could send some pictures to Hilleberg and verify that it is a legitimate tent or a fake

I reckon the floor might not be leaking at all. If it's pitched in a puddle of cold water and it's humid out, that's condensation.

Here's inside my Anjan last night after a short rain storm. Not a leak:

6C13DD27-91A6-479B-84E4-43FC854BC2CF_zps3fehrqqd.jpg

Since the outer tent doesn't come all the way to the ground on yellow label (3-season) tents, rain splashes onto the sides of the tent floor. This dampness, along with any passing breeze blowing into the bottom of the tent (as opposed to upper vents on a 4-season tent), combined with hot and humid conditions, made for fast formation of condensation inside the tent.

No tent floor can protect you from condensation if you camp in a cold puddle on a hot humid day with nothing else in the tent.
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 08-14-2016 at 18:23.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    I reckon the floor might not be leaking at all. If it's pitched in a puddle of cold water and it's humid out, that's condensation.

Here's inside my Anjan last night after a short rain storm. Not a leak:

6C13DD27-91A6-479B-84E4-43FC854BC2CF_zps3fehrqqd.jpg
    Never had that with any Tarptent. Ever.

Anyway, that likely is condensation but that is because the shelter isn't well ventilated enough. Hilleberg makes the best 4 season tents. Still not impressed with any of their 3 season offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Never had that with any Tarptent. Ever.

Anyway, that likely is condensation but that is because the shelter isn't well ventilated enough. Hilleberg makes the best 4 season tents. Still not impressed with any of their 3 season offerings.
    I agree FamilyGuy - The Keron performs much better than the Anjan in these conditions. I ordered a Nallo to use instead of the Anjan for when I don't want the weight and bulk of the Keron. No upper ventilation on the Anjan makes it a lot less comfortable. The Keron is a wonderful tent in any/all conditions.

A bare tarptent floor will condense just as much in a cold puddle on a hot humid day though. And without edequate breeze, any tent will have condensation on the sides of the outer tent wall (or only if single wall).
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 08-14-2016 at 18:33.

Images

I agree FamilyGuy - The Keron performs much better than the Anjan in these conditions. I ordered a Nallo to use instead of the Anjan for when I don't want the weight and bulk of the Keron. No upper ventilation on the Anjan makes it a lot less comfortable. The Keron is a wonderful tent in any/all conditions.

A bare tarptent floor will condense just as much in a cold puddle on a hot humid day though. And without edequate breeze, any tent will have condensation on the sides of the outer tent wall (or only if single wall).
    I have never experienced that but perhaps.

I have used both the Soulo and the Nammatj in the ddep winter (I also had an Akto but had issues with snow load). They were quite brilliant.

Ok, it's been a while but wanted to close this topic with the proper ending.

About two months ago I want to my local shop and dropped the inner tent with the email from Hilleberg. In that email they stated a new bottom to be sown in would cost me 100 euro's.

So, Waited and today got a call. Apparantly the whole thing did fall under the factory guarantee and i got a brand spanking new inner tent. AND THE WHOLE THING AS FREE!

So, i'm going camping next week and will be dry. So happy! Kudos for Hilleberg for this perfect service!

Alex
    - normal is an illusion -

Quote Originally Posted by Blommetje View Post
    Ok, it's been a while but wanted to close this topic with the proper ending.

About two months ago I want to my local shop and dropped the inner tent with the email from Hilleberg. In that email they stated a new bottom to be sown in would cost me 100 euro's.

So, Waited and today got a call. Apparantly the whole thing did fall under the factory guarantee and i got a brand spanking new inner tent. AND THE WHOLE THING AS FREE!

So, i'm going camping next week and will be dry. So happy! Kudos for Hilleberg for this perfect service!

Alex
    Of course you'd get a free tent because I agree with Family Guy, you apparently had a Hilleberg-defective floor without the urethane coating and somehow it got sewn onto your flawed tent etc. HOW this happened is troubling and let's just hope your new tent doesn't have the same uncoated leaking floor. Are you going to do another backyard test and see if the new one leaks?

Well it's good they stood behind it, too bad most of the summer was lost as far as backpacking is concerned.

From a manufacturing quality control perspective, that's a big miss. Not familiar with Hilleberg tents, but I would assume upper tent body material got used as a floor.

Unlikely they'll come out publicly with the root cause. My guess is that this is not a single incident and there are probably more escapes.

There's also some indication on internet reviews and chatter that the zippers on some of their Yellow label tents are substandard and consistently break---with Hilleberg offering little redress or recalls or fixes. This is troublesome.

After a couple thousand nights with Hilleberg tents, I myself have never had a single zipper issue, but then I use black label tents almost exclusively.

LOL, upper material used as floor??? Hilleberg uses silnylon in red or green or sand for the upper, and thick, strong 70D PU-treated material in black fir the floor. Such a mistake is impossible.

It was never said how old this tent was. Since I last posted, I had Hilleberg replace a tent floor in a pre-2003 model Nallo I had which leaked through the floor. This is not a surprising issue for aged polyurethane fabric. The original fabric looked perfect but water came through everywhere.

There are cheap products to re-waterproof a tent floor as well as the upper. I opted for new fabric instead as I presume it will hold up longer.

To echo Tipi Walter's sentiment, I've spent about 125 nights in a Keron, Anjan, or vintage Nallo this year with my wife and two kids. All tents remain undamaged and looking like new. A claim I can make of no other tents I've tried. Speculatively criticizing something you don't have direct experience with is useless.

LOL, upper material used as floor??? Hilleberg uses silnylon in red or green or sand for the upper, and thick, strong 70D PU-treated material in black fir the floor. Such a mistake is impossible.

It was never said how old this tent was. Since I last posted, I had Hilleberg replace a tent floor in a pre-2003 model Nallo I had which leaked through the floor. This is not a surprising issue for aged polyurethane fabric. The original fabric looked perfect but water came through everywhere.

There are cheap products to re-waterproof a tent floor as well as the upper. I opted for new fabric instead as I presume it will hold up longer.

To echo Tipi Walter's sentiment, I've spent about 125 nights in a Keron, Anjan, or vintage Nallo this year with my wife and two kids. All tents remain undamaged and looking like new. A claim I can make of no other tents I've tried. Speculatively criticizing something you don't have direct experience with is useless.
    Deep breath, there that's better.

Maybe get a coloring book or some Play doh, find a safe zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Deep breath, there that's better.

Maybe get a coloring book or some Play doh, find a safe zone!
    Oh look, we have a real badass here!

On snow I have seen condensation on a Tarptent floor.
    Under my mat I would typically get a damp patch but not always, a mate of mine did get at times a largish wet patch.
    We swapped tents so it wasn't the tent and at times we both used the same type of mat (Exped 7)
    Possibly it was because he slept a lot warmer than me and was about 20 lbs heavier too.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++