WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bigfoot Trail: does anyone have any experience?

I plan to be doing about half of the Bigfoot Trail NOBO starting just south of the Russian Wilderness. I will be transferring over from the PCT where my last PCT resupply will be Castella, well probably Dunsmuir or Mt. Shasta so I can get some rest and recollect myself before this more intensive, less developed trail.

Here is a link to another thread that is relevant to the planned first part of my hike through the Sierras in September, possibly October if anyone is, of course, interested: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...ces?highlight=

I have been in a bit of sparse contact with the founder of the BFT, but when it comes to forums and others the first-hand experience there doesn't seem to be too much. I also am currently reading Conifer Country, which highlights the bio-diversity of the area. What a great book for anyone with an affinity towards trees and the natural world.

If anyone at all has any experience on this trail, or in NW Cali and the Klamath mountains in general, please feel free to share. I will be alone out there (if all goes to plan) in mid-October. Possibly later. Thank you! WB has been instrumental in keeping my motivation up as this goal of mine is constantly facing challenges.

Formally, I'm a Landscape Architect and Horticulturalist but at heart I'm a tree hugger and plant geek. I got lots of exposure to new plantings including some larger trees, largest in the state of Oregon, on the Oregon Coast Tr. In Port Orford until tomorrow. Only about 4-5 days until I'm done with the OCT. As great as the OCT has been looking forward to the PCT NOBO from Crater Lake NP and the Umpqua River Tr WEBO to Roseburg. I need a change from the wind and sand.

I considered picking up the BFT in Crescent City Cali at the completion of the OCT(it ends near Crescent City). As said, and I'll strongly repeat, for the BFT I would definitely have the BFT trail description of the BFT Guidebook and have the Wilderness Area maps that cover the trail or segments of the trail(ROUTE?) that will be traveled. This is often a remote hike on little used trail, not always seeing much maintenance. I would know how to navigate either through map & compass and /or GPS. I expect you're seeking to pick up the BFT somewhere near Seiad Valley? I'll tell you unequivocally the PCT segment of the BFT will be a navigating luxury compared to some other parts of the BFT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Formally, I'm a Landscape Architect and Horticulturalist but at heart I'm a tree hugger and plant geek. I got lots of exposure to new plantings including some larger trees, largest in the state of Oregon, on the Oregon Coast Tr. In Port Orford until tomorrow. Only about 4-5 days until I'm done with the OCT. As great as the OCT has been looking forward to the PCT NOBO from Crater Lake NP and the Umpqua River Tr WEBO to Roseburg. I need a change from the wind and sand.

I considered picking up the BFT in Crescent City Cali at the completion of the OCT(it ends near Crescent City). As said, and I'll strongly repeat, for the BFT I would definitely have the BFT trail description of the BFT Guidebook and have the Wilderness Area maps that cover the trail or segments of the trail(ROUTE?) that will be traveled. This is often a remote hike on little used trail, not always seeing much maintenance. I would know how to navigate either through map & compass and /or GPS. I expect you're seeking to pick up the BFT somewhere near Seiad Valley? I'll tell you unequivocally the PCT segment of the BFT will be a navigating luxury compared to some other parts of the BFT!!!
    That's pretty cool man. I looked into Landscape Architecture and was a bit deterred by the potential of a lot of computer work. But maybe I was deterred too easily. Yeah, I'm sure the wind and sand has been effing relentless.

Yeah, I am taking the BFT very seriously considering the zero experience I have. The next month actually will more so be focused on GPS/Navigation skills seeing I have most of re-supply research, travel logistics to the trail, gear purchased, and nutrition planned. This weekend coming actually I am taking a 2 day, 1 night Survival Wilderness course with this dude: http://www.byronkernssurvival.com/About.html

Oh also, I think I am just going to carry a bear canister the whole hike. I have read on the BFT forum that out in the Siskiyou Wilderness (the second to last section) there have been a handful of bear encounters. They are a little less human familiar due to remoteness. Makes sense. I'll sleep better with the comfort of having all my food safely 50 ft or more from my tent every night, regardless of where I am.

I'll be picking up the BFT here. BFT access from PCT.jpg

Blue line is the shoot off on the BFT. I'll overlap the PCT once again around the Marble Wilderness and take it north through Seiad Valley where I'll say goodbye to it as the swing west begins.

Is anyone still more or less in charge of jump starting this trail idea? It only took me a few minutes to get knee deep in the "politics" of the trail.
    Dogwood is right. I think that you will be making this hike up as you go.
    Sage Clegg may be the best person to talk to.
    http://sageclegg.com/bigfoot-trail-preparation/
    Be safe and have fun.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

You may already be well aware of this but I thought it was worth posting:

1) The Trail Show podcast did a segment on the BFT this spring, which can be found in the episode linked below:
    http://thetrailshow.podomatic.com/rss2.xml

2) Scott "Squatch" Herriot is hiking the entire Bigfoot Trail in sections this year and making a documentary about it. His site is http://squatchfilms.com as well as squatchfilms.com on facebook. If couldn't hurt to reach out to see if he could post nt you in the direction of the resources he used to plan the trip.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Like most of California, I reckon water sources, distance between sources, etc. would be vital information.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

...are bear canisters Bigfoot proof? just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...are bear canisters Bigfoot proof? just curious.
    U R so bad.
    Definitely not Bigfoot proof.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    You may already be well aware of this but I thought it was worth posting:

1) The Trail Show podcast did a segment on the BFT this spring, which can be found in the episode linked below:
    http://thetrailshow.podomatic.com/rss2.xml

2) Scott "Squatch" Herriot is hiking the entire Bigfoot Trail in sections this year and making a documentary about it. His site is http://squatchfilms.com
    as well as squatchfilms.com on facebook. If couldn't hurt to reach out to see if he could post nt you in the direction of the resources he used to plan the trip.
    Thank you, I am not aware of the first item. Gonna def check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Is anyone still more or less in charge of jump starting this trail idea? It only took me a few minutes to get knee deep in the "politics" of the trail.
    Dogwood is right. I think that you will be making this hike up as you go.
    Sage Clegg may be the best person to talk to.
    http://sageclegg.com/bigfoot-trail-preparation/
    Be safe and have fun.
    Wayne

Thank you, she probably has the most extensive feedback of the BFT I have come across so far.

Journal Entries

So just curious is the trail named BFT because people have encountered bigfoots on it?
    2016 FlipFlop. GA>WV>ME>WV
    Hiking with DSLR photos at www.instagram.com/jackjoneshg
    Blog at www.thejourney.co

Quote Originally Posted by SGTJones View Post
    So just curious is the trail named BFT because people have encountered bigfoots on it?
    Well, apparently this is the area where the myth (or perhaps who knows, reality) of Bigfoot resides. But the founder of the trail said he named it that after much consideration just because it was catchier, had a nicer ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Well, apparently this is the area where the myth (or perhaps who knows, reality) of Bigfoot resides. But the founder of the trail said he named it that after much consideration just because it was catchier, had a nicer ring to it.
    An actual appropriate name would probably go along the lines of "Botany Lover's Paradise Trail" or something like that haha. Actually it would've been cool if it was named the "Serpentine Trail" because the serpentine soil derived from ultramafic rock is what gives parts of the trail such extravagant bio-diversity. It should be noted I still have not actually ever been there. My knowledge is had from the confines of a cottage in front of a computer dreaming about this on the Eastcoast.

BFT takes on it's character also as a conifer tree lover's hike. Hence,

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    BFT takes on it's character also as a conifer tree lover's hike. Hence,
    Precisely, man I hope I can get out there before winter.

The place isn't going anywhere. Everything will be waiting for you whenever you get there.
    Wayne

The place isn't going anywhere. Everything will be waiting for you whenever you get there.
    Wayne

Wise ...........

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Wayne

Every year I tell myself that and every year I am more convinced that it's my knees that won't be waiting for me when I finaly get there...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

LOL! Ain't it the truth. This time next month I'll know if my old bones have any miles left in them.
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++