WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I just bought some pretty nice shoes. I didn't buy them for the AT ... I just wanted them. I think they would be too cold most of the time, but a great summer shoe! "Five Fingers" by Vibram. They really do feel like you're barefoot, however, they are pretty pricey. So far I love them! Check them out guys and see what you think!
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

I use crocs and love them...have 3 pairs...1 for backpacking, 1 for down time at work and 1 for home.
    I did try very light moccosins in the past and they worked great also.

geek

In the past, old running shoes (past their prime, but still in one piece) worked best for me. If I got blisters I could hike in them, they didn't come off in mud or fast water stream crossings, they dried quickly, and, of course, I KNEW that they would fit well.
    Section hiking for 20+ years has shown me that, as long as I have light, quick drying footwear, I really don't need camp shoes. I just wring out my wet socks, wear them around camp, and change into dry ones for bed.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Crocs. I resisted them for a while relying on my old tevas. Then I folded like a cheap table when I tried them. I hang them on my pack with a caribiner for water crossings. A comfy campsite shoe. A nice break for my boots which need the break. Boots are comfortable, but I have sweaty feet...embarrassing, and those boots need a breather and so do my feet. ,Easy to slide into for those night bathroom trips. Expense? For the 29 bucks....they never wear out. Mine have been to Mexico, Katrina relief trip (why I bought them) two big hikes including AT and Grand Canyon, house shoes, yard shoes, gym shower shoes at at the gym , hotel rooms since I travel alot because of my employment, and they are still the same as the day I got them over two years ago. I am hard on foot wear too. With socks, they are pretty warm when the weather is cold. And they are lighter than my 90's era Teva's. Offer more support and comfort than a flip flop. So I consider that 29 bucks well spent.None of my other shoes that I wear daily last this long. And now that I have them, I am too cheap to try the Chaco's which folks are raving about also.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Camp Shoes?

I would think that if one's hiking footwear were sufficiently comfortable, then there would be no further need to carry the additional weight of some other footwear to use when one stopped for the night. For me, the time span between when I stop and I am in my bag is often far to short to ever consider changing my shoes!

Crumbsnatcher and Wakapak:

What model of Chacos do you have? There are a bazillion models, and I'm thinking of getting a pair that are suitable for actual trail mileage, not just camp shoes, and I'd appreciate your thoughts. Would they be suitable for walking through mud and slop?

Thanks.

I used to carry Chacos or Tevas as "camp shoes". That was before I became hooked on going light as possble. Now I carry Chaco Z1's for hiking, creek crossing,camp wear, shower shoes,town shoes, whatever. My feet have never felt so good! I wear Injinji toes socks in cooler weather with a Warmers 2mm Neoprene bootie in cold/wet weather.....I cannot believe I used to hike in boots (on established trails only)!
    Semper Fi

Cheap Payless Airwalks (read as knock-off Crocs). I hated the way they looked when wife and kids got theirs...I refused to even try them on for about a year. Finally did while I was waiting on my wife...OMG! They feel great! Now I wear them on every hike/campout/backpacking trip etc. I use a caribiner to clip them to the outside of the pack and throw them on when crossing streams and walk till feet are dry, then switch over to my boots. Nice change of pace for my feet.
    I've used them whilst canoing, rafting etc... and have never lost them off my feet. They are great for slipping them on for midnight runs to the nearest tree, etc.
    I still think they're ugly as sin though. Look like something Mickey Mouse would wear.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I am a crocs fan myself, I will buy a new pair right before I leave for the trail at the end of the month.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post

What model of Chacos do you have? There are a bazillion models, and I'm thinking of getting a pair that are suitable for actual trail mileage, not just camp shoes, and I'd appreciate your thoughts. Would they be suitable for walking through mud and slop?
    AMIGO,I'D HAVE TO CHECK TO REMEMBER WHAT THEY WERE CALLED. EVERY YEAR THEY ARE DIFFERENT NAMES. WHAT YOU WANT IS THE ONES WITHOUT THE BIG TOE LOOP. AND THE BOTTOMS THAT SAY VIBRAM ON THE BOTTOM. AND IN THE TREAD DEPARTMENT YOU WANT THE TIRE LOOKING TREAD. IF YOU WANT TAKE A FEW PHOTOS OF THE DIFFERENT ONES YOU LIKE AND POST A PHOTO AND I'LL ANSWER YOU. I DONT DO PUTORS VERY MUCH. COMPUTOR ILLITERATE! IF YOU HAVE DECENT STRENGTH IN THE ANKLES YOU WILL LOVE HIKING IN CHACOS. AND DONT LET PEOPLE TELL YOU YOU CANT DO BIG MILES IN SANDELS EITHER. I DO 30 AND 40 MILE DAYS IN THEM, THIS MAY OR NEXT MAY I'M DOING A 60-80 DAY THRUHIKE IN CHACOS... GOOD HIKING
    Thanks.

Thanks.
    AMIGO, MUD AND SLOP NO PROBLEM, I HIKE NAKED FOOT IN SANDEL OR I USE A COMBINATION OF SANDEL,SMARTWOOL SOCK, SEALSKINS, AND OUTDOOR RESEARCH LOW CUT GAITERS. ON COLD OR VERY WET DAYS. COMPLETELY DRY...

I have been using Tevas Hurricane II simple sandals and with my hiking soocks when its cold.....i have to admit that I havent tried the Crocks yet....look too much like cartoon shoes for me....but....

Default chacos and crocs oh my!

I love both my pink chacos and my pink crocs very much. Heck I wear both of them with socks in below 0* temps. When it comes to hiking I love my crocs as my "camp" shoe.. and depending on the trail and the distance there is nothing like hiking in my chacos.. So sadly I am torn for my thru on what to wear. ALthough the chacos weigh a bit much I still love them and can see myself happily hiking the trail in them...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns, and cities." Nessmuk, 1963

Has anyone ever tried indoor track shoes for camp shoes. Here is a site for shoes that weigh 7.8 ounces. http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/produ...49656/node--0/ I saw some that weighed 6 ounces. Just a thought.

Images

Thanks.
    Hey Amigo!

Like Crumb, i can't remember the exact model either, but like he said, the best ones for hiking are the ones without the big toe loop. I tried hiking in those type one day and it bothered me alot!! The ones without the toe, that do have the vibram soles as he says are the best for it. And mud, slop, rain and even light snow have been no problem for me!!!
    I felt like my ankles actually got stronger while hiking in them, and I didn't twist or turn them as much as I had in trailrunners or boots!!
    I did use socks with them, even in summer, because my feet were drying out big time and cracking alot, however i know others, including Crumb hiked withouth socks. So it's whatever works best for you!!
    Good luck trying them out if you do!! I think you'll love them!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Over Yonder View Post
    I love both my pink chacos and my pink crocs very much. Heck I wear both of them with socks in below 0* temps. When it comes to hiking I love my crocs as my "camp" shoe.. and depending on the trail and the distance there is nothing like hiking in my chacos.. So sadly I am torn for my thru on what to wear. ALthough the chacos weigh a bit much I still love them and can see myself happily hiking the trail in them...
    Over Yonder, I'd give a try in the Chacos if you like them already!! They don't weigh anymore than most boots or even some trailrunners, they probably weigh less actually!! And it will eliminate the need to carry something else as a camp shoe!!
    Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time out there!!

I found Chacos give me blisters in the forefoot area if I don't use socks with them. Also, I've found they are fine in mud and slop as long as you don't mind having the mud and slop drying on your feet... Which I do, so I don't hike in Chacos, but they are great river rafting shoes.

Sometimes I take Crocs as stream crossing and camp shoes, sometimes I do without camp shoes. It depends on the trip, the number of stream crossings, and the time of year. I do like that my socks will tend to dry out faster in camp if I wear my crocs than if I leave on hiking shoes (depending on weather of course).

Default Chaco surgery?

Has anyone done any surgery on there Chacos? I have one foot bigger than the other and one foot slips a little too much for serious hiking. I am thinking of cutting out the back strap, cut and restitch. However, I am a little worried it will not hold up.

Images

Default camp shoes

I have keen sandals, the original kind with the covered toe and a toggle on top to tighten them. They are a little expensive but they were a present! They are good for camp shoes and for stream crossings. They are very squashy inside, very comfy, and good with or without socks.

They are also good to put on for the drive home (I HATE driving in flip flops).
    "Dreamt last night I was climbing mountains
    Way beyond love’s fierce hold..."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
    Has anyone done any surgery on there Chacos? I have one foot bigger than the other and one foot slips a little too much for serious hiking. I am thinking of cutting out the back strap, cut and restitch. However, I am a little worried it will not hold up.
    no, can't say i've done any surgery on my Chacos Hotrod! your foot slips even with tightening the straps down good? Hmmm, not sure what to tell ya on this one....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++