WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default What happens when gear gets damaged on opening?

ZPacks just emailed me that they are not responsible for damage that occurs when a product they ship is opened. I cut a thin hole through the stuff sac while opening the end of a box that was thin and stuffed tight with a new pack inside the sac. I sent them a photo and asked them if they would send a new stuff sac for the brand new not cheap fiber sleeping bag. ZPacks stuff isn't cheap, but their packaging and customer satisfaction sure is.

I've been opening packages for years without complication. There are packaging engineers. Besides pointing out that packages can be insured, that many packages come with things inside the box to protect the shipped item, I also mentioned to the contact at ZPacks that I tought Moosejaw would probably make sure I was completely satisfied.

ZPack's first response was automated and said they would take a few days to get back to me. Now they say they will send me repair tape for the sac.

What do you think?

You should be happy they are sending you repair tape.

This reminds me of ordering a pair of Asolo Fugitive hiking boots from Amazon last week and the company sent me the boots in a box reading Size 10 Wide. Inside the box were a pair of Size 11 Wide. Boats! I emailed the company and told them maybe they should check not only the box label but what's inside the box before shipping. Amazon was cool and UPS came to the house to pick up the package for a refund and I ordered the boots from the Asolo website instead.

Regarding Lear's plight, well, there's no way I'd expect a product replacement for slicing a product myself by carelessly opening the box. A pure case of User error.

When I recieved my EE Accomplice in the mail, the box was bulging. I opened the packing tape with a spoon. No rips. Seemed like common sense to me.

Images

I see no issue with it. It was admittedly your fault. The cuben fiber repair tape will make it as good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    there's no way I'd expect a product replacement for slicing a product myself by carelessly opening the box. A pure case of User error.
    Plus one on this. In no way should the company be liable since you said you were the one who damaged it.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

I have ordered from Zpacks and have not had issues.

I am curious about something - Why would Zpacks need to insure packages in the event their customers wreck the product when they open the box? The vendor sent the product, the product arrived safe, and now it is in the customer's hands. At that point it becomes your responsibility.

Had the item been damaged during shipping or the wrong item been sent, I have no doubt Zpacks would have made things right.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder940 View Post
    I see no issue with it. It was admittedly your fault. The cuben fiber repair tape will make it as good as new.
    Yup............
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

My wife did the same thing. But it was a box for an inflatable bed!

Doh. I'll never let her live that one down.

Carl

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    Plus one on this. In no way should the company be liable since you said you were the one who damaged it.
    Plus two...
    I am not young enough to know everything.

"Man oh Man I just got in my new Cuben Fiber products form Zpacks, I am so excited!!...Uh oh I say to myself, this box looks FULL, I better take extra precaution in opening it, (Even if it is NOT lookin like an overly full box), this box has expensive STUFF in it...Better take my time opening it!

That would be like ordering a new Corvette, running it into the house backing it off the trailer, calling Chevrolet and saying "hey send me a new vette", the trailer you sent was too big for my driveway!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Default First time in my life I've ever damaged anything during opening of mail.

I don't think I will start opening all boxes with a spoon.

Like I say plenty of previous experience without incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Lear View Post
    I don't think I will start opening all boxes with a spoon.

Like I say plenty of previous experience without incident.
    A spoon full of opening, helps the damage, go down

I've seen boxes that had a warning, "Do not cut to open" on them, and considered them kind of insulting like the "Do not use hairdryer in water" warnings.

If you bought a new Vette they would never ask you to drive it off the truck. They would unpack it themselves, then let you look it over completely and then after you had inspected it, they would hand you the keys. And it would be insured during it's transport from the factory to the dealer.

Here are two direct quotes off the ZPACKS website:

If you are not completely satisfied you are welcome to send it back for an exchange or a full refund.

The only exception to our return policy is items which are specially made.

I emailed them that I was not completely satisfied with the way the product was packaged, and the sac wasn't specially made.

If you bought a new Vette they would never ask you to drive it off the truck. They would unpack it themselves, then let you look it over completely and then after you had inspected it, they would hand you the keys. And it would be insured during it's transport from the factory to the dealer.
    In theory- you got some sorta point and the customer is always right.

In practice- Zpacks is a little guy who would blow half his net profit doing anything further attempting to make up fer yer mistake.
    FYI- The package was delivered- USPS doesn't pay claims out unless the package is lost- and it is not easy or even guaranteed they get paid on a claim- which can take several hours to file.

In reality- http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/tape.shtml You're getting a product for free with free shipping.

Egible said it best-

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    You should be happy they are sending you repair tape.

Your right, let me put my point a little more bluntly, the point you are trying to make is dumb. Its your fault the product got damaged so deal with it. Your lucky they are sending you tape. Even if it were insured for $1000 the insurance is up to the point of it being successfully delivered, not successfully unpackaged by the buyer.

Here are two direct quotes off the ZPACKS website:
    If you are not completely satisfied you are welcome to send it back for an exchange or a full refund.
    The only exception to our return policy is items which are specially made.
    I emailed them that I was not completely satisfied with the way the product was packaged, and the sac wasn't specially made.
    Attachment 35655

And then..
    17mdrk.jpg

YOU DAMAGED THE PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THAT IS WHY YOU DONT LIKE IT BECAUSE YOU TORE IT UP!!!!!!!

And for good trolling measure, "Helen Keller could have opened that box better then you did".
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 08-02-2016 at 16:23.

Images

Then you should have bought the tent in person...

But, instead, you had it shipped to you where YOU did the damage...

and now you're whining in here about it and not convincing anyone that they should send you something new....

suck it up and learn from your mistake...

Journal Entries
    Images

Here's the more applicable scenario. They drove it off the truck, inspected it and handed you the keys. You drove it home, went to park it in the garage, and took out a side mirror with the door frame. Now you're asking for a new side mirror because they didn't teach you how to park before you left.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++