WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

you got a free lesson in the fragility of UL equipment if handled improperly. And you have some free tape to show for it

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with most other reply's on this thread , that if all companies were responsible for user error then there would be alot more bankrupt companies or prices would be so hign that only rich folks could afford there products.
    I myself have found that matt and joe and redbeard and the rest of the gang are all more than helpful in accommodating there customers and think there customer service ranks pretty high up there on the positive side as well as the products they make .
    I would consider it A kind jester of them even mailing you cuben tape for the repair they are not liable for in the first place.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lear View Post
    Here are two direct quotes off the ZPACKS website:

If you are not completely satisfied you are welcome to send it back for an exchange or a full refund.

The only exception to our return policy is items which are specially made.

I emailed them that I was not completely satisfied with the way the product was packaged, and the sac wasn't specially made.
    The product arrived perfectly fine and was packaged well enough that it did not get damaged in transit. IT WAS YOUR FAULT! Let it go and move on. You ever wonder why there are warning messages on coffee cups stating that "contents may be hot" ? If you don't....find a mirror in the house, stare into it and contemplate.

Journal Entries

Out of curiosity, how did you open package?
    How long of a knife did you use?

To open a box , all you do is cut visible tape at end of a box, where flap protects contents.
    You dont jam a blade inside.

yeah, if its a book you grab a kitchen knife and shove it in and cut the tape. Not with fragile contents.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-02-2016 at 20:12.

While I generally agree you are responsible. A vendor of expensive gear should package it so a normal person would not cut the gear. I am thinking you slit the tape along the side and along the top. Now if you used a box cutter and just cut all around the box then you have no one else to blame.

But if cut normally, then the vendor could have adequate cardboard flaps to completely cover the items, and also have stuffing on top of the items that would further protect the items. I don't recall how well their box was made for the one time I bought from them. It is surprising so many have said their boxes were overfull. That kind of indicates they are not taking adequate efforts to size the box and protect the contents.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    While I generally agree you are responsible. A vendor of expensive gear should package it so a normal person would not cut the gear. I am thinking you slit the tape along the side and along the top. Now if you used a box cutter and just cut all around the box then you have no one else to blame.

But if cut normally, then the vendor could have adequate cardboard flaps to completely cover the items, and also have stuffing on top of the items that would further protect the items. I don't recall how well their box was made for the one time I bought from them. It is surprising so many have said their boxes were overfull. That kind of indicates they are not taking adequate efforts to size the box and protect the contents.
    Maybe next time he'll take a box cutter to open up a package to a $700 down bag. Oops. I use a car key to run along the tape seam. I'm not sure the OP ever told us what he used, probably too embarrassed. But to open up a box of gear with a knife or razor blade is just not thinking clearly.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    I think the number of recipients doing this is likely fairly low,
    "Normal" is often defined as within two standard deviations of the mean in a normal distribution. Basically, 96% of people or so.

Here are two direct quotes off the ZPACKS website:

If you are not completely satisfied you are welcome to send it back for an exchange or a full refund.

The only exception to our return policy is items which are specially made.

I emailed them that I was not completely satisfied with the way the product was packaged, and the sac wasn't specially made.
    I doubt you would have gave the package a second thought if you didn't cut into the stuff sac. Looks like you're tying to have the company pay for your negligence. You can be the box whisperer, doesn't mean you're not going to have an accident once in a while.

Images

You can be the box whisperer

im been known to whisper a few boxes on a wild friday night................

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Maybe next time he'll take a box cutter to open up a package to a $700 down bag. Oops. I use a car key to run along the tape seam.
    But my last two cars didn't come with keys...

I'm assuming it's the stuff sack for the sleeping bag? Do you actually use it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zpacks is getting to be an awkward size. Really big for a cottage supplier, but not big enough to have in place some standard customer service systems. I've had mixed experiences with them. It can take them forever to get back to you via email, there is no way to call them, and you never know if you'll be inquiring when the one guy who knows the answer is out hiking. But, I have found that the wait and frustration is always worth it, as they have pretty much the best gear in the business. I don't think it is any bad intent on their part ... but it is true that their stuff is expensive so you tend to expect a certain level of service.

While I agree that this issue is the original poster's mistake, how great would it have been if Zpacks had sent him a new item? He probably would have posted here about how great Zpacks customer service is and we'd all be impressed.

So, yeah, Zpacks had no obligation to make him happy, but how great would it have been for them if they did?

If you bought a new Vette they would never ask you to drive it off the truck. They would unpack it themselves, then let you look it over completely and then after you had inspected it, they would hand you the keys. And it would be insured during it's transport from the factory to the dealer.
    No, the appropriate analogy would be you damaging your new vette driving it off the lot recklessly and then expecting the dealer to pay for the bodywork. You purchased a product and then damaged it through negligence; take responsibility for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    No, the appropriate analogy would be you damaging your new vette driving it off the lot recklessly and then expecting the dealer to pay for the bodywork. You purchased a product and then damaged it through negligence; take responsibility for it.
    Or this: They sell you the Vette and give you the car keys. You also have a crowbar handy. Instead of using the keys to open the locked door, you decide to pry it open with the crowbar. Oops. And then you run screaming to a salesman demanding to be compensated.

This is the best analogy I've seen in a while. Mind if I borrow the crowbar bit?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Or this: They sell you the Vette and give you the car keys. You also have a crowbar handy. Instead of using the keys to open the locked door, you decide to pry it open with the crowbar. Oops. And then you run screaming to a salesman demanding to be compensated.
    Well...in defense of the proud new Corvette owner, was there a warning label on the door stating the use of a crowbar could cause damage not covered by the manufacturer?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Well...in defense of the proud new Corvette owner, was there a warning label on the door stating the use of a crowbar could cause damage not covered by the manufacturer?
    Sadly, no. The only label was one that warned about using a screwdriver. So in fact the guy with the crowbar should sue.

Havent heard from the Ol;' OP in a bit, guess they got the hint...this belongs in the humor thread
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Havent heard from the Ol;' OP in a bit, guess they got the hint...this belongs in the humor thread
    Not surprising, ya'll have a way of running people off. Doesn't matter if the OP is right or wrong...y'all could have been more respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Not surprising, ya'll have a way of running people off. Doesn't matter if the OP is right or wrong...y'all could have been more respectful.
    But if the OP is wrong in our opinion, can we not use sarcasm to make our points? Disrespect happens with personal attacks---none of that here.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++