WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    But if the OP is wrong in our opinion, can we not use sarcasm to make our points.
    No. Not with new members who aren't used to the culture of WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Lear View Post
    Here are two direct quotes off the ZPACKS website:

If you are not completely satisfied you are welcome to send it back for an exchange or a full refund.

The only exception to our return policy is items which are specially made.

I emailed them that I was not completely satisfied with the way the product was packaged, and the sac wasn't specially made.
    you're a millennial aren't you? were you ever told you're a special snow flake?..

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    you're a millennial aren't you? were you ever told you're a special snow flake?..
    Be very careful, you're verging on the S word.

Whats the S word
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

He did ask what we thought.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm not uncomfortable with anything that was posted in reply to the original post. The OP was asking for input over an incident where he thought he was in the right. He was told quite tactfully but with a healthy dose of wit that he, in fact, was in the wrong. Nobody mollycoddled me when I came in here for the first time earlier this year. Nobody should expect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Not surprising, ya'll have a way of running people off. Doesn't matter if the OP is right or wrong...y'all could have been more respectful.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lear View Post
    Here are two direct quotes off the ZPACKS website:

If you are not completely satisfied you are welcome to send it back for an exchange or a full refund.

The only exception to our return policy is items which are specially made.

I emailed them that I was not completely satisfied with the way the product was packaged, and the sac wasn't specially made.
    I believe that it is somewhat implied that such a guarantee assume the product is still in resale able condition and hasn't been damaged by the user.

Change the situation a little bit...

You open the package, check out the sleeping bag, and it fits a little too tight for your comfort, so you decide to return it under the satisfaction policy. But while you're out of the room trying to fill out a return slip, you don't close the door tight behind you, your dog gets into the room, and chews a hole in the sleeping bag.

Can you still return the sleeping bag under the satisfaction policy?

I believe the answer most people would give is "No"... it sort of falls under that "you break it, you buy it" type of policies.

Having said that, I see nothing wrong with the idea of contacting a company with a complaint that you believe their packaging contributed to the goods getting damaged in the normal process of opening the package. Sounds like you're both somewhat at fault... with the majority of posters here in the form believing that you were mostly at fault.

So while it would have been nice if the company would have sent a full replacement, sounds like they have been more than fair in agreeing to send repair tape.

Images

Does ANYONE want to take responsibility for their own actions anymore???? Your fault.... live with it!
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post

Having said that, I see nothing wrong with the idea of contacting a company with a complaint that you believe their packaging contributed to the goods getting damaged in the normal process of opening the package.

So while it would have been nice if the company would have sent a full replacement, sounds like they have been more than fair in agreeing to send repair tape.
    Their packaging contributed to the goods getting damaged? No, it sounds like the packaging was perfect unless the stuff sack was partially out of the box upon arrival. Lear himself contributed to the goods getting damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Does ANYONE want to take responsibility for their own actions anymore???? Your fault.... live with it!
    In agreeable agreement. As mentioned, just be glad it wasn't a $700 down bag or a $600 Hilleberg tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Havent heard from the Ol;' OP in a bit, guess they got the hint...this belongs in the humor thread
    Indeed, I got a good laugh out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    Zpacks is getting to be an awkward size. Really big for a cottage supplier, but not big enough to have in place some standard customer service systems. I've had mixed experiences with them. It can take them forever to get back to you via email, there is no way to call them, and you never know if you'll be inquiring when the one guy who knows the answer is out hiking. But, I have found that the wait and frustration is always worth it, as they have pretty much the best gear in the business. I don't think it is any bad intent on their part ... but it is true that their stuff is expensive so you tend to expect a certain level of service.

While I agree that this issue is the original poster's mistake, how great would it have been if Zpacks had sent him a new item? He probably would have posted here about how great Zpacks customer service is and we'd all be impressed.

So, yeah, Zpacks had no obligation to make him happy, but how great would it have been for them if they did?
    I agree, there's always a awkward transition from founder to a professional management team as a company grows and expands. Zpacks has great stuff, expensive, but very functional and robust in many environments. They have set new standards for high performance, ultra light equipment. Their response to the OP's issue is reasonable in my eyes.

As an aside, Big Agnes ships their stuff with a separate piece of cardboard underneath the box seam in case someone uses a box knife. Takes a little extra labor, but mitigates Customer frustration.

FWIW, I was pricing the new Corvettes, pretty easy to get north of $120K, so not sure it's a good analogy.

Gotta kinda agree with traffic jam. While it may not be intentional some replies come off as mean and unhelpful. Im not just referring to this thread. IMHO you have to have a pretty thick skin to post on WB.

There is good advice here for sure but sometimes its hard wading through sarcastic or unhelpful replies.

I leave many threads unstarted and many replies unmade. I generally prefer to lurk.

In this threads defence the op damaged the item. Not the company's fault. If I were unpacking something that expensive id be very careful. Also regarding insurance if I understand correctly its up to the buyer to purchase insurance. Even then since he damagec the item....

And im sure someone will call out my spelling. Typing on a phone screen is not easy. I see I tapped the c instead of the d.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Their packaging contributed to the goods getting damaged? No, it sounds like the packaging was perfect unless the stuff sack was partially out of the box upon arrival. Lear himself contributed to the goods getting damaged.
    I'm not saying it was completely the manufacturer's fault. As Hosh points out, Big Agnes accounts for the fact that a lot of people open boxes with a knife and they add a little extra protection to avoid situations such as the OP has gotten himself into. But at the same time, the OP should have been more careful than it sounds like he was... so they were both partially at fault, with most of the fault being on the OP, hence the reason why I think the manufacturer's response was very reasonable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    ...FWIW, I was pricing the new Corvettes, pretty easy to get north of $120K, so not sure it's a good analogy.
    Everything is relative. I have an uncle for whom a $120,000 Corvette would probably have about the same budgetary impact as my purchase of a Zpacks product.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Everything is relative. I have an uncle for whom a $120,000 Corvette would probably have about the same budgetary impact as my purchase of a Zpacks product.

Ive seen pickup truck stickers over $80,000 lately.

i personally, will never buy another new vehicle.(last one I bought was 1995) Not because I cant afford it, I easily can. But because Im not stupid enough to. I wont do it on principle.

Theres fools without a pot to pee in, buying $1000 adidas tennis shoes today.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-04-2016 at 08:05.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    way to throw of other log on the fire...I was gettin' cold.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I'm not saying it was completely the manufacturer's fault. As Hosh points out, Big Agnes accounts for the fact that a lot of people open boxes with a knife and they add a little extra protection to avoid situations such as the OP has gotten himself into. But at the same time, the OP should have been more careful than it sounds like he was... so they were both partially at fault, with most of the fault being on the OP, hence the reason why I think the manufacturer's response was very reasonable.
    The company was not "partially at fault" for the customer's poor decision to us a sharp object to open a box containing an item vulnerable to sharp objects. It's common sense, but there is a reason why we see more and more "Don't try this at home" disclaimers on television these days.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++