WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Winter thru hike.

Does anyone know of anyone completing or attempting to they hike the LT in the winter? Or any info on it, I hike the white mountains year around and an avid winter hike/ice climber. Hiked the AT last year and leaving in April for the PCT but hiking the LT in October for a test run to the winter,
    Thanks!
    Styles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

That sounds really intriguing! I'll be following any responses. I'm attempting the LT in late September, way too early for such conditions, but I betcha my wife would love a winter attempt like this later (she retires in December, yay!)

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    That sounds really intriguing! I'll be following any responses. I'm attempting the LT in late September, way too early for such conditions, but I betcha my wife would love a winter attempt like this later (she retires in December, yay!)
    Sweet!! Yeah I'm hiking sobo starting the first of October, hopping to get some feedback on it, or would love to attempt it

Images

I might just lay down a nice, detailed GPS track on this September/October trip... might be useful on a winter attempt later. I suspect the LT will be difficult to follow in places in winter.

Tough call on what might be a better time for such an attempt. A late December start would probably have less snow to deal with, but much less daylight. Might not even need snowshoes then. A late February/early March start would have much more daylight, but probably lots of snow-swimming, and snow shoes required probably most of the way.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've winter hiked portions of the LT, and as the guidebook makes clear, the trail is not contsructed or maintained for winter use. I know it's been attempted, but not sure it's been done. Here are some of the key issues:

1) The trail is maintained to be a green tunnel 4 feet wide and 8 feet tall (that's the ideal, not always achievable), so imagine what the trail is like when there's 4 feet of snow on the ground... you have to duckwalk.

2) the white blazes are often under snow, or obstructed by wind-blown snow on the tree trunks, eitehr way, they are white

3) I almost forgot - the branches overhead, when weighed down with snow, can totally obstruct the trail. branches that break or trees that fall aren't going to be cleared until next May.

4) the rock scrambles become ice scrambles

5)even in low snow years, like last winter, all that flowing water that gives Vermont the nickname Vermud, can make the trail solid ice

And more. I'm not trying to be discouraging, just realistic. some of the trail is stunning in winter, but much of it becomes a royal PITA to travel on. count on 1 mile per hour as a good pace in good conditions. GPS would be helpful for those times when 1 through 4 make the trail impossible to follow. Of course, parts are well-traveled in winter and are like a snow highway - it's all the connecting parts in between that have not been travelled that get real tough.

Go for it, just be prepared to work your tail off. I can't fully describe how difficult physically it can be. And anytime after Thanksgiving is going to have enough snow to require snowshoes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I've winter hiked portions of the LT, and as the guidebook makes clear, the trail is not contsructed or maintained for winter use. I know it's been attempted, but not sure it's been done. Here are some of the key issues:

1) The trail is maintained to be a green tunnel 4 feet wide and 8 feet tall (that's the ideal, not always achievable), so imagine what the trail is like when there's 4 feet of snow on the ground... you have to duckwalk.

2) the white blazes are often under snow, or obstructed by wind-blown snow on the tree trunks, eitehr way, they are white

3) I almost forgot - the branches overhead, when weighed down with snow, can totally obstruct the trail. branches that break or trees that fall aren't going to be cleared until next May.

5)even in low snow years, like last winter, all that flowing water that gives Vermont the nickname Vermud, can make the trail solid ice

And more. I'm not trying to be discouraging, just realistic. some of the trail is stunning in winter, but much of it becomes a royal PITA to travel on. count on 1 mile per hour as a good pace in good conditions. GPS would be helpful for those times when 1 through 4 make the trail impossible to follow. Of course, parts are well-traveled in winter and are like a snow highway - it's all the connecting parts in between that have not been travelled that get real tough.

Go for it, just be prepared to work your tail off. I can't fully describe how difficult physically it can be. And anytime after Thanksgiving is going to have enough snow to require snowshoes.
    Thanks for all the good info! I'm 100% it's a real bear. Hence the appeal. I'm going to make copious notes, with an eye on what it would be like in winter, on my thru-attempt this fall.

Marine vet Thomas Gathman did it last year---

http://www.outsideonline.com/2052351...n-trail-winter

https://therealhikingviking.com/

He first pulled the Long Trail with a 60 lb pack in 9 days and then he started south from Maine. I kept up with his hike from December to January 16 when I lost interest due to his frequent town visits and occasional slackpacks. I know, it's butt cold up there in January. From the Outside article I expected a tough winter "expedition" style hike on the AT (less interrupted) and got a little misled.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post

Wow thanks for so much good info! Deff don't think it will be a walk in the park and ready for a challenge, I've never heard of anyone completing it yet in the winter months but really thinking of trying it after I take some notes for the northern section this October. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Marine vet Thomas Gathman did it last year---

http://www.outsideonline.com/2052351...n-trail-winter

https://therealhikingviking.com/

He first pulled the Long Trail with a 60 lb pack in 9 days and then he started south from Maine. I kept up with his hike from December to January 16 when I lost interest due to his frequent town visits and occasional slackpacks. I know, it's butt cold up there in January. From the Outside article I expected a tough winter "expedition" style hike on the AT (less interrupted) and got a little misled.
    Yeah I followed his whole journey, but he didn't hike the whole LT, just the portion that the AT shares with it, still awesome, he stayed with my friends that own the Notch Hostel in north Woodstock, I've done multi nights in the white mountains at 0 degrees, thanks for the info!

Well good luck. Last winter was an unusually low snow year and the AT segment of the LT is an order of magnitude easier then the northern end.

A much better plan would be to ski or snowshoe the Catamount trail, which parallels the LT at a lower elevation.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Well good luck. Last winter was an unusually low snow year and the AT segment of the LT is an order of magnitude easier then the northern end.

A much better plan would be to ski or snowshoe the Catamount trail, which parallels the LT at a lower elevation.
    I agree on the first part of this, southern portion is a lot easier, also it would be a better plan.. I guess haha but I rather take on a challenge and do something that will push my mind and body to its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Styles_for_miles View Post
    I agree on the first part of this, southern portion is a lot easier, also it would be a better plan.. I guess haha but I rather take on a challenge and do something that will push my mind and body to its limits.

I agree with the sentiment. Carry more food, stay out longer, (Eric Ryback hiked the AT in 1969 and carried 20 day food loads). As Deadeye says, you'll probably certainly hit a collapsed green tunnel full of Snowdowns. Daily mileage will go down to 4 if you're lucky. Postholing. Duck walking. But here's my point: Don't bail to the closest road and town!!! Stick with it, pull weather zeros on the trail in your tent, have at it. Come out a better man.

You will love the LT in early October, but by late October there will be snow on the ground. It is a very refreshing time of year with cool crisp air, some ice forming on the ponds, and great views with some of the autumn leaves still hanging around. The following is an AT Nobo thru, where it coincides with the southern half of the LT, in the first week of October.

Photos: Bromley Shelter, Stratton Pond, White Rock Cliffs (between Manchester and Killington.)

Bromley Shelter.JPGStratton Pond.JPGWhite Rocks.JPG
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    You will love the LT in early October, but by late October there will be snow on the ground. It is a very refreshing time of year with cool crisp air, some ice forming on the ponds, and great views with some of the autumn leaves still hanging around. The following is an AT Nobo thru, where it coincides with the southern half of the LT, in the first week of October.

Photos: Bromley Shelter, Stratton Pond, White Rock Cliffs (between Manchester and Killington.)

Bromley Shelter.JPGStratton Pond.JPGWhite Rocks.JPG
    Super excited to hike it, I stopped at that cabin when I thru hiked last year! Such a great spot! Thanks!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Styles_for_miles View Post
    Wow thanks for so much good info! Deff don't think it will be a walk in the park and ready for a challenge, I've never heard of anyone completing it yet in the winter months but really thinking of trying it after I take some notes for the northern section this October. Thanks again.
    Let's do compare notes after our respective fall hikes; sound like I'll be about 10 days ahead of you, starting Sept 20th.

I'm really intrigued by this challenge, but first things first; get it done in fall conditions, probably the easiest conditions possible!

Let's do compare notes after our respective fall hikes; sound like I'll be about 10 days ahead of you, starting Sept 20th.

I'm really intrigued by this challenge, but first things first; get it done in fall conditions, probably the easiest conditions possible!
    Deff agree with you, find me on Facebook or Instagram-egoodsyahknow

Winter thru would likely be so slow you'd finish in the Spring if the mud didn't get you. With skis, snowshoes and a good .gpx it could be done, but making only a few miles a day in spots really kills your food/miles efficiency. That means carrying more weight and wasting more time on resupply.

Speaking of slow LT thru hikes...I'm expecting to be doing a slow SOBO toddle starting in front of you by a week or so. Assuming you'll be in a hurry, but stop and say hi as you pass by
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I snowshoed up Jay peak from 242 once. That couple mile climb breaking trail the whole way took a couple of hours - without a pack. Crossing the ski trail near the top to get to the actual summit was a challenge as to not getting mowed down by the skiers. The LT follows or crosses ski trails at several locations. You won't be able to spend the night in any of the warming huts when their in active use either.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    Winter thru would likely be so slow you'd finish in the Spring if the mud didn't get you. With skis, snowshoes and a good .gpx it could be done, but making only a few miles a day in spots really kills your food/miles efficiency. That means carrying more weight and wasting more time on resupply.

Speaking of slow LT thru hikes...I'm expecting to be doing a slow SOBO toddle starting in front of you by a week or so. Assuming you'll be in a hurry, but stop and say hi as you pass by
    Yeah, sure sounds like slow going for a lot of this trail, probably making this endeavor into a 5-6 week outing. My PR for a bitter cold winter outing is a mere 19 days, so longer than 3-4 weeks would be really tough for this old man. Maybe I should just plan a 3-4 week outing, get as far as we can in that time frame. I think there will be three of us, taking turns breaking trail, which helps quite a bit. I vividly remember a solo peak attempt one winter out here where I slogged 4-5 hours for a lousy 1.5 miles. I gave up realizing I'd not reach the summit before well after dark.

I wonder, however, what early winter might be like out there? I grew up back east, but have lived in CO so long, I've lost touch with winter patterns out there.... Here in CO, December is one of our driest months, and January can also be very dry. We get our big snow, typically, in Feb-April. Many years hiking in December involves actual dry ground, or shallow, fluffy snow, even up high. Are there years when the deep snow has yet to accumulate in December up in VT?

Anyway, Lonestranger, I won't be going fast on this fall's LT attempt, probably 10-13 MPD up north, a few MPD faster in the south, but I typically don't take zeros either. In any case, I doubt if I'll catch up with you having a week head start. Enjoy your hike, and thanks for all the thoughts!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Are there years when the deep snow has yet to accumulate in December up in VT?
    Sure, there are some light years, like last year, but few and far between. Despite the small size of the state, there's often a huge difference from south to north and by elevation on any given day, especially in winter. The snow doesn't have to be all that deep to make a real difference in travel times and effort, and as someone above said, the LT is 3-4 weeks in summer, likely near double that in winter. I'd go, but be prepared to bail, you could get lucky!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++