WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Connecticut in May?

Mapping out 2017 section hikes, and thinking of scheduling a week hiking through CT in mid-May. Our section will go from Great Barrington, Massachusetts through Pawling, New York.

SOBO or NOBO? If there's a preference, why?

Any reason why mid-May wouldn't be a good time for this section? I assume all the snow is gone by then, and the bugs haven't gotten real hungry yet. We don't mind some chilly temperatures, so long as it's not dangerously cold. We're okay down into the teens.

Looks like mid-week resupply options in Kent or Salisbury. Probably don't need both. Which would you recommend?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Regarding Nobo/sobo: Pawling has very easy access to trains into NYC. Great Barrington has really good food. I would plan to end your trip at whichever of those two options sounds more important.

May will have plenty of bugs, how many varies significantly from year to year. Bring a headnet, and wide brimmed hat. Ticks are a concern in that area almost all times of the year so remain vigilant, I have recently become a big fan of permethrin treated clothing which works wonders against them.

The couple miles of trail just south of Great Barrington sucks, but then just a few more miles south you hit the section near the CT/MA border which is one of the most beautiful places in Southern New England.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I live too close to have ever done a resupply in that section. If you like hostels, Bearded Woods in Sharon CT has been highly recommended. Salisbury and Kent both have resupply options (again, haven't used them personally) Kent does not have laundry available to hikers but is closer to the trail if I recall. Salisbury may require a hitch to get to a resupply, as of a few years ago there was either a trail angel or small hostel in Salisbury that was well regarded

Coach Lou is quite familiar with both towns and may have some more useful info.

Journal Entries

Thank you, Elf. My only experience with CT was just a drive-thru on the way to somewhere else.
    Good reminder about the ticks, ugly little boogers when you look at them under a magnifying glass or microscope. I guess CT is ground zero? We will definitely treat, inspect, extract, monitor, and seek medical attention if warranted.

Images

5 days on Roan and I saw not one tick!!!!

I hiked from Hoyt Road to Sages Ravine this past May. Didn't see one tick. Kent is closer to trail than Salisbury. NOBO climbs Schagticoke, steep down from St. John's ledges, climb Prospect and lions head. There in s also a 5 Mile or so river walk.

There's a really good grocery in the center of Salisbury. No hitch required, unless walking less than a mile off trail is too much for you.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    There's a really good grocery in the center of Salisbury. No hitch required, unless walking less than a mile off trail is too much for you.
    Good to know, thank you.
    "Too much" depends on how hungry we are!

The IGA in Salisbury has to be the most expensive in the country, with the one in Kent a close second. The Bearded Woods was a nice place to stay with a great dinner and breakfast. I went through CT/MA in late May this year. Bugs were not a problem, but it was getting down right hot and muggy. I had dry weather (it didn't start to rain much until I got into VT, thanks), but if it's a wet May, then it's not a pleasant experience.

In terms of effort, I don't think it makes much difference which way you go, base it on the easiest logistics of getting in and out. If using public transportation from TN, it makes little difference which way to go. You get to Pawling via NYC and you get to Great Barrington via Boston. Although getting to Great Barrington is a little tricky. You can get to Williamstown, MA more easily by bus from Boston and is the closest place you can get directly to the trail from. Starting/ending at Williamstown would only add a couple of days to the trip and allows you to effectively finish MA too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Look at that, I figured out how to do a duplicate post...
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 08-05-2016 at 23:00. Reason: Dup post.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    I hiked from Hoyt Road to Sages Ravine this past May. Didn't see one tick. Kent is closer to trail than Salisbury. NOBO climbs Schagticoke, steep down from St. John's ledges, climb Prospect and lions head. There in s also a 5 Mile or so river walk.
    This year has been the lowest tick year that I've ever seen in CT, same with bugs but too a lesser extent. I think it's because of the fairly severe drought that we had this spring. It's been amazing, but it's certainly not typical.

Images

I have hiked Connecticut in May probably about 20 times. It is a great time to go! I love going then because insects are hardly ever a problem. You won't have a ton of company because, of course, most thru-hikers are substantially south of there. But, you'll see lots of wildflowers (the stretch just past 10 Mile River is especially nice) and generally the temperatures aren't too too high. I highly recommend it! My only caveat is that I'd try and avoid the super-popular, easily accessible sites over the Memorial Day weekend. But that is a very minor problem.

Jane

You can also get to NYC from Great Barrington via Peter Pan bus.

++ New Posts ++