WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Did I read you are taking a 5 day shakedown hike? Is that your only hike planned before the thru? I've only just started last fall, but have done 4 hikes so far with at least 2 more planned this fall. I find I am still figuring out what I like, don't like, use/don't use. Was not sure if this 5 day trip is your only experience, if so perhaps do some additional trips trying things out.

As for saving weight, my pack started a little over 40, and I've already replaced my tent saving 2.5#, replaced a camping pad with a lighter neoair xlite saving a pound, Before doing a thru, I am sure I would replace my heavy sleeping bag with something much lighter saving close to 2 lbs.

12.5 is fine. If you want to get lighter, you can certainly go smaller and lighter with your pack; you can switch out to a lighter bag in the warmer months. Having good information on water sources so you don't carry more than you need is a cheap and effective way to carry less weight. Your trail name could be ol' retired Navy gal if you want.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I bring what I want and need. I don't bring what I don't want or need. The weight of my pack is utterly irrelevant. The day I have to worry about the weight of my pack will be a sad day indeed.

12.5 lbs sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

The day I have to worry about the weight of my pack will be a sad day indeed.

It will come and it won't be a sad day. You will have gained enough wisdom to be thankful you've made it this far.

Most likely your perspective will be different at 60 from what it is at 30.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 08-09-2016 at 17:34.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Nothing to fear. It's like having sex for first time.
    You will realize you were worried about nothing

Even if you do it sub-optimally, it's still pretty good.
    Backpacking for the first time is like losing your virginity?

Hmm, do you mean because beforehand everybody expects it to be magical and beautiful, the sort of thing that John Mayor would write an acoustic song about. Then when it actually happens the experience leaves them feeling awkward, slightly embarrassed, sore in ways they had never felt before, and they quickly find themselves throwing their previous expectations of acceptable personal hygiene out the window?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Backpacking for the first time is like losing your virginity?

Hmm, do you mean because beforehand everybody expects it to be magical and beautiful, the sort of thing that John Mayor would write an acoustic song about. Then when it actually happens the experience leaves them feeling awkward, slightly embarrassed, sore in ways they had never felt before, and they quickly find themselves throwing their previous expectations of acceptable personal hygiene out the window?
    Its messy, sweaty, leaving you sore and exhausted. Some people think its fun, some just enjoy the experience of doing it, and others only do it a few times and say it's not for them. I still enjoy hiking though.

Doing just that shake down hike in October at Springer Mountain for 5 days. I will definitely take you advice about Mountain Crossings. Thanks.

The men's version weighed less and cost less. But now am rethinking that I might go with a quilt.

Yes, the October is my first "real hike" and shake down with all my gear. After that I will be doing a few weekend hikes thru out the Florida winter. But I am walking every weekend with a weighted pack on the beach. The local natives think I am crazy.
    Thanks for the great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jemster View Post
    Yes, the October is my first "real hike" and shake down with all my gear. After that I will be doing a few weekend hikes thru out the Florida winter. But I am walking every weekend with a weighted pack on the beach. The local natives think I am crazy.
    Thanks for the great advice.
    You are crazy!!!!!! Too damn hot to be lugging a pack down the beach....unless it's full of beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    You are crazy!!!!!! Too damn hot to be lugging a pack down the beach....unless it's full of beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Some of us have to do what we have to do. Like toting a loaded pack in east Texas in triple digit temperatures. Or on the beach in Florida.
    Apparently it's better than using a treadmill. My backpacking buddy is recovering from a treadmill induced foot injury.
    It's always something.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

Try living in Kansas! I do have 12 mile walk to a cool spot so its not all bad.

There are 2 items in which no compromise in comfort vs weight is possible, the pack and the boots. All others, being less comfortable will provide a part of their function, in a bad but weight savvy tent, bag, mat you will still get some sleep, a cooking setup will still cook somehow an so on. But wet and cold feet with some blisters or sore shoulders and back will render the whole trip in if not impossible then in a daytime nightmare. Comfort first, anything else is the second, only if you handle 2 equally comfortable items the weight or any other characteristic might have been considered, in that particular order.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    Try living in Kansas! I do have 12 mile walk to a cool spot so its not all bad.
    I saw a hill in Kansas once, or maybe it was a mound of harvested corn...either way, it was much higher than the speedbumps we have here in Florida. If I want hills it's either the treadmill or step mill. I can get amazing resistance training walking outdoors by pushing through banana spider webs in the morning though.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by jemster View Post
    I tried on alot of packs, and have used smaller packs hiking day hikes that always end up rubbing me somewhere. The Gregory fit so well and seems to carry the weight well. I looked at lightweight packs but they were so uncomfortable once weighted down. I was hoping to make up the difference in weight with the rest of my gear, but it is so hard. Maybe I can do some adjustments to the pack to lighten it. It just fits so well.
    Do you think a 60L is too much for a thru hiker? They make them even bigger - what on earth would you use those for?
    That makes me feel more comfortable.

I have a Gregory as well. The thing is just so darn comfortable compared with some of the other things. I keep thinking of taking it back to REI for an Osprey to cut a couple pounds, but it is really comfortable. So I keep stalling.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    It will come and it won't be a sad day. You will have gained enough wisdom to be thankful you've made it this far.

Most likely your perspective will be different at 60 from what it is at 30.
    I'm 60. I've never weighed my pack.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I'm 60. I've never weighed my pack.
    But AK, I'm 35 and I can't keep up with cmoulder's pace on the trail.

Heck, I think he could outhike my dog on a dayhike!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    That makes me feel more comfortable.

I have a Gregory as well. The thing is just so darn comfortable compared with some of the other things. I keep thinking of taking it back to REI for an Osprey to cut a couple pounds, but it is really comfortable. So I keep stalling.
    Elaikases, just to clarify my earlier pack comment, there is nothing wrong with your Gregory pack. It's a great pack, it just happens to be one of the heavier ones on the market. Since you started off asking about how to lower your weight, most of us pointed to the pack because it is probably the one piece of gear where you can drop the most weight the easiest by replacing it. This of course doesn't mean that you have to do so, if it's worth the extra couple pounds to you then so be it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

But AK, I'm 35 and I can't keep up with cmoulder's pace on the trail.

Heck, I think he could outhike my dog on a dayhike!
    lol, well I only go that fast when trying to keep up with 1azarus, and he's 65 (or soon to be, I think) — I couldn't manage his pace day after day!

For me there is a direct and quite stark correlation between weight and comfort, and the difference between all-in UL now and trad heavy humping of ye olde dayes is like a horrendous, fitful night and bright, sunny day (and also cool and low humidity).

Elaikases, just to clarify my earlier pack comment, there is nothing wrong with your Gregory pack. It's a great pack, it just happens to be one of the heavier ones on the market. Since you started off asking about how to lower your weight, most of us pointed to the pack because it is probably the one piece of gear where you can drop the most weight the easiest by replacing it. This of course doesn't mean that you have to do so, if it's worth the extra couple pounds to you then so be it.
    Perhaps the bigger risk with an ultra comfortable pack is the comfort of carrying more heavy stuff. My old Dana pack can carry 60+ pounds in perfect comfort. It just doesn't move it uphill on its own. If you use some good judgement on the rest of your load, you should be fine.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++