WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Arden-17A: Greenwood Lake Area question

Hey All,
    Advance apologies if this is not in the right forum.
    I'm local to the Greenwood Lake/Harriman/Bear Mountain area, so I hike there often. In the past, I noticed a really interesting clear flat spot on the Arden-17A section of the AT--located between Fitzgerald Falls and the wooden foot bridge just before reaching the road to Greenwood Lake. I always wondered if it was there for scout groups or whatever. Anyway, I was recently hiking over there and it looked like people were living over there--there was a makeshift shelter, couch cushions, tons of trash, laundry hanging out, fire pit (which isn't allowed in this section) etc. Now, unless I'm totally clueless (I'm not, I promise) these were not backpackers or day hikers. I passed there quickly and continued my hike. Later, on my hike back, I noticed a few people hanging out over there. All good, sure, but I was hiking alone and honestly, I was a bit concerned for my safety. Usually during the fall and spring, I pack out trash from that area but didn't feel safe enough to stop and do that on this hike.
    I bring this up because I've done plenty of day hikes, but next year I plan to section hike a portion of the New York AT and I was wondering if this is something that's common in between shelters on the NY section. I know that people are urged to use the shelters but this set up was still a few miles short of Wildcat and pretty far from Fingerboard, and did not look particularly portable. Thanks.

No doubt a homeless persons camp.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

What's up everyone...I'm doing an over night hike from elk pen to wild cat shelter. Does anyone know if there has been any issues parking at elk pen and leaving the car over night??

Journal Entries

Not have heard anything bad about overnight parking at Elk Pen, I would. Happy Trails

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jgiannillo View Post
    What's up everyone...I'm doing an over night hike from elk pen to wild cat shelter. Does anyone know if there has been any issues parking at elk pen and leaving the car over night??
    There's a first time for everything, but I've never had a problem parking at the Elk Pen.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++