WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries

Default Paranormal weirdness at David Lesser Memorial Shelter three nights ago

I'll just copy/paste here from my blog since I don't feel like rewriting the story. First time in 1,000 miles I've felt truly creeped out at night. Anyone else experience weirdness out here? David Lesser Memorial Shelter is about 7-8 miles south of Harper's Ferry.

Paranormal Shelter

For Stumpy’s last night on the AT we stayed at the David Lesser Memorial Shelter. It’s a really nice shelter maintained by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club. The shelter has a deck, adirondack chairs, a swing, and a large sleeping space.

There was nothing to indicate that this shelter had any special properties. We felt comfortable and at ease. Ate a massive spaghetti dinner and bedded down in the shelter that we had to ourselves. No one else had arrived, either to stay in the shelter or to camp.

The weirdness started when Stumpy saw a light underneath me and thought I had accidentally turned on my headlamp. Not an uncommon occurrence. Except that tonight my headlamp was already stowed in the tent pouch and off. We never located the source of the brief flash of light.

I was awoken multiple times through the night by what sounded like rocks banging together. I also felt like something big was prowling around the shelter. More of a gut feeling than anything specific.

Stumpy also had trouble sleeping and was plagued by nightmares all night. We compared notes in the morning. She didn’t hear any of the rock banging noises but also felt a sense of unease.

The woods can be eeiry at night but what we felt seemed to be different from the normal “dark woods are creepy” feeling.

In the morning I walked down to get water from the spring. This spring is really far from the shelter, about a quarter of a mile. While I was gone Stumpy heard a howling from the direction of the spring. A sustained series of high pitched howls. She thought I was messing with her. It wasn’t me. I never heard anything during my trip to fetch water.

That was the end of the weirdness. We packed up and hiked to Harper’s Ferry without incident.

I wonder if that shelter resided in a “thin place.” Maybe a place where different dimensions meet. Or maybe there was a Sasquatch prowling around. Rock banging and howls are two classic signs that Sasquatch is in the area. Whatever it was it made for a memorable last night with Stumpy.
    2016 FlipFlop. GA>WV>ME>WV
    Hiking with DSLR photos at www.instagram.com/jackjoneshg
    Blog at www.thejourney.co

Why is this not in the Humor section?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Why is this not in the Humor section?
    Yeah, seriously! Although, I detect perhaps not all on this thread are actually joking......

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

You might be on to something here. I hammocked there in May and several thrus stayed in the shelter. One of them, Lucky Duck, emptied his pack, collected money, and then ran the 3.5 miles to the nearest store and back, returning with two cases of Coors Light. Where he got the energy, I'll never know. Freaky!
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Journal Entries

I sleep good at night

Because you never hear of paranormal spooks ever harming anyone.

Bigfoot either

Journal Entries
    Images

There has never been a confirmed Sasquatch event on the AT.

On the other hand, there have been some real bad seeds on the trail over the years (six or seven murdered thru hikers are more than enough proof of that).

If you are sure the howls and rockbanging were real and not a figment of your imaginations, I think it far more likely that someone was ****ing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    There has never been a confirmed Sasquatch event on the AT.

On the other hand, there have been some real bad seeds on the trail over the years (six or seven murdered thru hikers are more than enough proof of that).

If you are sure the howls and rockbanging were real and not a figment of your imaginations, I think it far more likely that someone was ****ing with you.
    To have a confirmed Sasquatch event on the AT, doesn't Sasquatch existence need to be confirmed first?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    To have a confirmed Sasquatch event on the AT, doesn't Sasquatch existence need to be confirmed first?
    It can be done simultaneously.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    It can be done simultaneously.
    Involuntary deification would be simultaneous for me as well. Not a refined defense mechanism but at least one I wouldn't have to think much about.

I camped there near the spring and can attest to the eerie feeling there. My hiking partner and I got to camp just at dusk and there was a light fog but nothing out of the norm. There was one part during the night the we both swore that we heard people talking but never saw anyone or any lights being that it was at night. I also could never shake the feeling that we were being watched and I very rarely get that feeling. I'm not really one that believes in that stuff but that place does have a creepy feeling. On the other hand that is a beautiful shelter and a really nice tenting area. I would recommend people to check it out if you are in the area!!!
    If you dont know where you're going, any trail will take you there...

Images

Another reason why I avoid shelters.

I've slept in or near this shelter on 3 separate occasions and never felt anything. I couldn't even get my wife to fool around a bit in our tent on an anniversary hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I've slept in or near this shelter on 3 separate occasions and never felt anything. I couldn't even get my wife to fool around a bit in our tent on an anniversary hike.
    Sadly I can relate to the second part

The authorities keep denying that Sasquatch exists in the Appalachians, and after sightings always claim it is a released pet or a lone one that made its way from the west.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    The authorities keep denying that Sasquatch exists in the Appalachians, and after sightings always claim it is a released pet or a lone one that made its way from the west.
    I see what you did there, and I like it.

bad mushrooms in the the spaghetti sauce... or maybe good mushrooms

Sasquatch has never been confirmed because it is an expert at LNT.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 08-10-2016 at 19:35.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Sasquatch has never been confirmed because it is an expert at LNT.
    Always figured if Sasquatch's were real someone has one in the freezer somewhere.
    "Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."

Journal Entries

Maybe you were dreaming. Or maybe the light was foxfire (look it up) you never know. Maybe someone WAS playing a joke.

Or maybe the ghosts come and go and they were trying to say something. Not all of them are bad. Remember, some try to get your attention to let you know they're there. I still wonder about this though.

As for bigfoot, let's put that to rest. You would need a large crowd of both male and female and one cannot sustain itself for hundreds of years. You never know, the sightings could have been a bear. No one can confirm it anyway. As far as I'm concerned, they do not exist. Maybe at one time but today EXTINCT.

Journal Entries

Things go Bump in the Night does not mean a critter maybe a Good ole fashion Spirit and/or merlot and spicy food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++